Lasers Enable Finer Chip Structures, Advance of Moore's Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]theuniquegamer[/nom]That means we can get 32 or more cores in the mobile chips in next few years.[/citation]

... and over 9000 in the desktop ones :D

Remember, whatever "mobile" has to offer, desktop will always pwn it.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Combine this with the molybdenite tech in the previous article and we have pocket supercomputers. Seriously the future is really exciting!!! Cant wait

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

No way. You're again patenting an IDEA, FFS! That will just slow the implementation down! Where would the humanity be if everyone would be patenting everything from the invention of the wheel, huh?

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

That's real technology, a new process of production of really small circuits. It takes years of research, a lot of knowledge and study, and a hell lot of money to even make it right, so it definitely deserves a patent to these guys.

If that's not a patent, then what is?

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]... and over 9000 in the desktop ones Remember, whatever "mobile" has to offer, desktop will always pwn it.[/citatioN]
ITS OVER 9000!!!!

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

Here is another report on the article that states things in what is, IMHO, a more accurate manner. It implies that the technology is capable of producing features that are 1/8 the size of what is currently used in the industry with a technology that is completely compatible with existing semiconductor fabrication technology.

IMHO, it is potentially more significant than the Tom's article implies - if, of course, it is actually employed in the industry.

So here's the cool thing about this, IMHO. I think the "core count" will scale as a function of area (i.e., a square function). So, for 1/8 current dimensions, you have 64x the core count. Which could mean 512 cores in the very near future. :wahoo:

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I really don't care. Patents = slow-downs in technical progress. I'm a selfish bastard and don't care for anything but my benefit :D If their research was not for the benefit of the mankind but for money, they can go #@$! themselves, period.

uproller

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]I really don't care. Patents = slow-downs in technical progress. I'm a selfish bastard and don't care for anything but my benefit If their research was not for the benefit of the mankind but for money, they can go #@$! themselves, period.[/citation]

Oh the irony.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Here is another report on the article that states things in what is, IMHO, a more accurate manner. It implies that the technology is capable of producing features that are 1/8 the size of what is currently used in the industry with a technology that is completely compatible with existing semiconductor fabrication technology.IMHO, it is potentially more significant than the Tom's article implies - if, of course, it is actually employed in the industry.So here's the cool thing about this, IMHO. I think the "core count" will scale as a function of area (i.e., a square function). So, for 1/8 current dimensions, you have 64x the core count. Which could mean 512 cores in the very near future.[/citation] say Imho one more time..

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]I really don't care. Patents = slow-downs in technical progress. I'm a selfish bastard and don't care for anything but my benefit If their research was not for the benefit of the mankind but for money, they can go #@$! themselves, period.[/citation]

Hmm, may I ask then what have YOU done for mankind ? :)
Or do you just expect others to do for you ?

You can not expect a business to do research etc for free. After all they have to somehow pay their researchers, the research assistants, the staff and the janitor. Hell, YOU may be one of the people they have to pay.
there is nothing wrong with making a buck and protecting your investment of time and brainpower if it is within socially responsible limits.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Ever heard of open source? :)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Then why don't you go into advanced computer logic and engineering and hire a bunch of researchers entirely on your own dime...and build an advanced research facility or two...and then give away each and every one of your discoveries to mankind, at no charge. :)

If you're unwilling to do this, then "[you] can go #@$! [yourself], period."

Tesla did it. Did more than anyone else at his time.

inanition02

Distinguished
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Tesla did it. Did more than anyone else at his time.[/citation]

Tesla often worked for profit - and created companies to sell his inventions. Also, we asked if you did it, not someone else. Bill Gates gives away billions - does that mean you're charitable? Or that everyone should give away everything?

Also, if you want to be Tesla, go ahead - "Because of his eccentric personality and his seemingly unbelievable and sometimes bizarre claims about possible scientific and technological developments, Tesla was ultimately ostracized and regarded as a mad scientist by many late in his life.[7] He died without much money to his name.[8]"

inanition02

Distinguished
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Ever heard of open source?[/citation]

How many people make a living from open source companies that don't protect/sell anything at all?? Oh...right...sure some companies give away some things - but no one gives away everything, at least not without a way to monetize it in some way (support, ads, licensing, long term stable versions, etc).

Anyhow, do you create large innovative open source software for free?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

No. I deploy open source software on the large scale for free. Almost as much pain in the ass, if not more, trust me :D

I know who he was, no need to copy Wikipedia. It's fine with me; the point of life is doing something that you enjoy, not "dying with much money to your name". That is a perfect consumerist's dream - get a family, kids, pay bills, grow old, die. Not bad things, but certainly not the main goal.

Before you swindle me into further off-topic, again, I do not care who and for how long has been developing what. Patents hold development back, and that is an undeniable fact.

Selling is fine. Patent trolling isn't, and every patent ends up like that nowadays. It's fine to patent a particular model or architecture - needs to be defined very precise, though, not "use CPU to process input" or whatever Apple comes up with in their patents - not a generalized idea.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Granting a patent to this new process technology would take a lot longer as the clerk would need a week just to understand each word in the title. But just about anyone can approve a rectangular design.

Status
Not open for further replies.