[SOLVED] Laptop not working after CPU upgrade

Aug 13, 2021
Hello there.
I have upgraded my old laptop today from Intel Core i5 2450m to Intel Core i7 3630qm, to give it a new life.
Please note that the laptop model I am talking about is a Toshiba Satellite L855 S5240, a laptop that has the compatible socket and chipset(Mobile HM76 Express Chipset) for the processor I want to install.
Sadly, when I press the startup button, it just starts and shuts down, while on i5, it still works. I have the latest BIOS version and I performed a BIOS reset as well(by ejecting the CMOS battery and putting it back after a while), but I wonder why it still doesn’t work, despite all these attempts?

Solution
Did the BIOS actually reset when you popped the battery out? Some laptops have a jumper pin that you have to short to truly reset it.
Aug 13, 2021
It actually did reset if I think right, but still, even before the BIOS upgrade when I put back the i5, when I upgraded the laptop at first, it still didn’t start up. Also, it doesn’t have a jumper.

Aug 13, 2021
Not much else to do. The i7 could be bad.

Wait, are you sure that CPU is compatible with this system? It's a different CPU generation, different lithography, and has a higher TDP(?) I bet it's not compatible.

It should be, especially because there are Toshiba L855 laptops with these same CPUs around. Also, the cooling system should face the 45W design. The CPU is different generation, especially because I wanted to give it a new life, with Intel HD 4000, and it is 10nm less than the i5 2450m.

It should be, especially because there are Toshiba L855 laptops with these same CPUs around. Also, the cooling system should face the 45W design. The CPU is different generation, especially because I wanted to give it a new life, with Intel HD 4000, and it is 10nm less than the i5 2450m.
They could've been flashed with special BIOSs or had hardware revisions to alow for the new CPU. I still think it's either not compatible or the CPU is bad.

Aug 13, 2021
If I clean the CPU pins with Isopropyl Alcohol, would it work, or still not?
Update: I have cleaned the CPU pins, the result is the same, which means that the CPU is indeed faulty.

Last edited: