Yosef Marcera

Reputable
Oct 1, 2020
I recently bought a 2nd hand AMD R9 270X graphics card, slowly upgrading from a GT 520 (I know).

I realized it requires two 6 pin PCIE cables which my current PSU doesn't have, and is recommended to be used with atleast a 500w PSU. My current PSU is a 450W Thermaltake TT-450PL1NH-1.

My PC's specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.6GHz OC
GPU: Sapphire R9 270X 2GB Vapor-X OC
RAM: 8GB DDR3 HyperX KHX16C9X3/8
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I

Since my options here aren't diverse and my budget is pretty limited, I found a Thermaltake Smart BX1 550W 80+ Br. but apparently it's out of stock. My next options and possibly only options are the Thermaltake LITEPOWER 550W that has no 80+ rating whatsoever, and the Thermaltake Smart RGB 600W 80+ which is a little bit too high for what I am able to afford.

Should I wait for the Thermaltake Smart BX1 550W 80+ Br, go for the LITEPOWER 550W, or save for the Smart RGB 600W 80+? Or can I get away with keeping my current PSU and using a PCIE 6 splitter?

I'm also not a 100% sure if all of these PSUs are compatible with my MOBO, so I might aswell ask for some insights.

Solution
right so long as connectors match up, it will work fine. they are standardized to work together easily.

the GB p550b is about the same as the CV550 i suggested while the EVGA br is slightly worse if i recall right. you could go with the P550B and not be really any different than the Corsair CV model. it is a touch cheaper as well so is worth considering.

normally these are psu's to avoid for a high end machine but your specs will be fine with such a psu. it'll not be pushed real hard at all.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
none of those options are worth it!! i understand the problem with supply and price right now but spending a few bucks more for a quality unit is ALWAYS the best way to go. save a bit longer for a better one and let that 270x wait until you have it. it's been this long a little longer won't hurt you :)

if you can link a few places you can shop and a basic budget we can scan listings and see what decent options are there for you. but settling for what are pretty much junk units is NEVER a good idea.

Reactions: Yosef Marcera
PCIe adapters are not safe.

Of the suggested PSUs the Thermaltake BX1 550w is probably the least bad and would certainly be a much better idea than your current PSU and an adapter.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend any of the PSUs you suggested as none are good, the BX550 is just probably the "least bad"

What country are you in?

Reactions: Yosef Marcera

Yosef Marcera

Reputable
Oct 1, 2020
none of those options are worth it!! i understand the problem with supply and price right now but spending a few bucks more for a quality unit is ALWAYS the best way to go. save a bit longer for a better one and let that 270x wait until you have it. it's been this long a little longer won't hurt you :)

if you can link a few places you can shop and a basic budget we can scan listings and see what decent options are there for you. but settling for what are pretty much junk units is NEVER a good idea.
Thanks a lot for the quick response! The shops I look at are usually local PC parts stores here in the country I live in (Oman). Most of them have instagram pages, some have websites. I can't order from Newegg, Amazon, or anything that's not cash on delivery or local.

Here's some of the main sites I look into:
GameHub
Gadgets Oman
Geekay Oman
ThaherTech
Sky Orbits

My budget is 20-35 OMR (50-90 USD)

Here's some more I found:
(23 OMR) KOLINK Core 80+ 500W
(25 OMR) DeepCool DN500 80+ 500W
(28 OMR) Cougar VTE500 80+ Bronze 500W
(29 OMR) GIGABYTE P550B 80+ Bronze 550W
(30 OMR) Cougar VTE 600 80+ Bronze 600W
(37 OMR) EVGA Br 80+ Bronze 500W

Yosef Marcera

Reputable
Oct 1, 2020
PCIe adapters are not safe.

Of the suggested PSUs the Thermaltake BX1 550w is probably the least bad and would certainly be a much better idea than your current PSU and an adapter.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend any of the PSUs you suggested as none are good, the BX550 is just probably the "least bad"

What country are you in?
Thanks alot for the response! I live in Muscat, Oman.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
this is about the cheapest i would go from the gamehub website

for a few bucks more the 650w version would not hurt either.

they are bottom of the line units but they are not really terrible. they've tested fairly well for their design and price. the rest that are cheaper are either no name stuff i've never heard of or they are known junk units.

i do not use instagram so i can't skim those listings without a login which i do not plan on getting.

Yosef Marcera

Reputable
Oct 1, 2020
this is about the cheapest i would go from the gamehub website

for a few bucks more the 650w version would not hurt either.

they are bottom of the line units but they are not really terrible. they've tested fairly well for their design and price. the rest that are cheaper are either no name stuff i've never heard of or they are known junk units.

i do not use instagram so i can't skim those listings without a login which i do not plan on getting.
Alright thanks! By the way, how about these options?
(29 OMR) GIGABYTE P550B 80+ Bronze 550W
(37 OMR) EVGA Br 80+ Bronze 500W

Also, the powersupply will work with my motherboard and components as long as they have the same i/o connectors right?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right so long as connectors match up, it will work fine. they are standardized to work together easily.

the GB p550b is about the same as the CV550 i suggested while the EVGA br is slightly worse if i recall right. you could go with the P550B and not be really any different than the Corsair CV model. it is a touch cheaper as well so is worth considering.

normally these are psu's to avoid for a high end machine but your specs will be fine with such a psu. it'll not be pushed real hard at all.

Solution
I am currently running a 270x and i3 8100 on a far, far worse PSU than the 3 we have narrowed it down to, so I think any of those 3 will work.

My 2600k+2060 machine in my sig ran on a BR500 and never gave me issues even when overclocked, though I didn't own it for long.

View: https://imgur.com/6WZHzIM

The BR500 is double forward with DC-DC, so just looking at that element it would be better than both the CV550 and P550B given what was said above, however, I don't know how it would compare overall. Its low end, but at least it's not group regulated AND low end.

Honestly, I don't know which would be my pick. Probably whichever is the cheapest.

TRENDING THREADS