Question Latency issues (Bufferbloat)

Jan 6, 2020
I need help with bufferbloat nothing seems to help i also get 100+ ping

Ethernet tried :CAT 6 Ethernet 150ft cause my house is old and doesnt have ports xD
QOS: tried that,btw i understand capping nothing worked so i just set it back to default View: https://imgur.com/a/inPMEec

Speed test: View: https://imgur.com/a/Ku2OEl1

have 300 down 30 up
Bufferbloat : View: https://imgur.com/a/LAOR8zr

F grade

PC SPECS:
Asus X99 A-II (weird ik) 2011v3
i7 6800k @3.4 GHZ not overclocked
GTX 1070
32GB 3000mhz ram dominator platinum
125 Samsung boot ssd (some games)
1tb wdblack HD
H100i watercooler corsiar

Router: Netgear R9000 X10 Idk if that helps anything but

Last edited:
I need help with bufferbloat nothing seems to help i also get 100+ ping

Ethernet tried
QOS: tried that,btw i understand capping nothing worked so i just set it back to default

Speed test:
have 300 down 30 up
Bufferbloat:
F grade

for soem reason cant post links with pictures, theyre blocked
use imgur it will allow you to copy a link to the photo you post before you fully post it the pase the link here
and please list pc specs

This is what happens when you run a bunch of tools and only understand the letter grade but not what it means.

Bufferbloat is actually a good thing for the vast majority people. When your connection gets to 100% utilization the ISP will hold a small amount of excess data in its memory buffers. The other option is to discard the traffic. For most application if the data is discarded it must be resent. This causes slower performance for most things.

The only people that care about bufferbloat are online gamers. Games would rather the data be discarded than delayed unlike just about any other application.

Still none of this really matters. First you will never get bufferbloat unless you use 100% of you link. Next there is really nothing you can do the buffers are in the ISP network not yours so you can't change it. What some of so called software solutions do is to artificially limit the connection to a lower speed and then try to manipulate the sent data to influence the received data. It sorta works but the only real solution is to buy a bigger internet connection. Yours is 300mbps and unless you are running torrents 24x7 you will not be maxing out the connection very often.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Unless you are experiencing this in game you're wasting your time. Most of the time game bandwidth is NOT that high and so it does not matter. Patching the products is the exception and then it does not matter anyway.

Here is some info in bufferbloat:

that said, the easiest way to stop buffer bloat is to simply limit the bandwidth I used to get it with a 110/10 cable connection on an asus RT-N66U router, I simply limited the max bandwidth for up and down by dividing my bandwidth by 4 since I had 4 users, me, wife, 2 kids, and that made it test out fine. I doubt it was ever really an issue with my strategy games like star craft, but I was interested in the concept and what it did and what a user could do in case I ever deliriously felt my 47 year old hands could keep up with modern FPS games. I can barely make it through single player games anymore, but that's another story.

richb-hanover

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Actually, Bufferbloat does matter, in most situations, and almost all the time. Unless you're the only person using the internet connection (no family, no roommates, no phones uploading pictures to the cloud) any other traffic can seriously increase your latency/lag.

Even "normal" web browsing utilizes your line 100% for a significant time - modern web pages often send 2 MBytes of data, and this is enough to briefly increase your lag.

An earlier poster is correct to link to the "What Can I Do About Bufferbloat" at https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/What_can_I_do_about_Bufferbloat/

Follow the advice listed there: Consider a commercial router that has already solved Bufferbloat, or look at installing OpenWrt.

Or yell at your current router vendor - the solution to bufferbloat has been available since 2012 - they should be incorporating it now.

Actually, Bufferbloat does matter, in most situations, and almost all the time. Unless you're the only person using the internet connection (no family, no roommates, no phones uploading pictures to the cloud) any other traffic can seriously increase your latency/lag.

Even "normal" web browsing utilizes your line 100% for a significant time - modern web pages often send 2 MBytes of data, and this is enough to briefly increase your lag.

An earlier poster is correct to link to the "What Can I Do About Bufferbloat" at https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/What_can_I_do_about_Bufferbloat/

Follow the advice listed there: Consider a commercial router that has already solved Bufferbloat, or look at installing OpenWrt.

Or yell at your current router vendor - the solution to bufferbloat has been available since 2012 - they should be incorporating it now.
Did you not see that he has a 350mbps internet connection. It is very hard to load those to 100%.

Besides if you even load openwrt or on routers that support QoS to use these feature your speed will drop massively. Modern routers use a feature that lets NAT bypass the main cpu. Without this feature most routers are lucky to pass 200-250mbps of traffic and that is only the nat the QoS function adds more overhead. You must allow the CPU to see the traffic to run any of this and thirdparty firmware does not even have the support for the hardware assist because of open software license issues.

So you pretty much if you have a large connection and it actually has a bufferbloat problem you are going to have to use a pc type of device as a router.

Bufferbloat is pretty much old news and only really applies to people with say a dsl connection.

richb-hanover

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Sorry, I have to disagree with much of what you've said.

Bufferbloat is actually a good thing for the vast majority people. When your connection gets to 100% utilization the ISP will hold a small amount of excess data in its memory buffers.

Bufferbloat is never a good thing. If we knew ISPs held only a small amount of data, it could theoretically help, but in practice ISPs often hold hundreds (or thousands) of msec of packets, creating huge bufferbloat.

The other option is to discard the traffic. For most application if the data is discarded it must be resent. This causes slower performance for most things.

This is a long-standing misapprehension. Every packet is not sacred. In fact, TCP relies on packet loss for its congestion avoidance scheme. Modern Smart Queue Management (SQM) algorithms such as fq_codel and cake (and PIE, in cable modems) control the depth of queues for every flow passing through a router. They basically keep one packet in the queue for every flow (dropping the extra's): sparse flows (gaming, VoIP, DNS lookups, etc) go right through, while bulk flows (file transfers, uploads and downloads) get throttled to give each one a fair share of the remaining bandwidth.

The only people that care about bufferbloat are online gamers. Games would rather the data be discarded than delayed unlike just about any other application.

Again, experience shows that everyone cares. I frequently help neighbors who complain, "My network at home works great until my wife comes home and her phone starts to upload photos..." When that upload starts, we measure 2,000 msec (TWO seconds) of latency. We installed a router with SQM (IQrouter) and it went away.

Still none of this really matters. First you will never get bufferbloat unless you use 100% of you link.

Yes, but... As I noted earlier, "normal" web browsing frequently maxes out your link while 2 megabytes of data get transferred. During that (admittedly short) time, the link is at 100%. That can induce plenty of lag to miss a shot.

Next there is really nothing you can do the buffers are in the ISP network not yours so you can't change it.

Modern routers (with SQM) actually can do this. (It's a clever hack, and took me a while to figure it out how it could work - but it does.) SQM routers introduce a small bottleneck (a few percent slower than the ISP's download rate) after the ISP link and before the packets "enter the router". Since that's the "slowest" part, SQM can control the length of that queue, eliminating the download bufferbloat.

re: 350mbps connection & OpenWrt

Yes, but - OP reports bufferbloat, and has asked us for advice. My advice would be to find a router that has SQM, since it directly addresses the problem of latency/lag. OP can continue to use the current router (and perhaps accept only 200 or 250mbps rates), or purchase a higher performance router (Edgerouter?) that actually can go full-rate.

I'm happy to continue this conversation. Thanks for listening.

Last edited: