Last Known Good boots; blue screen otherwise

Very strange problem here. A few weeks ago my laptop started blue screening
when booting XP normally. I tried backing out to various earlier system
retore points that I know were good at the time and still got the same
behavior. Then I tried last known good (LNG) and it booted normally, although
some of my desktop configuration settings were missing. I've been living this
way for a while (booting into LNG), but it's a pain since it seems to lose
track of which Windows Updates I've installed and a few other niggling
settings. Is there a way to re-sync the registry so that the system can use
my current state as the normal boot state?

TIA for any help.

bar

When starting from the 'Last Known God': do you take trouble to run Anti
Virus Updates / Scanning and also Spyware Updates and Scan?

Do all of this AND then create a restore point.

The computer should then reboot 'normally' with this new or revised
configuration and settings.