Question Liquid Cooler Problem? High CPU Temps

Apr 28, 2019
Hey guys!

So about a month ago I purchased a pre-built PC from CYBERPOWER PC. Everything about the computer has been absolutely amazing. However, I have one concern, and it has been bugging me a lot for almost two weeks now. I downloaded HWiNFO to help me see my CPU and GPU temperatures when I'm playing games just so I can see things are running as they should. My friend, who we will call "M" also bought the same exact PC as me, with the same specs. The specs are below.

Intel i9-9900K 3.6GHz 8 Cores
ASRock Gaming Phantom Z390 Motherboard
16GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB
Not Overclocked
Liquid Cooled (120mm AIO [One fan])

Room Temperature: 74F

The first big concern I had was when I loaded up Monster Hunter World and saw my CPU temperature was averaging around 80-83C. At first I thought it was understandable since MHW is a heavy game to run. I also thought because the i9 was very powerful. I was getting around 75 FPS on max settings. Then my friend M, who has the same computer as me, ran Killing Floor 2 and was getting around 45C on his CPU. I was getting around 70C. This made me certain that something was wrong. After a few days, playing MHW resulted in my CPU temperatures gradually going up the longer I play. The most I had it at was at average 92C on the CPU with discord and a chrome tab open. The GPU was fine as it never really went above 80C. I also tried Overwatch on maximum settings and I was getting around 70-75C on both my CPU and GPU. I have nothing else running when playing these games aside from discord. I check task manager and I have nothing chewing my computer up aside from the game I'm playing, but again, it shouldn't be.

**On Idle my temperatures are absolutely perfect. Low to Mid 30s for both GPU and CPU.

I believe the problem stems from the liquid cooler. I don't think it's doing it's job cooling the CPU. I am not sure what cooler it is but for anyone who wants to see pictures of the inside, here is the link to the computer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J1W2NHB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

People have told me to make sure the liquid cooler is fastened. I also thought of buying a new liquid cooler and just installing that but I am not sure about compatibility.
I do not have experience in hardware at all. I am scared to mess up something and potentially harm my computer. Looking at the liquid cooler, I really don't know what I'm looking at. There are three fans in total, including the liquid cooler radiator(?). It is spinning, but I'm not sure if the fan has to spin for the cooling to work or not. Any advice would help.

P.S: I have warranty and the tech support offered me to ship the computer back so they can run a bunch of tests and whatnot to see what is wrong, but honestly I am saving that for a last resort. They could potentially mess something up, or anything negative can happen to and from across the country.

Apr 28, 2019
keep it in 1 thread
Hey guys!

So about a month ago I purchased a pre-built PC from CYBERPOWER PC. Everything about the computer has been absolutely amazing. However, I have one concern, and it has been bugging me a lot for almost two weeks now. I downloaded HWiNFO to help me see my CPU and GPU temperatures when I'm playing games just so I can see things are running as they should. My friend, who we will call "M" also bought the same exact PC as me, with the same specs. The specs are below.

Intel i9-9900K 3.6GHz 8 Cores
ASRock Gaming Phantom Z390 Motherboard
16GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB
Not Overclocked
Liquid Cooled (120mm AIO [One fan])

Room Temperature: 74F

The first big concern I had was when I loaded up Monster Hunter World and saw my CPU temperature was averaging around 80-83C. At first I thought it was understandable since MHW is a heavy game to run. I also thought because the i9 was very powerful. I was getting around 75 FPS on max settings. Then my friend M, who has the same computer as me, ran Killing Floor 2 and was getting around 45C on his CPU. I was getting around 70C. This made me certain that something was wrong. After a few days, playing MHW resulted in my CPU temperatures gradually going up the longer I play. The most I had it at was at average 92C on the CPU with discord and a chrome tab open. The GPU was fine as it never really went above 80C. I also tried Overwatch on maximum settings and I was getting around 70-75C on both my CPU and GPU. I have nothing else running when playing these games aside from discord. I check task manager and I have nothing chewing my computer up aside from the game I'm playing, but again, it shouldn't be.

**On Idle my temperatures are absolutely perfect. Low to Mid 30s for both GPU and CPU.

I believe the problem stems from the liquid cooler. I don't think it's doing it's job cooling the CPU. I am not sure what cooler it is but for anyone who wants to see pictures of the inside, here is the link to the computer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J1W2NHB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

People have told me to make sure the liquid cooler is fastened. I also thought of buying a new liquid cooler and just installing that but I am not sure about compatibility.
I do not have experience in hardware at all. I am scared to mess up something and potentially harm my computer. Looking at the liquid cooler, I really don't know what I'm looking at. There are three fans in total, including the liquid cooler radiator(?). It is spinning, but I'm not sure if the fan has to spin for the cooling to work or not. Any advice would help.

P.S: I have warranty and the tech support offered me to ship the computer back so they can run a bunch of tests and whatnot to see what is wrong, but honestly I am saving that for a last resort. They could potentially mess something up, or anything negative can happen to and from across the country.