Laptop Hunters: Lauren 2 and Her Mom Buy a Dell

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]Yea, there's no room for aesthetics of course. 95% of folks eat at applebee or the like and are very happy with the "food".I own several windows laptops (lenovo t60p, dell d600, etc), windows desktop and one macbook.What I like about the macbook:- small and light and easy to move around when being used on ones, well.., lap top - windows laptop are heavier and more mechanically klutzy or just look snazzy for the stupid- better battery life. My lenovo with an extended battery lasts longer but it weighs about 4lbs more.- sleek and smooth case, better feel - most windows laptops have edges, and bottoms that are not smooth with connectors, can snag clothing, etc.- user interface more intuitive hardware works - with iLife I crank out dvds from from my camcorder. with windows and various software and using a windows desktop I was never been able to put out a single dvd. always hit some snag or strange error or hang or got a coaster.- I am over needing to build my own PCs - computers should now be tools and easy to use. I don't build my car either (anymore :) ).I also pay more to eat at places that don't serve canned or frozen food.So if you are cheap enjoy your windows (I still use windows, but being cheap is not my only quality). For me at least both companies are out there to provide competition and push tech forward. And its amusing how vehment the windows fan folks are. Whats to be afraid of? Or are you folks worried and trying justifying your pre-conceptions?[/citation]

If you think a laptop is HEAVY then you need to go to the gym u f*cktard.

G

Hello Mac,
Hello PC
So Mac I hear you have been overpriced for the last decade?
Yeah PC we can do that because there is only one Mac and we like to push all Mac clones out of business
Sounds like antitrust Mac!?!
Yeah PC we don't like competition.

G

I can see that most people here are the type that would rather drive a Hyundai than a Mercedes.

Yes they both take you from point A to point B.
The Huyndai is half the price of the Mercedes and might have the same engine power.

But the experience of driving a Mercedes over a Huyndai, the quality of the materials used, the design is what "drives" people to pay for the Mercedes.

Price/performace is only one side of the equation.

Yes you can get a plastic pc with the same spec as the mac for 30% less.

Forgetting the fact that most pcs look like you got them from a discount bin.

But the cost of running antivirus, dealing with constant updates and reboots for security issues.

Being treated like a thief and having to call Microsoft to reactivate my license because I added a new hard drive to my system.

My computer sending to MS my info so they can verify constantly my OS with "genuine advantage".

I could go on...

If I ever couldn't afford a mac I would definitely install linux on a pc as I really don't want to deal with all the windows problems.

Oh and by the way PC does not equal Windows.

I don't know why they compare hardware when they could try to present the positive aspects of windows (not that there are that many).

Mac adds are over the top and they are not always true but at least they compare the OS not the hardware.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]mikem24[/nom]I can see that most people here are the type that would rather drive a Hyundai than a Mercedes.[/citation]

No I'd compare this to a muscle car to a [insert brand, I don't are what]

I can work on my car, I can tweak it, pimp it out and it can do everything your car can. You want everything in a nice package with everything decided for you. Great. Me, I'm pimping my ride.

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
[citation][nom]mikem24[/nom]I can see that most people here are the type that would rather drive a Hyundai than a Mercedes.Yes they both take you from point A to point B.The Huyndai is half the price of the Mercedes and might have the same engine power.But the experience of driving a Mercedes over a Huyndai, the quality of the materials used, the design is what "drives" people to pay for the Mercedes.Price/performace is only one side of the equation.Yes you can get a plastic pc with the same spec as the mac for 30% less.Forgetting the fact that most pcs look like you got them from a discount bin.But the cost of running antivirus, dealing with constant updates and reboots for security issues.Being treated like a thief and having to call Microsoft to reactivate my license because I added a new hard drive to my system.My computer sending to MS my info so they can verify constantly my OS with "genuine advantage".I could go on...If I ever couldn't afford a mac I would definitely install linux on a pc as I really don't want to deal with all the windows problems.Oh and by the way PC does not equal Windows.I don't know why they compare hardware when they could try to present the positive aspects of windows (not that there are that many).Mac adds are over the top and they are not always true but at least they compare the OS not the hardware.[/citation]

You give a very valid point about how you can add linux and other non windows OS's on any PC. And its your choice.

However....Until Linux becomes mainstream, and it either may or may not, we have to deal with the issues until there is a final release of windows that less bulky, less virii, and has a all around good experience.
If your using a 10 Year old windows xp, or 2000, your asking for additional trouble with a constant need to update, and a constant need to update virus scanners and malware items.

People that chose to stick with windows xp, may be suffering more than vista. Not to say that vista doesn't get any of the above.

Its because at this moment in time, Windows XXX type systems carry i would think, and this is just a guess. carry 60-65 percent of the real world, and 30 ish for mac, and 10 for misc OS types.

Each of them have have bonus' and flaws, and each of them run on the same hardware.

I think the point people are trying to make is that the charge difference for asthetics is simply not right, and i wouldn't go as far as saying anti trust, but, they choose to have a higher pricing scheme, and until then, most people will choose to use a equivalent that runs what they need. Not just iphoto, and iapps, and so on.

And most laptops, like dell, and HP, and sony, and other major pc brand types that use the same chipsets, all seem to have some minor flaws, but so does apple with various asthetic issues....going forward im sure they all want to have a product that people can appeal to.

If you wanna pay 30-40 percent more plus taxes for aluminum....go ahead ;)

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Dude you're getting a Dell.I always thought MS should do a spoof on Mac's commercials.PC going off on Mac, calling him an ass. I can see Peter Griffin as PC."You know what? **** you Mac, I'm getting sick of you. I'm going to go play Left 4 Dead. Oh what's that? You can't play it? Sucks to be you"[/citation]

That commercial would be funny.

That chick was hot! I bet she always gets what she wants.

It does seem that MS is trying to take the high road here. No real slams at Macs that aren't common knowledge.

Facts and a hot chick.... this one is the best one by far.

firesoul1

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I can find a laptop with ridiculous specs on Newegg for that same price than any retail store, but thats just me. Anyway, most importantly, can macs run Crysis??. NO, Unless you reverse engineer a mac to have it work with XP.

G

All the windoze fanboys here need to go to Della, because you whine like a bunch of lonely women.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
[citation][nom]mikem24[/nom]I can see that most people here are the type that would rather drive a Hyundai than a Mercedes.Yes they both take you from point A to point B.The Huyndai is half the price of the Mercedes and might have the same engine power.But the experience of driving a Mercedes over a Huyndai, the quality of the materials used, the design is what "drives" people to pay for the Mercedes.Price/performace is only one side of the equation.Yes you can get a plastic pc with the same spec as the mac for 30% less.Forgetting the fact that most pcs look like you got them from a discount bin.But the cost of running antivirus, dealing with constant updates and reboots for security issues.Being treated like a thief and having to call Microsoft to reactivate my license because I added a new hard drive to my system.My computer sending to MS my info so they can verify constantly my OS with "genuine advantage".I could go on...If I ever couldn't afford a mac I would definitely install linux on a pc as I really don't want to deal with all the windows problems.Oh and by the way PC does not equal Windows.I don't know why they compare hardware when they could try to present the positive aspects of windows (not that there are that many).Mac adds are over the top and they are not always true but at least they compare the OS not the hardware.[/citation]

Your car argument is somewhat flawed. A Mercedes does not have the exact same engine as a Hyundai. They may have similar performance characteristics, but in no way is the design or materials used the same.

When it comes to PC's vs Mac, we are talking about the same CPU, RAM, HDD, GPU, etc. Macs can have the aluminum case, but don't forget they have the cheap plastic case for the smaller models as well. That aluminum case won't help you if you drop that laptop either way. As for the OS... OS X is not worth the price difference. I would rather go with Ubuntu or Fedora than OS X.

The truth is an Apple is just like someone who buys a Mercedes. It's not about performance, not really. It's about style, being an object of envy and being cool. It's about who can pee the farthest. If you don't have a Mac then you aren't part of the select few self proclaimed elite.

True, Mac ads don't compare hardware, because if they did people would realize they could buy the same hardware for half the price if they went PC.

MS is not stupid, they know very well every hardware vendor who sells a PC with Windows on it is their friend, so of course they will showcase hardware. Most people don't go out and buy Windows, they go out and buy a new computer and use whatever version of windows is currently on it for as long as they own that computer. And comparing price for hardware is something any sane person should be doing, current economic time non-withstanding.

G

Anyway, most importantly, can macs run Crysis??. NO, Unless you reverse engineer a mac to have it work with XP.

The usual misinformation. I run Crysis on my Mac Pro in boot camp. Runs like a champ to.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
the only thing they can come back with is saying how she would have to pay for an antivirus, which no one is forcing you to get and there are free solutions out there. but other than that, there's nothing true that apple can possibly say against this ad.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
This is where Psystar and other hackintosh builders should be throwing their hats into the ring.

How about showing a commericial of some guy with $1000 that really wants a Mac but can't afford the Apple tax. He goes online and orders up a clone for $800 and blows the other $200 on strippers.

RyanB

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Apple computers used to be a much better deal. Now days it is better to go with a dell or something. I think these adds are more about how much you are willing to spend instead of the quality of the product though. I bought a 17" MacBook Pro almost 3 years ago for several reasons. I didn't want to switch to vista, I wanted very good battery life, and I wanted decent performance and at the time the best option was a mac. If you add in things like student discounts then the macs used to be awesome deals but now are more pathetic than anything else.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
A $1,700 budget for a laptop... for a law student? What is she going to do? Render a 3D term paper? Good to see that she ended up spending $900 towards her career to be an ambulance chaser. Probably better that she spent $2000 for a Mac though... it would fit her future image of being pointless and overpriced.

funkjunky

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
[citation][nom]stryk55[/nom]This is the crap that really gets to Windows users and causes such a backlash against Apple. Don't talk and act like having a Mac makes you part of an elite group of people that is better than everyone else. And your argument about Windows being cheap somehow equates less quality? Beluga caviar may cost a lot of money, but that doesn't make me want to eat salty fish eggs...You couldn't make DVD's in your Windows machines? Sounds like a classic case of OE...operator error.[/citation]

Macbook 13" entry model runs Crysis... I've said this in every mac bashing thread, but you guys don't seem to get it.

One guy said "why does every mac user seem to run parallels if macs are enough", because over 80% of the population is still stupid enough to make program ONLY for Windows. Unfortunately if I need to do some game programming for XNA I need to boot up fusion and run in unity mode so I can have the awesomeness of mac os x, while working with visual studio. (even if I have to deal with the shittyness of visual studio... someone should build an XNA and C# compiler into vim >>;;)

ok on to my actual opinion of this commercial. Again Microsoft could have hit the nail right on the head and struck a crucial blow to apple... but alas Microsoft is retarded and compared the HARDCORE superior macbook pro (better in every way shape and form) to the 13" dell.

If they were smart they would have compared it to the 13.3" macbook, which is ALMOST identically matched to the specs of the dell. 2.4ghz core2 compared to 2.0, ddr3 memory, nvidia 9400. It would have beat the macbook in specs by a small amount and price by about $400. The battery life of the macbook is more however, and it is lighter and sturdier and will its a mac so the quality is much better overall, HOWEVER to the people who could care less about the small things. its $400 cheaper and slightly better specs... that would have been a direct educated blow to apple... but Microsoft only knows how to fail when it comes to marketing (and just about everything else).

At least this commercial has educated me to a laptop I can recommend to others if they want the great balanced specs of the macbook for $400 cheaper ;).

funkjunky

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Sorry i meant to quote this post: [citation][nom]Computer_Lots[/nom]Anybody else noticed that "Lauren" is hotness.Also, if somebody gave me a $1700 price limit, I'd spend $1699.99 for sure. Give me the 4GB RAM, 512GB SSD, and nice GPU please.Idea for another MS Add..."Gamer goes to Best Buy (cause he's a noob and doesn't know Newegg) to buy a gaming laptop." Good luck finding a Mac to play Crysis.[/citation]

but the post I quoted is equally retarded. You haven't had enough products fail on you, or perform poorly to know how important quality is. One day when you've matured past the age of a 12yo, maybe you will.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]jw42[/nom] .Wow, every time I want to change a setting in Vista it asks me five times if I'm sure I want to do this. Like I'm some idiot 3 year old. An OS should stay out of your way.[/citation]

Look, if you can't figure out how to turn Vista's UAC off..... then you need it more than you know.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005

You're wrong. Most people here are the type that will change their own oil, brakes, etc, regardless of what type of car we drive. There are way more expensive PC setup than Macs. Quad SLI/Xfire anyone? We just rather not take our cars to the Mercedez dealership for an $80 oil change (what are you gonna do when that battery dies and you have to give up your iPod for a few months?). The real question is, do we get our money's worth? Most of us here feel that Apple's service and quality assurance makes their product overpriced. Morevoer they do not provide an outlet channel to build your own Mac. We'd rather keep our money and service the computer ourselves. Even Alienware, Dell, and companies are way expensive. I'd guess that 50% of the folks who visit this sites service their own computers and BYOC, and the other 50% just wants to visit to see whats the latest and greatest.

It's kinda funny how all Mac users feel like they are driving BMW and Mercedez and all PC users are driving economy cars, when in fact, PCs setup have way more potential then Macs. Macs are given to you the way it is, PC can be built into anything which leaves room for configurations that are not "stable." Ever heard the saying "Sailing in calm waters does not make a good sailor"? I just wonder how good OSX can do if people can insert any "uncertified" apple component into their computer? Oh yeah, a 4870 512MB DDR5 upgrade kit for $349? Please.

christop

Distinguished
All I hear some saying you can't play crysis or left4dead.. Big deal some people use macs for work to make money not to play games.. I leave the games to a desktop. You can't make money playing games so why is it a point people make... I sure don't want a piece of crap like a dell or hp.. There is always people saying macs are expensive yeah they cost more but how is it any different to buy one mac over a 5 year span or 2 other 1000 dollar Dell OR H.P laptops I know I will get blasted on this but it's just my opinion

Powersworder

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Gyro[/nom] The usual misinformation. I run Crysis on my Mac Pro in boot camp. Jerks around like a $2 whore![/citation]

Fixed that up for you. ;)

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Gyro[/nom]Anyway, most importantly, can macs run Crysis??. NO, Unless you reverse engineer a mac to have it work with XP.The usual misinformation. I run Crysis on my Mac Pro in boot camp. Runs like a champ to.[/citation]
SOOOOOO you spent the extra money to get a mac pro that comes with shitty specs compared to other gaming systems in the same price range and still ended up running windows on it???

Status
Not open for further replies.