Laptop Hunters: Lauren 2 and Her Mom Buy a Dell

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
They are commercials- of course Apple is lying.

I always wondered why these people start with a budget of $1700. Why wouldn't a $500 Inspiron/HP/Acer/Asus do just fine for them? I'm running autocad and lots of power-hungry engineering apps at work on an AMD system that is slower than my 5 year old Dell Inspiron.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]All I hear some saying you can't play crysis or left4dead.. Big deal some people use macs for work to make money not to play games.. I leave the games to a desktop. You can't make money playing games so why is it a point people make... I sure don't want a piece of crap like a dell or hp.. There is always people saying macs are expensive yeah they cost more but how is it any different to buy one mac over a 5 year span or 2 other 1000 dollar Dell OR H.P laptops I know I will get blasted on this but it's just my opinion[/citation]

You shouldn't get blasted.

You are welcome to your opinion. If your work is better done on a Mac or you prefer it on a Mac, so be it. Your opinion was better said than most.

People mention games for a few reasons. Some of use really enjoy playing games, so we use the computer as a tool to bring us joy. Games are also a good benchmark for performance.

I have worked on many 4 and 5 year old Dell laptops. I find the older ones tougher than today's versions. A large portion of people using laptops would be well served with a 4 or 5 year old Mac or Dell. I do some work on the side for a company who is currently using 7 year old Dells. The outside guys don't want to give them up. Old engineers are not always open to change.

I believe that people who replace their laptops every 2-3 years fall into 3 categories.

1.Power users
2 More money than brains.
3 Retarded.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Really like these commercials because they appear to be so honest. I'm sure these people are not pre-picked or nothing is scripted. I'm sure no random person would pick a Mac if they were given that money... man wonder where the Mac sales are coming from... oh well.

-MS Zombie

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I like it, speed, portability, battery life for under $1700. So they only mention one mac and it's $2000. How about the $1299 macbook - 13", Core 2 Duo + DDR3 memory, and a SOLID 3+ hours on battery. Not to mention it has the magnetic ac jack, one piece solid aluminum body, plus you can put it on your lap without it overheating because the air intake is behind the screen. Don't mention that....

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]I like it, speed, portability, battery life for under $1700. So they only mention one mac and it's $2000. How about the $1299 macbook - 13", Core 2 Duo + DDR3 memory, and a SOLID 3+ hours on battery. Not to mention it has the magnetic ac jack, one piece solid aluminum body, plus you can put it on your lap without it overheating because the air intake is behind the screen. Don't mention that....[/citation]

Your so silly, who would spend money on quality, it's always QUANTITY over quality. Are you even american?! TERRORIST!!

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]kamkal[/nom]If you think a laptop is HEAVY then you need to go to the gym u f*cktard.[/citation]

wow impressive comeback... you should play the PC in the MAC vs PC comercials.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
So the reason why "PC" is better is because is cheap? That the point of the ad.

Back in the 80s... Amigas were Faster, Cheaper and more powerful than a Mac or IBM/Clone/PC. See how well that workd.

BTW: most important, hottest girl yet on a PC AD. I doubt she'll be a lawyer, more likely on a website... with her computer and stockings.

CircusMusic

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Gyro[/nom]I run Crysis on my Mac Pro in boot camp. Runs like a champ to.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure that running in boot camp you mean windows?
So on top of the Higher price of Macs you forking out money for windows so you can play games? Seems a little strange to me....

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Nossy[/nom]Typical mac-boy response. Not being able to put together a DVD in Windows? But yet claims that you used to build your own PC? Priceless.[/citation]

So how much time have you spent installing drivers, reinstalling windows because its corrupted or just wondering why the usb device you just plugged in isn't seen by windows. Apparently your time is worthless. My time is indeed priceless so thanks for the compliment.

WINDOWS - for those whose time is worthless !!!

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]So how much time have you spent installing drivers, reinstalling windows because its corrupted or just wondering why the usb device you just plugged in isn't seen by windows. Apparently your time is worthless. My time is indeed priceless so thanks for the compliment.WINDOWS - for those whose time is worthless !!![/citation]
hmmm none i have never had to reinstall drivers or wonder why a usb device didnt work....you mac users believe that everytime a pc is switched on there's the BSOD right there....it's that kinda of total ignorance that pisses most of us off on this site.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]So the reason why "PC" is better is because is cheap? That the point of the ad.Back in the 80s... Amigas were Faster, Cheaper and more powerful than a Mac or IBM/Clone/PC. See how well that workd.BTW: most important, hottest girl yet on a PC AD. I doubt she'll be a lawyer, more likely on a website... with her computer and stockings.[/citation]

Pc's are better because they offer the best price to performance ratio,i am sorry but i can't in good conscience walk into a mac store and pay 2000 dolalrs for a mac pro with a gts120 graphics card,no RAID,no SSD,No velociraptor/hettah drives and less than 6gb of ddr 3 (not even the 1333 mhz,the 1066mhz!!!!!) i mean 2000 dollars everywhere else would buy a machine with incredibly superios specs....how could i possibly spend that money on a mac with such shit specs and live with myself??????

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Nossy[/nom]You're wrong. Most people here are the type that will change their own oil, brakes, etc, regardless of what type of car we drive. citation]

Its unfortunate that you haven't the buying power to get something good and can't afford to have it serviced. Personally, per your analogy, I am done with being covered in oil and have the means to have peons do it for me.

Its time the fake hobby of building pcs comes to an end. Luckily windows is stable enough *not* so you can waste your life building yet another windows PC. WHY !?!? Jeez, spend your life doing something constructive for kris sakes!

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
[citation][nom]rooseveltdon[/nom]hmmm none i have never had to reinstall drivers or wonder why a usb device didnt work....you mac users believe that everytime a pc is switched on there's the BSOD right there....it's that kinda of total ignorance that pisses most of us off on this site.[/citation]

Silly wabbit. Your time is more valuable posting here instead I presume? And posting here save you money? Wow, good logic. Or maybe I could be wrong since Macboys shouldn't have any business to visit Toms unless you were paid by Apple or an Apple magazine/websit to post here.

There's nothing wrong in servicing something yourself. Its not a matter of how much money you have to spend, it's a matter of what you want to spend it on. I am guessing that you're the type that pays Geek Squad to plug in your HDMI monster cable.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]i just thought of something, if windows is soo bad than why are soo many mac users running parallels desktop with windows??? maybe a mac is just not enough.[/citation]
Because Windows has such a stranglehold on the software industry that sometimes you need to cross over to run a certain application. It's especially true for games. Macs are more than capable to handle games, but the market is too slow to justify companies porting games over.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I find these entertaining.

A law student wouldn't need anything over 80 gigs, a 2GHz monocore, and 512MB of ram...
Cost of old used notebook with these specs? $100 if even.

ZeroTech

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
First, $1700 for a laptop is too much. Either Mac or PC.
I do not see the point of buying a $1000+ laptop to do schoolwork, go online, watch some videos, etc.

Second, I always wonder what will happen if OSX opens up and allows you to run it on your own hardware. I think BSOD or Beach Ball of Death (is that the name?) will appear very very very often.
It's like little kids in a party, one or two can easily be handled, try to manage 15+ kids correctly and you are bound to run into problems.
And you cannot say you have a party with only 1 or 2 guests.
Hopefully you get my metaphor.

Thrid, one of my favorite myths is the no-virus/super_protected myth.
Read this: http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23941/53/

To those that say that Windows gives headaches, it is slugish, etc (like in the Mac ad). I don't know what you are doing with your PC. I run every application I need, I install new applications to test out (now starting to use VPC), I have software that I don't use (other family members use), and I never run into problems. No headaches and no slugish performance. I just make sure that what needs to be running is running and what should not be running is not.

Maxor127, I know that based on the hardware of some Macs, some current games can be handled, but the price you pay for it is more than what you pay with a PC.

Core i7 2.66Ghz Nahalem: $280
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB)DDR3 1333: $115
EVGA E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58: $300
EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB: $320
Other Things(Case+HDD+DVD Burner+etc): ~$500
Total: ~$1500

Those specs are for a quick build close (actually better) to the 1 CPU MacPro.
The differece is $1500 PC vs $2500 MacPro. Are you really willing to pay $1000 for an OS?

issar85

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I've been a tech for some time now and I have held Microsoft and Apple certifications. At home, I use a Mac Mini, a home build HTPC, and a Gateway laptop. What make a Macintosh so compelling is that its simple. And to set the record straight, my Mini has been compatible with everything I've thrown at it. My mini is used by my daughter for surfing the web, for educational games, and learning to type. I also use to get maintain all my records, family photos, videos, and all the important "cannot afford to lose" stuff. Why? Because I don't have to screw with the system and go on a treasure hunt for the software I need to do the things that my Mac does right out of the box. It was simple and I didn't have a headache after working with it. I use PCs for fun and entertainment because I can play all the games I want on them (However, Vista doesn't like AvP 2). BTW, number of reinstalls for my Mac, ZERO. Reinstalls for my 7 month old laptop, about to do number 3 (my wife says I tinker too much)

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I hate it when Apple portraits a PC as a middle-aged slightly overweight and balbed buisniss man (or office drone).

Have they ever heard of case / PC modding? Custom cases? Gaming cases? With UV lights amd neon string and whatnot?

If anything, a PC should be portraid as a kewl black dude with lots of bling, expensive clothes and jewlery, showing of "standard common guy" looking mac.

In my view, a PC is a kewl - can do anything - machine, as for a mac... well.. it's like a standard everyday guy... looks ok... works ok... but there's NOTHING special about it. If anything, it's limited to basic functions and narrow software support.

***** Disclaimer ***** No racial pun intended, i don't mean to offend anybody. If my commend was offensive, i apologise and ask for an admin to erased.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Nossy[/nom]Silly wabbit. Your time is more valuable posting here instead I presume? And posting here save you money? Wow, good logic. Or maybe I could be wrong since Macboys shouldn't have any business to visit Toms unless you were paid by Apple or an Apple magazine/website to post here.There's nothing wrong in servicing something yourself. Its not a matter of how much money you have to spend, it's a matter of what you want to spend it on. I am guessing that you're the type that pays Geek Squad to plug in your HDMI monster cable.[/citation]
and your point? i come here to get tech info on the stuff i could get to upgrade my pc whenever i want to that has nothing to do with work

Arguggi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
These ads aren't any better than the Apple ads where the PC was a middle aged fat guy and the MAC was a young guy, and they were just saying idiotic things.

And please, if you have to reinstall your Vista/Xp every month, learn to use a damn PC, it's YOUR fault, not MS.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
I said this 10 times before - Intel Dual Core, 3GB ram, 250GB HD - $449 with no tax at Newegg.

What the heck can I get for $449 (oops I mean $415 cause Apple charges tax) at the Apple store? A big Ipod? Apples are for lame-o liberal latte-sipping posers at Starbucks. Artsy my @ss.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]mikem24[/nom]I can see that most people here are the type that would rather drive a Hyundai than a Mercedes.Yes they both take you from point A to point B.The Huyndai is half the price of the Mercedes and might have the same engine power.But the experience of driving a Mercedes over a Huyndai, the quality of the materials used, the design is what "drives" people to pay for the Mercedes.Price/performace is only one side of the equation.Yes you can get a plastic pc with the same spec as the mac for 30% less.Forgetting the fact that most pcs look like you got them from a discount bin.But the cost of running antivirus, dealing with constant updates and reboots for security issues.Being treated like a thief and having to call Microsoft to reactivate my license because I added a new hard drive to my system.My computer sending to MS my info so they can verify constantly my OS with "genuine advantage".I could go on...If I ever couldn't afford a mac I would definitely install linux on a pc as I really don't want to deal with all the windows problems.Oh and by the way PC does not equal Windows.I don't know why they compare hardware when they could try to present the positive aspects of windows (not that there are that many).Mac adds are over the top and they are not always true but at least they compare the OS not the hardware.[/citation]

Wow are you trying to hard. If mac was even close to a crappy Mercedes hmm well if i was going to compare mac os to a car i would defanitly compare it to some over priced car with no.... nvm it is a mercedes.

And as long as mac stays in the cult following status it has now you wont have to deal with constant updates and anti virus macs just arent populer enough and at those prices for that crap hardware is there any wonder?

As far as looks if i were to go up to the 2k rang of laptops on the pc end they are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better looking then that cheap plastic apple calls a laptop.

The one and only thing i can even agree on you said is having to call MS when you change enough hardware. Its stupid but at least i have control over my OS.

Until apples gets their heads out of their ass's they can kiss my iAss if they want me to pay 3x more for something that wont do anything i want.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
It could be most people are smart and think blowing and extra $1500 for a laptop for simply having a apple on it is retarded. Dunno there could be something to it. But hey who am i to judge i mean if i blow 2k on a laptop i want to be able to shut down my desktop cuz hell i might not need it for a bit now cuz i just spent 2k on a laptop that has the specs of my desktop. Now if i had got the apple my phone would be more powerfull and it only costs retail $700... wait.... i think i see a patern here about apple pricing....

Status
Not open for further replies.