Question Looking for a good cheap NAS

Chance1525

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2015
Hi I am looking for a NAS to put on my network. I am really only looking to put games, photos, and whatever my family wants to put on there. I'm really looking to get one as I am on a metered network. I don't pay for the internet service and my parents wont upgrade. I am currently looking at the Synology DS220+. I am looking to try and not spend that much money I know I will still have to buy the drives. I don't know much about home NAS systems so I was wondering what in your opinion would be enough based on the RAM and CPU. Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Forgot to add my brothers are on the same network as me. So me just buying more storage for my pc isn't as good of a solution. If that makes any sense.

Last edited:

bretbernhoft

Prominent
Jan 18, 2022
wherebret.com
Have you ever heard of TrueNAS? As a project, it is (if I'm not mistaken) free, well-supported and well-embraced by a huge community of power users. They have documentation on their website that can answer all of your RAM and CPU questions, which is a great resource to have. There's a bit to learn about building an NAS unit, including some special (recommended) types of parts and manufacturers.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi I am looking for a NAS to put on my network. I am really only looking to put games, photos, and whatever my family wants to put on there. I'm really looking to get one as I am on a metered network. I don't pay for the internet service and my parents wont upgrade. I am currently looking at the Synology DS220+. I am looking to try and not spend that much money I know I will still have to buy the drives. I don't know much about home NAS systems so I was wondering what in your opinion would be enough based on the RAM and CPU. Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Forgot to add my brothers are on the same network as me. So me just buying more storage for my pc isn't as good of a solution. If that makes any sense.
Still a good user interface, but cheaper than Synology is Asustor.