Question Liquid Cooling fans are very loud even when PC is doing only basic tasks ?

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Hello,
Recently I had a problem with my old AIO Cooler Master Ml240p Mirage, so after some tinkering with a friend we figured it out it was the fans that were the problem on the old liquid cooler. Basically they didn't spin above 800RPM at all, not even after changing their speed in BIOS and they practically didn't work on any command, my i9-9900K was reaching temps of 95-98C so I had to change something.

I remembered I have an old NZXT AIO whose pump was broken, so we decided to swap the fans from that NZXT AIO to this. All in all it works, the temps are great(90 was max on 100% load at cinebench) , we were right about the fans etc.

However I have another issue now. These fans are very loud? Even in Normal mode, they just get very loud even when I'm doing basic tasks like opening google, opening apps, entering games, programs etc. I am now wondering, is it now normal or are fans on the cooler not supposed to be this loud? When I say loud I refer to very, very loud. I changed it from Normal to Silent in BIOS but it was still, very loud on basic tasks.

I hope someone can help me a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
I'm curious to learn what the make and model of your case and the number and orientation of the fans are. In fact, which NZXTY AIO are we looking at? Ambient room air temps? Speaking of BIOS, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? How are the fans hooked up in your platform?

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Have you adjusted the fan curve in bios or changed them to pwm mode?
I tried adjusting the curve, but yet when I open something they spin really fast for a couple of seconds and it goes back down, but if nothing, my curve that I messed with ended up just raising the temps and nothing. Nothing made the fans more quiet. I haven't changed them to pwm mode, what is pwm mode?

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
I'm curious to learn what the make and model of your case and the number and orientation of the fans are. In fact, which NZXTY AIO are we looking at? Ambient room air temps? Speaking of BIOS, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? How are the fans hooked up in your platform?
It's NZXT H710 and the fans are facing the exhaust direction. I have 3 fans on the front that are intake and 1 at the back that exhaust and 2 on the top from liquid cooling that are exhaust. It's 3/3. NZXT AIO that I took fans from is Kraken x63. Newest BIOS version for Aorus z390 Elite, updated it when the newest update came out, few months back.
Fans (Liquid cooler fans) are hooked up on CPU Fan port on the motherboard.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Info needed.
What mobo - maker and exact model
WHERE on the mobo is the PUMP power cable plugged in? If that header had an adjustment for MODE, is it set to Voltage (or DC) Mode, to PWM Mode, or to AUTO? What does that header report for its "fan speed"?
These are because ONE cause of your issue may be NOT having the pump running full speed all the time as it is designed to do.

OP, I'm afraid you have fallen for a common misunderstanding. ANY settings to make your FANS quieter can ONLY slow them down, and that REDUCES your cooling. Then you get high CPU temperatures! Since you already see times when the noisy fans are not giving you enough cooling, trying to make them quieter only makes the situation worse!

It is not normal for AIO system fans running full speed and very noisy to fail to give you adequate cooling. That is why I think about pump speed. Another possibility is that the AIO liquid loop has lost a bunch of its fluid and cannot move enough fluid around the loop to carry the heat from CPU to rad.

Nick C.

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Info needed.
What mobo - maker and exact model
WHERE on the mobo is the PUMP power cable plugged in? If that header had an adjustment for MODE, is it set to Voltage (or DC) Mode, to PWM Mode, or to AUTO? What does that header report for its "fan speed"?
These are because ONE cause of your issue may be NOT having the pump running full speed all the time as it is designed to do.

OP, I'm afraid you have fallen for a common misunderstanding. ANY settings to make your FANS quieter can ONLY slow them down, and that REDUCES your cooling. Then you get high CPU temperatures! Since you already see times when the noisy fans are not giving you enough cooling, trying to make them quieter only makes the situation worse!

It is not normal for AIO system fans running full speed and very noisy to fail to give you adequate cooling. That is why I think about pump speed. Another possibility is that the AIO liquid loop has lost a bunch of its fluid and cannot move enough fluid around the loop to carry the heat from CPU to rad.
Hello thanks for the response!
Mobo is Gigabyte Aorus z390 Elite.
The pump is plugged in CPU_OPT on Mobo. Mode is set to AUTO, I don't know what does Voltage or PWM Mode even mean.
Pump speed is set to normal, as is the fan speed.
Fan speed is usually at 1000 RPM and it goes to 2000 RPMs.

I am not sure if the AIO has lost it's fluid, the temps aren't bad at all the max in cinebench is 90c on 100% load.
But the sound is killing it, it's very, very loud.