Question looking for an affordable budget psu price range $50 to 65 (cant go higher)

Jan 11, 2018
here is my system:
asus b85m-e/csm
i5 4590
ddr3 12gb 1600
cooler master hyper t2 cpu cooler
2HDD> 1tb and 500gb
2 case fans
gpu: gtx 980 4gb reference card (and when i recieve my fixed rx570 4gb i might switch not sure yet)

okay i think that covers it, it could be looked around from newegg,amazon,ebay.
if we can keep it under 50 to 60 ish dollars would be even better and ideal (due to taxes addition and sending i need to keep it tight)

things to keep under consideration: i wont be OCing the card, i wont be playing at 1080p since my monitor doesnt allow it so, 720p will do for me.
ive been looking around for psu like crazy but its hard for me to make a decision in a matter like this since i dont know much about it.
thanks for your suggestions&help guys.

Jan 11, 2018
Jan 11, 2018
That's because Sentey is primarily a South America brand and based on the Newegg links you've provided, I think it's pretty safe to assume you're in the U.S. ;-)
i tried on newegg, cant seem to find anything? and im not in the U.S a relative of mine will be getting it for me.
at any rate should i asssume that any of the links i posted is acceptable at all?

It is a mistake to buy a cheap psu.
It can become very expensive if it should fail under load and destroy the components it is connected to.

See if you can't find at least a tier 3 unit from a list such as this:

Of the links you listed, I think the Seasonic S12II might be the best.
Seasonic seems to be generally good.

What psu do you have now?

Jan 11, 2018
It is a mistake to buy a cheap psu.
It can become very expensive if it should fail under load and destroy the components it is connected to.

See if you can't find at least a tier 3 unit from a list such as this:

Of the links you listed, I think the Seasonic S12II might be the best.
Seasonic seems to be generally good.

What psu do you have now?
trust me ive been trying to find something from that list and also duable with the budget i have but its difficult, and the thing is that someone will be bringing it to me so timing is not my friend atm , my current psu is evga 500w 80+white

Jan 11, 2018
Do you have a problem with your 500w EVGA PSU?
It should be able to run either a GTX980 or a RX570 card.
how can i tell if my psu is having problems at all?
from the moment ive had it and until this point this is the behaviour:
never had a random reboot, never has it turned my pc off on its own while starting the pc.
playing games no reboot either, is there any physical aspect i need to check to know for certain is okay though?
i do gotta mention that a few days ago there was a thunderstorm and there was a fast small flash with a sound on the voltage regulator, but NOT on the pc as far i noticed no smell either, but after turning off my pc, and then back on after the thunderstorm ended, my ex gpu rx570 gave no video on the monitor but the fans were full speed, tested the card in another pc and same situation, everything else on the pc seems to be working just fine which is weird... maybe it was just a coincidence and the graphics already had a defect that didnt happen just yet, i put my gtx 750 ti with 6 pin from the psu and its working fine( sorry for the long story).

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Check Event Viewer/Critical for Kernel Power 41. It's an indication of your system not shutting down properly, and commonly from a poor or going bad PSU. If you don't see that and aren't experiencing problems with your current setup, I wouldn't worry about it.

In regard to the comments about "not going with budget PSU"....as you approach rated power output you should consider better quality PSU. Going budget, leave yourself a lot of head room on the supposed rating. There are quite a few sub $40 PSU that will work fine for the power loads your system requires, just don't cut it close to the mark. There is a really good PSU calculator online that will give a general idea of what your system is using. Go at LEAST 33-50% above that when using a budget unit. For instance, if your system is actually pulling 250W estimated, then consider a 500W budget PSU. I have had wonderful luck with the EVGA 600W cheapo units on systems under and up to 300W pull. I would not consider them beyond that.
edit to add- only use budget units from companies you have heard of. Don't go with the unmarked, unbranded, never heard of companies for this. It's already a level of risk, don't make it a gamble.

Jan 11, 2018
@punkncat
View: https://imgur.com/a/APgZDYl

check that out, theres a registry of that error, but ive never had a issue while turning off the pc though, what did happen is that sometimes i had to force turn off the pc with the power button.

ps: when the thunderstorm happedn was on 8/6/2019 8:59 pm
the previous ones i barely have any memmory of what happen, is that the only reason of why kernel 41 occours?

doesnt installing gpu drivers affect this too? cause sometimes when i used to update my rx 570 while updating the screen went black but only during installation and it was merely a blink of a few seconds.

Jan 11, 2018
If you are seeing that, get a higher rated PSU.
would getting an evga 600 be any good at this point or ill go with what i listed on the thread above?

at the same time i wanna test this as well but nevertheless i am considering on changing it.

What do you mean by "voltage regulator" that flashed?
Perhaps a power strip or UPS?

Seems like the storm damaged your RX570.
If you are getting it repaired under warranty, great.
Otherwise I have my doubts that it can be repaired by other than the manufacturer, and that is probably not worth it.
From all other observations, I think your psu is running normally,
A PSU that is going bad will cause strange shutdowns, failure to boot, perhaps display artifacts.
The likely cause of your rx570 damage was a power surge that your psu could not handle.
A high quality psu will have more protective circuitry that can prevent such damage.
Since the GTX980 and rx570 are comparable performers, I suggest you sell one and use the proceeds to up your budget for a quality psu with better protection.
Seasonic focus is excellent. Even a 450w unit should power your system and only $2 your budget.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-450-gold-ssr-450fm-450w/p/N82E16817151204
The 550w version is $15 more.

Jan 11, 2018
What do you mean by "voltage regulator" that flashed?
Perhaps a power strip or UPS?

Seems like the storm damaged your RX570.
If you are getting it repaired under warranty, great.
Otherwise I have my doubts that it can be repaired by other than the manufacturer, and that is probably not worth it.
From all other observations, I think your psu is running normally,
A PSU that is going bad will cause strange shutdowns, failure to boot, perhaps display artifacts.
The likely cause of your rx570 damage was a power surge that your psu could not handle.
A high quality psu will have more protective circuitry that can prevent such damage.
Since the GTX980 and rx570 are comparable performers, I suggest you sell one and use the proceeds to up your budget for a quality psu with better protection.
Seasonic focus is excellent. Even a 450w unit should power your system and only $2 your budget.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-450-gold-ssr-450fm-450w/p/N82E16817151204
The 550w version is $15 more.
@geofelt
this is what i meant with the voltage regulator to be precise https://www.forzaups.com/products/internal/FVR-1001-eng
when the thunderstorm was going on i saw two small sparks/flashes and also the sound from it on that device the FVR 1001, not on the pc as far i could tell i was like a meter away from it but still its something i would have notice and even smell it which is what i did, the pc was still working and i had visual on the monitor just like nothing has happend, no black screen.
so i decided to turn off the pc forced by pressing the power button of the pc, switched everything else off just incase something like that happend again because if i did it normally it would have taken a little while, the storm passed, switched everything back on including the pc, then i noticed right away that my gpu fans were going super fast, but i had no signal on the monitor it was black, decided to test my gtx 750 ti that i had stored and it worked just fine, tested the rx 570 in another pc same deal, fans going fast as soona s you started the pc but no signal on the monitor, no visuals.

idk for certain is this has to do with that thunderstorm, but again i dont understand how come the gpu didnt shut down or had a black screen right away after those two sparks/flashes went on the FVR 1001??? thats the thing i dont fully understand, could this have just been a coincidence and the gpu had already a fault that i didnt know about? i mean...i just dont seem to understand it, its easy to blame it on the psu but then again im not expert. (sorry for the long story had to be detailed)

What you have is called a surge protector.
To some extent, it did it's job.
It may or may not still be good.
There is probably a reset somewhere on it.

Still, these devices are only marginally better than nothing at all.
They are useful as a multiple outlet block with an on/off switch.

Your best protection during a storm would have been to not only turn the pc off, but to also unplug the unit from the wall.

I do think your graphics card was damaged.
Possibly because it did not have any surge protection.
Or, possibly because your psu passed on the surge which fortunately only impacted your graphics card.

What to do??

First, verify that the electrical outlet is grounded.
Without grounding, all bets are off.

If such storms and electrical variability are common You could buy a good UPS battery backup device that has true electrical conditioning.
They are not cheap and might cost several times your budget for a psu.
I suspect that is not an option for you.

My guess is that the gpu damage was caused by the PSU not blocking the power surge to your graphics card.
A $60 psu replacement is not going to be any more effective and you will be exposed to a similar situation in the future.

Be very grateful that the problem did not impact your motherboard which is the usual part that is damaged.

Jan 11, 2018
What you have is called a surge protector.
To some extent, it did it's job.
It may or may not still be good.
There is probably a reset somewhere on it.

Still, these devices are only marginally better than nothing at all.
They are useful as a multiple outlet block with an on/off switch.

Your best protection during a storm would have been to not only turn the pc off, but to also unplug the unit from the wall.

I do think your graphics card was damaged.
Possibly because it did not have any surge protection.
Or, possibly because your psu passed on the surge which fortunately only impacted your graphics card.

What to do??

First, verify that the electrical outlet is grounded.
Without grounding, all bets are off.

If such storms and electrical variability are common You could buy a good UPS battery backup device that has true electrical conditioning.
They are not cheap and might cost several times your budget for a psu.
I suspect that is not an option for you.

My guess is that the gpu damage was caused by the PSU not blocking the power surge to your graphics card.
A $60 psu replacement is not going to be any more effective and you will be exposed to a similar situation in the future.

Be very grateful that the problem did not impact your motherboard which is the usual part that is damaged.

i understand, and my outlet is grounded we did that a few months ago cause i wanted to protect my electronics, so that should have helped no?

Jan 11, 2018
Without a ground, excess electricity has nowhere to go but to your pc.
If your outlet was grounded, that is good... sort of.
It eliminates one issue but then leads to other questions.

Since you are running ok now, you need do nothing.
yes the outlet was grounded i made sure of that a few months ago.
exactly there are things i still dont understand it simply makes no sense.
and yeah the computer seems to be fine as far i know but i guess these kind of problems tend to be ninja mode if you get my meaning.