Question Laptop with Nvidia 960M suddenly performing terribly, went from 50-60 fps to 20-30

Sep 2, 2020
My Asus GL552VW has a 4GB 960M. Previously, I was able to run most games very well (I didn't play anything super taxing). But now my FPS is going way down in old games it used to render at 60+ fps like Warhammer 40K Space Marine, Rainbow Six Siege, Ghost Recon Wildlands, etc.

In the Performance tab of Task Manager my GPU the 3D graph is maxed out completely while playing almost any game, but the card is only utilizing 0.5-1.0 GB of its total 4 GB at any time, and it doesn't fluctuate much at all.

This issue has persisted even when I deleted and reinstalled drivers. Any help is appreciated.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
When you say 'previously', does that mean after a fresh Windows install, after installing a driver? Any of those kinds of details would be useful.

Also, what are your temperatures like? And, have you tried installing an older graphics driver when you were getting full performance?

I am guessing you are plugged-in to a charger when gaming, as running on battery will dramatically decrease performance?

Sep 2, 2020
By previously I mean that my laptop has performed perfectly for three years before this.

My temperatures are all normal, nothing out of the ordinary.

Yes I am always plugged in.