Laptop memory problems..

taske

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Friend of mine brought me a hp dv6358se laptop. The problem is that when i install 2 gb ram (2 x 1 gb) the laptop crashes. Sometimes it will boot up the OS(Win Vista), but it crushes after few minutes, the screen becomes black, hdd has no activity, no sounds of the processor, lights on the keyboard are on, can't turn on/off caps lock and num lock etc.. Sometimes i get blue screen and after same happens. When i install only one cell (1gb) ram it works fine, no problems.
Laptop supports max 2gb ram. The two ram cells are identical, same model (ddr2 5300). Can anyone help me with this?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I'm assuming you've tried running the laptop on each module individually. There is a chance that one module is bad... I've had that happen to me once before it was causing me considerable grief. Strongly consider making a bootable Memtest86+ CD and using that to validate you have good memory.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
http://www.memtest86.com/

That is odd that you're having that sort of problem and each module operates correctly by itself. I'd search around and see if perhaps there is a BIOS update to address that problem (I'd only do that AFTER running Memtest)

Laptops seem more critical on ram. Had problems with old Compaq 700Z Athlon. New Toshiba came with 1 Gig. I emailed Patriot and they said "No problem", ordered - No work, RMAed (Newegg) switched to Corsair. worked fine. Both brands were PC6400, Same CL 5. Used as PC5300 with CL 4.

Check Laptop web site for Memory - NOT Toshiba does not provide, AND their Tech support Lack knowege! Make sure you get the Same Rated values (SPD) as what was in there.

taske

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I've tested each module using memtest, no errors found. I'd a check on hp web site, no bios updates for this problem.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Could be a problem with the memory controller onboard... OR my other thought is heat. generally in notebooks the RAM chips are very close together the combined heat of both could cause errors... you could try keeping the cover off or run the notebook on its side in memtest with both stick to promote air flow.

You are getting memtest errors with both sticks installed arent you?

taske

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I don't think heat is the problem because sometimes it won't even show bios screen. When the power button is pressed, nothing happens, just lights from the keyboard.