Laptop screen turnes black when I unplug from charger

Oct 7, 2021
Hi,

My laptop is Asus A555LF. Its over 5 years old. For the later part of those years, every time the laptop goes in battery mode, or when I unplug the charger form the laptop, the screen gones blank. The laptop has poor power back up since the battery is at the end of its life cycle but even so when I unplug, the laptop is actually running and the screen is slightly lit (you have to see it at night with no lights to notice this not 100% blank or switched off ) . I tried dual booting other OS like different version of window and even Ubuntu but its the same issue.

Could you please tell me how I can diagnose this problem? is it issues with the mouther board? the monitor or actually the battery? (though I doubt it since practically nothing changed for the laptop other than the screen )
Thanks for the help.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd start by looking into the BIOS version of the laptop. Cross reference Asus's support site for any BIOS updates then see if your OS(assuming you're on Windows 10) needs updating. Speaking of Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you on? Following that, chances are very high that in that 5 year tenure the battery on the laptop has given up and needs replacing.

Oct 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd start by looking into the BIOS version of the laptop. Cross reference Asus's support site for any BIOS updates then see if your OS(assuming you're on Windows 10) needs updating. Speaking of Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you on? Following that, chances are very high that in that 5 year tenure the battery on the laptop has given up and needs replacing.

Thank you for the warm welcome and speedy reply!

My OS version is 20H2 and yes there seems to be a BIOS update (from 2016 actually ). Although I have no idea how to install it.

As for the battery, I did check with the Asus service center. They had asked to keep the product in the center for detailed inspection on why this issues is there. But they asked for 3-4 days which I cannot spare since I'm using this laptop for work and college everyday. They also mentioned until we figure out the issue, a battery change may or may not fix the issue.