Question Large home network advice please

ray bright

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
I live in france and have a large house with barns etc, I originally used 8 google wifi units to spread the wifi about but slowly have introduced cat 5, as I have added cameras and alexa around the network I started to have slow down and cameras going off line Alexa stopping etc, I have now rewired with cat 6 so all the google units are wired and recently connected the ip cameras to the NVR directly to stop them hogging bandwidth. It has helped but it still has problems. I have several unmanaged switches as well in the network and I use starlink as in the middle of nowhere.

as an example I use a Logitech remote and hub and it might take 10 to 15 seconds or longer at times to operate where in the uk it’s almost instant and the cameras are slow to respond.

can anyone please advise how to improve my situation

network plan picture added

thanks

kanewolf

Titan
I live in france and have a large house with barns etc, I originally used 8 google wifi units to spread the wifi about but slowly have introduced cat 5, as I have added cameras and alexa around the network I started to have slow down and cameras going off line Alexa stopping etc, I have now rewired with cat 6 so all the google units are wired and recently connected the ip cameras to the NVR directly to stop them hogging bandwidth. It has helped but it still has problems. I have several unmanaged switches as well in the network and I use starlink as in the middle of nowhere.

as an example I use a Logitech remote and hub and it might take 10 to 15 seconds or longer at times to operate where in the uk it’s almost instant and the cameras are slow to respond.

can anyone please advise how to improve my situation

network plan picture added

thanks
Verify that ALL your wired connections shown on your diagram are gigabit.
I have never used google WIFI units, so I don't know what types of information the management interface provides.

ray bright

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
All switches are gigabit and hubs, only cat5 cable left is between barn and summerhouse as I could not be asked to dig it all up again

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
different vendors probably have different colors indicating different speed.

green LED can be either 100Mbps or gigabits/s

What NVR device do you have ? brand & model? how many cameras? wired or wireless? what's the resolution recording setting for each camera?

If the logitech remote and hub is slow, sounds like wifi channel issue. Switch Google wifi to another channel and see,

** do not own anything you have **

Last edited:

ray bright

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013

What NVR device do you have ? brand & model? how many cameras? wired or wireless? what's the resolution recording setting for each camera?

If the logitech remote and hub is slow, sounds like wifi channel issue. Switch Google wifi to another channel and see,

Foscam NVR 6 cameras turned down to low on resolution and now directly plugged in to NVR not on the network only via nvr