Laptop fan at 100% even in BIOS and safe boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

turambar95

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
So a couple days ago l booted up my laptop (Lenovo g500s, 8gb RAM, 1Tb HDD, i5 with integrated graphics) and the fan starts running at 100% and won't stop for anything. It isn't running hot (temps around 40C and never above 70C). I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I've gone in the BIOS and there's no fan control option, and I've booted into safe mode and it was the same issue. Every now and then when I'm typing itll die down but as soon as I stop it jumps right back up. I've run various virus programs and they all came back clean. Any ideas?

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Maybe it's not hot because the fans are cranking? Checked the vents to make sure it's not clogged up? If the fan is easily accessible (most laptops aren't though) I'd take the cover of and have a look.

You can blow it out with compressed air but forcing the fan to spin that way is bad for the bearings and can damage the fan, better to prevent it spinning while you clean it if possible.

turambar95

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
I actually did blow it out but I can check again. I just think its odd that its going full blast all of a sudden. Like it was normal then on the next boot it was full throttle.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Were you able to solve the problem? And if so, how?

I got myself the Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen 1700 + RX 580) gaming laptop... and its fans suddenly ramped up to 100% after playing Mass Effect Andromeda for about 4 hours.
I shut down the game, checked task manager to make sure nothing else was taxing the system, and there wasn't, but the fans kept running maxed out.
I reset the computer, even tried shutting it down several times, but fans just spin up to 100% from boot.
And they behave like this in BIOS (which I tried to reset, but it didn't work).
I even tried a clean Windows install, but of course with the fans running on max from boot-up, I figured the software is likely not a problem (especially since a clean windows install was already running on it for over a week and the fans were behaving normally).

Since this is a laptop, BIOS/UEFI is locked... and have no fan control.
Asus ROG Gaming center software does have a fan control in windows, but the slider doesn't show the RPM numbers (which just says MAX), and the slider doesn't affect the fans at all.

turambar95

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

So l actually fixed mine cuz it was a hardware problem. It was a 4-pin fan, of course, and the red wire had disconnected so there was no control signal, so it was blasting away at 100%. l just opened mine up and sodored it back together. However, my laptop is 3-4 years old and not a gaming laptop so do as you see fit. But that's what l did.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Interesting.
I'm pretty sure that if I tried soldering anything it would void my warranty (The laptop is barely over 1 month old).
Though, I could technically open it up to see if a similar problem is happening. Opening the lower compartment to access the cooling assembly, ram, cpu, ssd and HDD is not prohibited it would seem as it's all just 1 panel (there are no individual panels)... however, I don't think removing the cooling assembly is allowed... or at the very least, it could void the warranty if they discover I tried (I was told I should just be careful to not lose any screws).

turambar95

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Oh if it's under warranty just send it back/take it to the store and have them fix it. mine was well past warranty. l wouldn't mess with it at all if l were you.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

It's already arranged to go back to Asus tomorrow.
But thank you for letting me know.
I detailed the issue for Asus, so they will likely have to open the unit and see what's happening hardware-wise.
If its the same as your issue (a wire that became disconnected for whatever reason) then they will need to replace it (obviously) and possibly redo the cooling to prevent that from happening again.

I never had an issue of a fan wire disconnecting itself from the motherboard... but your issue does make sense.
I just can't figure out how this happened on a barely over a month old laptop.
The CPU and GPU temps were fine... but if the surrounding equipment (aka fan wires) are taking in the heat and then loose the soldering or the heat is concentrated in one spot for the wire which then results in your issue... then this could be a design flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.