[SOLVED] (laptop) Ryzen 5800h throttled by stock ram with sub par secondary timings?

globusdiablo

Commendable
Nov 4, 2018
Hi
I've seen data suggesting that the Ryzen 5800h (laptop) cpu runs hotter, and slower, with stock ram (lenovo legion 5) than with ram with better secondary timings.

Basically, by changing ram I can upgrade cpu performance and lower cpu temps by approx. 10 degrees celsius. Can anyone confirm/explain this to me?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Thanks. Yes, it was in a gaming benchmark. I was wondering if the stock ram were somehow bottlenecking the cpu, creating some kind of extra load/heat on the cpu? Apparently the ryzen 5800h is more sensitive to ram, than other brands?
If the RAM was causing a performance issue, then the CPU would be stalling at points. Assuming everything else it's running is negligible on CPU load, the CPU would be "idling" more than if RAM was able to feed the processor sufficiently. That's why it doesn't make sense to me slower RAM would cause it to heat up significantly.

globusdiablo

Commendable
Nov 4, 2018
By seen, can you provide links as to where you read about the tightened timings and lowered temps? Perhaps this suggestion would help with lowering temps? You might want to check and see if your laptop is pending any BISO updates. As for your fans/temps, see if you can manipulate the fan in Lenovo Vantage. Further reading.
Thanks, but I was asking if anyone could confirm/explain this phenomenon. :)

The only explanation I can think of is faster RAM keeps the processor from stalling due to waiting on RAM, which would allow it to complete a task faster. However, this would only make sense if they were running a single task that completes and adjusting the time of observation to the slower of the two outcomes.

It makes no sense to me that the processor would be hotter on slower RAM if running something like a game or some other reasonably intensive app that has an indefinite completion time.

Reactions: globusdiablo

globusdiablo

Commendable
Nov 4, 2018
The only explanation I can think of is faster RAM keeps the processor from stalling due to waiting on RAM, which would allow it to complete a task faster. However, this would only make sense if they were running a single task that completes and adjusting the time of observation to the slower of the two outcomes.

It makes no sense to me that the processor would be hotter on slower RAM if running something like a game or some other reasonably intensive app that has an indefinite completion time.
Thanks. Yes, it was in a gaming benchmark. I was wondering if the stock ram were somehow bottlenecking the cpu, creating some kind of extra load/heat on the cpu? Apparently the ryzen 5800h is more sensitive to ram, than other brands?

If the RAM was causing a performance issue, then the CPU would be stalling at points. Assuming everything else it's running is negligible on CPU load, the CPU would be "idling" more than if RAM was able to feed the processor sufficiently. That's why it doesn't make sense to me slower RAM would cause it to heat up significantly.

Reactions: globusdiablo
Solution

globusdiablo

Commendable
Nov 4, 2018
Ok. Thanks anyway. I guess the only way to know for sure, is to buy a couple of sticks with better secondary timings and find out for myself. :)

TRENDING THREADS