[SOLVED] Laptop gets hot when plugged in runs cool on battery

sridhars

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2014
The heating issue cropped up about a month ago.
Plugged in temp: 65-75C, Frequently hitting 98C but not continuous while using chrome.
Battery temp: 40-50C, Temperature remains lower than 50 while using chrome.

I use Adobe Auditions, Solidworks and play Minecraft, but the temperatures remain almost the same as in plugged in chrome, a little higher.
But while on battery, the laptop still runs a little cooler (not checked, just felt the warmth) in all these applications as compared to when plugged in.
The laptop was bought in Sept 2019, specifications are:
i7-9750H
Nvidia 1660 Ti Max Q
512GB SSD
1TB HDD
12 GB RAM
(HP Pavilion gaming 15)

No high CPU or GPU usage is observed on charging or battery. I found a post https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-fine-on/f8d94317-bd4a-4267-9af8-cf6dc3251554 and followed it.

Since the problem is major with chrome, I assumed that it could be due to hardware acceleration and so closed it from chrome but that had no effect

In the Nvidia control panel, I chose Intel instead of autoselect. But still no change.
In HWMonitor I observed that there is a change in Power Limit, Temperature Limit, and Utilization Limit for the GPU when I unplug the charger. What should I do next? Could someone please explain what exactly is happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Windows power options will give you 100% cpu power and discrete graphics when plugged in.
That makes things run hot.
On battery, power is scaled back and uses integrated graphics to conserve battery run life.
You can change this behavior if you wish.

Throttling is a common problem with gaming laptops.
The coolers are small and inefficient to conserve size and weight.
Not much you can do about this except tweak the power settings.
Windows power options will give you 100% cpu power and discrete graphics when plugged in.
That makes things run hot.
On battery, power is scaled back and uses integrated graphics to conserve battery run life.
You can change this behavior if you wish.

Throttling is a common problem with gaming laptops.
The coolers are small and inefficient to conserve size and weight.
Not much you can do about this except tweak the power settings.

Solution