Question Laptop key feels odd when pressed

William00

Honorable
May 7, 2016
I got a brand new Asus ROG GU502GV from BestBuy (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...rushed-metallic-black/6338248.p?skuId=6338248) almost a month ago and today I just noticed that the U key feels odd when pressed. It doesn't feel like it is stuck or anything but when pressed down, it feels soft compared to the other keys and make typing feel odd. Is there a way that I can fix that? I'm a bit afraid of taking off the key cap on this laptop because on my last laptop, the same thing happened and I took off the key cap and it wouldn't come back on.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The question becomes whether this is something you just noticed, that has always been that way, or whether it's a new development.

If the latter, I would definitely check to see what my return options are since it's so new. Laptop keyboards are probably the most fragile part of the machine, at least over time, and if this one is going wonky when virtually new it's not going to improve with age.

William00

Honorable
May 7, 2016
The question becomes whether this is something you just noticed, that has always been that way, or whether it's a new development.

If the latter, I would definitely check to see what my return options are since it's so new. Laptop keyboards are probably the most fragile part of the machine, at least over time, and if this one is going wonky when virtually new it's not going to improve with age.

I'm sorry, let me correct this. What I meant to say was that this just happened today. I'm not able to return it due to it being outside of the return period for BestBuy. I wanted to see if there was anything I could do before I have to go with the option of sending it in for repair.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Even if you could do something, if there is no real guarantee of it working you could end up voiding your warranty if you did.

The fact that this device is very new, and still under warranty, really does limit what you should even try.

Even though I know it's a grand PITA, when something like the keyboard is showing a malfunction this early in life I'd be very inclined to return the thing for warranty service rather than risk possibly breaking something or having a fix be temporary. Basically, I'd want another keyboard, pronto.

Reactions: William00
Try blowing out the area under the keycap with canned air. It may be something as simple as a bit of cruft underneath that you can't see. You can usually depress an adjacent key and angle the tube from the canned air in such a way as to chase it from underneath that key to the next keycap, then repeat the process until it's at the edge of the keyboard. At that point, you can usually tease it out with a straight pin or tooth pick.

William00

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Try blowing out the area under the keycap with canned air. It may be something as simple as a bit of cruft underneath that you can't see. You can usually depress an adjacent key and angle the tube from the canned air in such a way as to chase it from underneath that key to the next keycap, then repeat the process until it's at the edge of the keyboard. At that point, you can usually tease it out with a straight pin or tooth pick.

The problem with that is that the keys are separated from each other so there is no way to blow air from under the key. The only way to access the key is to remove the keycap and I'm not willing to possibly damage the key. Last time I tried that on my old laptop, I could not place the keycap back on and I had to send it in for repair. I guess the only option is to deal with it until it become a real issue where it no longer works and then send it in for repair (or at least before the warranty expires).

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I thought about the canned air suggestion myself, but the description of the key press feeling "soft" is generally precisely the opposite of what happens if you get some sort of "crumb" underneath a key.

It can't hurt to try it, though, and blasting with canned air shouldn't harm anything and won't void a warranty. Just be careful not to unintentionally pry the key off.

You should be able to at least get the tip of the air straw tucked down the side of a chicklet style key. If not, then just hold it in place at each side of the key as close to the tiny slit opening on the laptop's top and blast away.

William00

Honorable
May 7, 2016
I thought about the canned air suggestion myself, but the description of the key press feeling "soft" is generally precisely the opposite of what happens if you get some sort of "crumb" underneath a key.

It can't hurt to try it, though, and blasting with canned air shouldn't harm anything and won't void a warranty. Just be careful not to unintentionally pry the key off.

I believe I described it incorrectly. It actually requires you to press harder than the other keys. It isn't stuck, it just requires more force.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Then I suspect the possibility of a crumb of some sort under the key.

Another option is to shut the machine down, close the lid, then gently (yet with a bit of force, just not brute force) rap the short edge of the machine against your hand a couple of times while holding it vertically when doing so.

If it's a crumb, this will often dislodge it.

William00

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Then I suspect the possibility of a crumb of some sort under the key.

Another option is to shut the machine down, close the lid, then gently (yet with a bit of force, just not brute force) rap the short edge of the machine against your hand a couple of times while holding it vertically when doing so.

If it's a crumb, this will often dislodge it.

Doesn't seem to be working. I guess it is all because of crappy modern keyboard designs. I guess all I can do is send it in for repair when I think it is the right time to and take a note for myself in the future to look for laptops with decent keyboards. I heard that Cherry introduced Cherry MX switches for laptops last year. I guess that is something I should look for in the future but a search online for laptops with thin mechanical switches doesn't show very many results as of now. Maybe in the future this might be something more common. This is a gaming laptop too so I expected a somewhat decent keyboard because gaming was what it was designed for.