Question Laptop Overheated and got shutdown automatically and not turning on. What could it be?

isaac_alizai666

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2014
Hi, guys!

My Lenovo V310 got overheated while I was at work and got shutdown automatically.
Now, it's not turning on and is constantly making a buzzing noise. When I try to turn it on, it makes more buzzing noise but more like a bit stronger clicks. At first, it wasn't making any noise at all when it first got powered off. The noise only appeared after I tried to turn it on and now the noise it not going away. Also, at first, it was just simple buzzing noise but now it's also clicking after each second...a lesser clicking noise than the ones when I hold down the power button.
This happened three times now.
The first two times it automatically powered off, it turned on when I pressed the power button. This time, it failed to turn on.

What could it be?

I know I didn't lose the hard disk.
Is it the motherboard?

Please be sure when you answer so I know what needs fixing because if I take it to the repair shop, they are well-known scammers and are always looking to rip the customer off by making them pay for the things they didn't even fixed and stuff.

Thank you in advance!

P.S: I tried the 30-second holding down the power button technique. It didn't work and the laptop makes clicky buzzing sound like I mentioned already. The battery is fixed inside the laptop and I can't keep opening the whole laptop just for the battery because of the risk of breaking the fragile plastic body of the laptop.

Lutfij

Titan
Maybe include an audio/video clip to add more context to the above post. You might want to disassemble the laptop and inspect your cooling assembly for any dirt or debris clogging up the vents and the fan. Chances are that the fan might need replacing. Also, with the battery unplugged, have you tried powering the laptop up with the power brick?

Please be sure when you answer so I know what needs fixing because if I take it to the repair shop, they are well-known scammers and are always looking to rip the customer off by making them pay for the things they didn't even fixed and stuff.
The way troubleshooting works is you go through trial and errors working your way through a checklist until you've narrowed down the possible culprit. Chances are very slim where you shoot once and hit the targets with that one shot. Also, if you don't know what you're doing, the laptop might end up in worse hands than it would be if it were at the repair shop.

Last edited:

isaac_alizai666

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2014
Thank you for your response, Lutfij!
Kindly check this video from the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--8u6KznAsUdYgWRVOGpPZkR60x5XGln/view?usp=drivesdk

You might be right about the fan.
The laptop hasn't been cleaned since the day it was bought. I managed to crank open a bit of the bottom panel and there was too much dirt.
I can't open the panel completely, not without proper tools at least. I barely managed to open it halfway with my nails. If I push it, I might break the casing of the laptop.
I guess I'll try with the proper tools and see if anything is jamming up the fan.

Quick question, the laptop is turned off and it's still making noises. Is there any chance for it to, I don't know, explode or something if I don't do anything about it today or tomorrow?
I don't want to pack it up in my bag after work just for it to explode on my back while I am on my motorcycle.

isaac_alizai666

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2014
Thank you for your response, Lutfij!
Kindly check this video from the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--8u6KznAsUdYgWRVOGpPZkR60x5XGln/view?usp=drivesdk

You might be right about the fan.
The laptop hasn't been cleaned since the day it was bought. I managed to crank open a bit of the bottom panel and there was too much dirt.
I can't open the panel completely, not without proper tools at least. I barely managed to open it halfway with my nails. If I push it, I might break the casing of the laptop.
I guess I'll try with the proper tools and see if anything is jamming up the fan.

Quick question, the laptop is turned off and it's still making noises. Is there any chance for it to, I don't know, explode or something if I don't do anything about it today or tomorrow?
I don't want to pack it up in my bag after work just for it to explode on my back while I am on my motorcycle.
Why I said "you might be right about the fan" is because the buzzing noise is coming exactly, exactly from that side.
I was afraid that it was the hard disk making the noise but when I heard it coming from the fan side, my heart rate went down and I calmed down a little knowing at least I didn't lose my hard disk this time like I did with my previous laptop.

isaac_alizai666

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2014
Okay, I narrowed it down quite a lot.
The buzzing and clicking noise is from one of my speakers. The left speaker, to be more specific.
When I plug out my battery from it's port, the speaker stops making noise but when it's plugged in, only then it starts making noise.

I also tried to turn on my laptop without the battery. But when I plug the charger in, the fan starts running on it's own on full speed and no lights of any kind from my laptop turns on when I hit the power button.
I even tried plugging in the battery thinking it somehow requires the battery to be plugged in.
But it's only the fan that turns on automatically at full speed and not the laptop itself.

Can you guess what could it be now?
Waiting for your reply...
Thank you in advance!

isaac_alizai666

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2014
For some reason, I am starting to believe it's the motherboard that got fired. But then, the fan, the speakers, the charging port are working which are directly connected with the motherboard.
Maybe the main half of the motherboard got fired like the part where CPU and everything is?

isaac_alizai666

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2014
Well, there goes my motherboard, I guess.
I found this and the guy says take out your RAM and try turning it on. If there are no beeps or anything at all, then the motherboard's fried.