[SOLVED] looking at PRIME X570-PRO, concerned about BIOS update

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
Upgrading my rig (main parts= Ryzen 9 5900x/RX 6800XT/pcie 4.0 m.2/RAM 4000mh/z) and I have come across an issue. The motherboard I am looking at, the PRIME X570-PRO, does not have any bios flash as far as I have researched. I am getting some conflicting info that all you have to do is boot into the BIOS and update it from there, while others insist you must have a dirt cheap CPU or the MOBO will not boot up at all.

Could anyone tell me which is the case? If the latter, I am having a hard time finding the most super cheap compatible CPU possible, with the cheapest i have found being 150$ Anyone more savvy than me know of (ideally) a 20-40$ or similarly priced one?

Thanks for any info.

Solution
If you can access Bios then go to the Tools section and here you can use the EZ Flash3 Utility. Yes your correct PRIME X570-PRO does not have Flashback.

Download the latest Bios file from ASUS support to a USB that is formatted to FAT32 single partition and empty.
Rename the Bios file to PX570PRO.CAP
Bios will recognize your USB when in EZ Flash3 utility. Select the Bios file and update.
If your (old) CPU allows Bios access then you should be able to update your Bios.
Once done replace the CPU, remove the USB and reboot. You should then be good to go.
If you can access Bios then go to the Tools section and here you can use the EZ Flash3 Utility. Yes your correct PRIME X570-PRO does not have Flashback.

Download the latest Bios file from ASUS support to a USB that is formatted to FAT32 single partition and empty.
Bios will recognize your USB when in EZ Flash3 utility. Select the Bios file and update.
If your (old) CPU allows Bios access then you should be able to update your Bios.
Once done replace the CPU, remove the USB and reboot. You should then be good to go.

Reactions: owedevil
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Upgrading my rig (main parts= Ryzen 9 5900x/RX 6800XT/pcie 4.0 m.2/RAM 4000mh/z) and I have come across an issue. The motherboard I am looking at, the PRIME X570-PRO, does not have any bios flash as far as I have researched. I am getting some conflicting info that all you have to do is boot into the BIOS and update it from there, while others insist you must have a dirt cheap CPU or the MOBO will not boot up at all.

Could anyone tell me which is the case? If the latter, I am having a hard time finding the most super cheap compatible CPU possible, with the cheapest i have found being 150$ Anyone more savvy than me know of (ideally) a 20-40$ or similarly priced one?

Thanks for any info.
The 5900X CPU has been supported by the motherboard by a BIOS (2606) that was released a year ago. The probability of getting a motherboard that has a BIOS that is too old for your CPU is very low. The current non-BETA BIOS is 4002

Reactions: owedevil

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019

Thank you for the info, but that's exactly what I am wondering, if I get the mobo/CPU will I be able to access the BIOS without a cheap fill in CPU i'd have to buy simply to get it to boot up. As far as I have researched my current CPU (i7 4770) is not compatible with the PRIME X570-PRO.

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
The 5900X CPU has been supported by the motherboard by a BIOS (2606) that was released a year ago. The probability of getting a motherboard that has a BIOS that is too old for your CPU is very low. The current non-BETA BIOS is 4002
Much thanks for teh info. Still would like to be certain if possible, and get a solid answer to my initial questions if anyone is able, rather than play roulette.

PRIME X570-PRO has native support for Ryzen 9-5900x however I believe it depends on the revision and newer boards should be shipped with Bios 2606 in which case you do not need to use another CPU to update. I think also that AMD were providing a kit on earlier boards to update the Bios.
Ask the place of purchase if indeed the Bios on the board you are buying has the correct Bios for 5900x just incase it has been on the shelf for a long time.

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
PRIME X570-PRO has native support for Ryzen 9-5900x however I believe it depends on the revision and newer boards should be shipped with Bios 2606 in which case you do not need to use another CPU to update. I think also that AMD were providing a kit on earlier boards to update the Bios.
Ask the place of purchase if indeed the Bios on the board you are buying has the correct Bios for 5900x just incase it has been on the shelf for a long time.
I see, will check that out. Much thanks.