Question Looking for a color LASER printer that does 13 x 19

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i see alot of inkjet options out there, but my usage is sporadic and that would mean I would unnecessarily go through cartridges. Laser toner has a longer shelf life provided the humidity can be kept in check. Not looking for a plotter style. Also not sure if it possible to avoid MFC or AIO printers. I just need the printer. I am in the US and 13x19 is I believe called Supertabloid size.

thank you,
Jeff

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Searching for sources found these sites

https://printerstop.com/tabloid-laser-printers-11x17/?page=1

thy have some refurnished HP tabloid colour laser printers able to print up to 12.6 x 18.5" - not exactly what you said, but close.

This unit by Lexmark

https://www.lexmark.com/en_ca/printer/11396/Lexmark-CS921de

says it can handle paper up to "Super Tabloid (12" x 18")", again not quite what you said.

Probably there are others. Clearly, though, this gets you into a printer costing $1500 (refurb) to $3500 (new), plus the costs of consumable supplies. That's one good reason for having some other firm do these jobs, unless you need to do a LOT of this size.

I would also recommend you research companies that print before you buy a printer. After I found out how cheap fedex was i decided I would likely never own another printer for the small amount I use print.

Last time I felt kinda bad when I needed to print just a couple black and white pages and I used their self service machine and ended up with charge on my credit card for well under $1.

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to reply! While my usage may be mostly seasonal, it is substantial. The budget is there to have a machine at the ready when necessary. It does seem like options are few in this space when talking about large format printing without going the plotter style route. There may be savings however in using roll paper as opposed to pre-cut paper. If anyone does have a lead on a laser printer than can print 13 x 19 please chime in... 11 x 17 is not as big as I want, but it appears that may one of the few options.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
By the way, just a small issue of fine details. You have specified a size and we all are assuming that this is the size of the PAPER used, and NOT the size of the printed image on the paper. Almost all printers leave an unprinted zone of about ¼" on all sides. This prevents ink or toner trying to print beyond the paper edge and building up inside the printer.

The distinction can become relevant if your job is printing posters and signs with an "edge bleed" feature. That is, the printed image must go all the way out to the paper edge. In fact, HOW that is done is simple. You use paper just a bit larger than the final product, and print an image that IS final size. Then you trim off the edges to get printing right to the edges. This means the IMAGE size is less than the PAPER size. I thought of this when you said your seasonal jobs involve posters.

So, do you need a printer than can handle and print on paper 13" x 19" with white unprinted edges? Or, do you need a printer to print an image 13" x 19"? It can be hard to find a printer's published spec that tells the the max size of the IMAGE.

I spent several years working on printer drivers and controllers. All were laser, and all handled sizes larger than what you ask for. Some of them did so from a roll of paper, and then cut the paper to spec. The brands I know of that can handle this are Ricoh and Xerox. No individual could afford one of those. Prices started at around $100,000 USA, and went up from there. They all took massive 220V or 440V 3-phase electricity in a humidity controlled environment. However, if anyone makes what you want in some sort of printer a small business might be able to own, or an individual who is willing to spend a lot for something that isn't the size of a warehouse, then it would probably be Xerox. However, you won't find one of those on their regular consumer web page (you'd need to talk to a sales rep). Tabloid is not so hard to find, but above that, I don't think you'll want to pay the cost of a laser printer for larger paper.

TRENDING THREADS