[SOLVED] Laptop no longer runs on battery, stuck at 0% ?

amkanba

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
Hello everyone,

I've had this issue for a while now (about a month). I've tried reinstalling drivers, removing charging limits and most other suggested methods online but to no avail. My last resort is to reinstall Windows 11 but I'm not sure if it would help.

My laptop battery hasn't been the best ever since I bought it used. It's an Asus UX581 (Zenbook Pro Duo) with Windows 11 and the battery would last about an hour from the 80% limit I've set in the MyAsus app. If there's ever a pulled cord or a blackout I'd have enough time to finish up with whatever I'm doing.

One day I tried to open my laptop on the go to send an email. It did not start which lead me to believe that maybe I didn't shut it down properly. Once I got home I plugged it in and everything ran fine except the battery was stuck at 0%. I let it sit that way for a while but it never went up from there and it would go to sleep as soon as I'd unplug the charger and wouldn't start until I plugged it back in. (It always wakes up where I left off whenever I plug it back in so I feel like the fault lies somewhere in the software thinking that the battery is dead when it really isn't). My battery did charge up once around day 2-3 when I was playing a video game and everything worked fine unplugged until the next restart after which this never happened again.

I've tried pretty much every solution I could find on the internet. I have not tried a different charger but I assume that's not the issue as my laptop works when plugged in without a hitch and it won't charge even at idle. All that's left apart from that is to reinstall my OS and /or replace the battery. Replacing the battery is pricey where I live so I want to see if I can at least get the system to be able to charge up any new battery that I might be spending on.

Please let me know how I can get to the root of my problem and get it fixed.
Thank you in advance for any of your answers!

Solution
I've tried pretty much every solution I could find on the internet.

If this would be true, this topic wouldn't exist and you'd have your laptop fixed.

One of the two is at fault;
  1. Either your battery died completely.
  2. Or the battery charging terminal, within the laptop itself, produced a fault and won't charge any battery.

Best option is to haul your laptop to PC repair shop and pay them a bit to exactly diagnose the issue. Since if you were to buy the new and pricey battery, by finding out that the recharge terminal was at fault, you'd be spending more money to get that fixed as well.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I've tried pretty much every solution I could find on the internet.

If this would be true, this topic wouldn't exist and you'd have your laptop fixed.

One of the two is at fault;
  1. Either your battery died completely.
  2. Or the battery charging terminal, within the laptop itself, produced a fault and won't charge any battery.

Best option is to haul your laptop to PC repair shop and pay them a bit to exactly diagnose the issue. Since if you were to buy the new and pricey battery, by finding out that the recharge terminal was at fault, you'd be spending more money to get that fixed as well.

Reactions: amkanba
Solution