Question Laptop is completely stuck on Lenovo logo ?

tcmgl

Prominent
Feb 21, 2023
Hi techs, I am wondering if anybody can help me with this laptop.

Laptop model: Lenovo ThinkPad P50s 20FL​

User was writing a document and then left to do something else. Later he came back and seemed like the laptop has gone to sleep, but when pressing the start button, it got to the Lenonvo logo and stayed there for a long time.
I suggested to hard shutdown and try again, and that did not help, even after trying several times.
So I took the undercover off, removed all the batteries, drained the power, removed the CMOS battery to reset BIOS. Left it like that for about 10 mins, then connected all the batteries and tried again. Still stuck at Lenovo logo.
In case it was the screen, I removed the connector for the built-in laptop screen and connected it to an external screen. Same thing

When you start the laptop and press F2 or F12 right away it does not do anything, just comes right up to the Lenovo logo screen and stays stuck.

If somebody can give me more suggestions or tell me what is the issue, would really appreciate it. I do understand the basics or PC and laptop repair, but this is a new one for me.

Thanks tcmgl

Solution
And then I am able to get into the USB Windows installation media.

I am able to get into system setup BIOS fine too. So does that mean it is not the mother board correct?
Go ahead and install windows all the way. If all goes good it's his old hard drive and NOT the other parts.

Now if it does let you get windows installed and it's still acting up we need to dig deeper.

tcmgl

Prominent
Feb 21, 2023
This is a stab in the dark... perhaps a memory module failure? Maybe the BIOS is stuck in a memcheck loop. Might be worth trying a SODIMM swap.
Thank NedSmelly, I just now tried a known use SODIMM and it still stays stuck at Lenovo logo when I turn it on....is there anything else I can try? Or any other suggestions?

Mod Edit:

Or does anybody know of anything else that could be the issue? Would it be BIOS or motherboard? And if BIOS, how can I check or fix? Also if motherboard and I install another known working mother, would I need to reinstall Windows again, or should it boot up from the same SSD?

Do you have a spare hard drive or ssd.

Pull the current drive and sub in the spare. Try to install windows onto it.

It will tell us a few things.

One - - if it goes past the Lenovo screen and lets you install windows we know the issue is with the original boot drive.

Two - - if that's the case, why?

Bad drive or I'm thinking while he was away Windows tried to install an update and when he thought it was stuck it was installing and now it's in limbo.

Reactions: tcmgl

tcmgl

Prominent
Feb 21, 2023
Ok, I installed another SSD and got a USB ready to install windows. When I turn the laptop on, and press F12, I can enter into Boot manager. And then I am able to get into the USB Windows installation media.

I am able to get into system setup BIOS fine too. So does that mean it is not the mother board correct?

And then I am able to get into the USB Windows installation media.

Go ahead and install windows all the way. If all goes good it's his old hard drive and NOT the other parts.

Now if it does let you get windows installed and it's still acting up we need to dig deeper.

Reactions: tcmgl
Solution

tcmgl

Prominent
Feb 21, 2023

I went ahead and installed windows all the way. Everything seems to be working completely fine. Thank you very much for your help!

Thanks, Milton

Reactions: stonecarver