Question looking for new build reccomendations for 3d rendering

Jun 11, 2019
budget range within 1000 euros
system used mainly for daz 3d studio
I'm not buying a monitor
I need: motherboard (2 gpu slots + 2 ram slots), cpu (AMD), ram 16GB at least, hard drive 1T at least ( hdd or ssd the cheapest), gpu: gtx 1050ti 4GB
I don't need to buy OS
I prefer Amazoon to buy parts but I rather buy a cheapest pc pre-assembled (just economic factor)
I need the shipping in ITALY
I'd buy a gtx 1050ti 4Gb since I alrready own one and i'm looking to mount the both of them.
no overlocking
sli or crossfire between gpus
my only monitor has resolution of 1920x1080
I'm upgrading to a new pc in order to boost performance when using nvidia Iray view and rendering in 3d daz studio program. Since i don't need to render with cpu I'd rather buy cheap AMD with less cores and higher clock speed.
Thanks for the advices.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
A GTX1050ti will be your limiting factor in Iray with only 4 GB of VRAM, to the point that you’ll often switch to CPU rendering because you won’t have enough VRAM. Also, for DAZ studio, 16GB of RAM is the BARE MINIMUM and won’t be able to load/render many of the outdoor scenes available.

Before we propose a system, I would definitely reconsider the setting you’re planning, especially if you intend to be serious with that hobby. I would keep the GTX1050ti for your display only. It might struggle a bit in the openGL windows as the polygon count will reach a certain level, but normally the CPU is the limiting factor there, so you should be okay. For rendering, I would go with a much more potent GPU with more VRAM if you don’t want the render engine to switch to CPU rendering, especially if you want to go for a weaker CPU. I would say a 6GB VRAM card would be the minimum, but more would be better, and you would get more CUDA cores to render your images faster.

Unfortunately, rendering using Iray needs more expensive hardware than with 3Delight, but that something they don’t tell you when you get into DAZ studio.

Jun 11, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply.
Won't 2 1050ti split the work and saving some dime?
As your suggestion I should invest on a GPU upgrade on my current system.

Now beside the specs I'm not sure my actual motherboard would supports a GTX 2070 for instance and I don't know where to look to give you the model number, therefore I'll send some pics.

My current desktop mounts:
CPU Intel I5
8 GB RAM (motherboard can't mount more)
500 HDD
RTX 1050ti

We optimize textures and rendering settings, but it's working !

PS I knew at the end Nvidia wanted it all. Since when Iray has become a DAZ deal? Or ... is it the other way aroud? =0

Jun 11, 2019
Monitoring my current GPU while rendering it shows that 3350 out of 4000 GB is in use while the CPU Load is 97% more or less. This after have hit the 4070gb workload.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Partly yes, partly no. The CUDA cores will add up, so two GTX1050ti will run twice as fast as one GTX1050ti (2x768 CUDA cores = 1536 cores). However, the VRAM won’t add up, therefore you’ll be limited to the 4GB of one card as each card has to load all textures included in the scene. A single RTX2070 with 2304 CUDA cores and 8GB VRAM will therefore outperform tremendously the two 1050ti and allow scenes twice as big as what you would be able to render with the two 4GB cards. However, because you already have the GTX1050ti, you could have the 1050 solely for display and the GTX1070 solely for rendering (now if you wanted to play game, that would be a bummer!). The advantage of having two discreate cards, one for display and one for rendering, is not negligible, as you might face strange behavior and black screen if trying to do anything on the computer while rendering when you have a single card (been there, saw that).

That being said, looking at the specs of your current computer I would strongly advise NOT to put any money on that. This computer is severely limited by DAZ standard. Yes you can optimize textures and scenes to be able to render them, but once you upgrade, you would be right to expect your build to be able to handle bigger scenes, which it won’t. The max 16 GB RAM this motherboard is capable to handle is a killer, especially paired with a more powerful GPU. If at this point you can’t afford a more suitable computer yet, I would rather wait and continue with this computer to make sure you like to make renders for a while, and in the meantime, I would save further until you can afford a computer that will truly fulfil your needs.
You could probably get very something descent for 2000 Euros, but that’s a lot of money.
Yeah, Nvidia are really cashing with DAZ since they implemented Iray. A lot of people are running 2-8 GTX1080ti to make their renders, and AMD is a no-go.

Jun 11, 2019
So buying a 1080ti today could be a good beginning for both an upgrade of this oldy and as a second GPU of an hypotetical future pc which has one more 1080ti "built-in" already.

2000 it's way up for now.

Let's say I have two graphic cards (1080ti and 1050ti) dual linking on a new workstation: how could I split the work in Display and Rendering? We are talking about BIOS, DAZ SETTINGS or GEFORCE SETTINGS?

A Very big thanks for this help from MILANO!
First but surely not last time on Tom's Hardware.
Is it a free community ?

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
In DAZ studio, if you have more than 1 GPU installed in your system, once Nividia Iray is selected as your Engine, got to the Settings Tab > Editor> Advanced. There you can select which GPU(s) you want to use for the render. In such scenarios, I would select only the GTX080ti and let the GTX1050ti unchecked. of course your monitor would need to be hooked to the 1050, not the 1080! ;-)

Anyhow, it is much easier to plan ahead when you know what you are looking for!

Cheers!