[SOLVED] Looking for PC Upgrade Advice

tolienbosheit

Prominent
Feb 17, 2021
Hey everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. Built a PC back in 2013 (ORPHEUS 2013 Build) with the intention of upgrading slowly, but I've fallen off following current tech and trends. Been having some processing bottlenecks recently that I'd like to address, especially when Chrome is open on my second monitor. From looking at CPU compatibility, I'm not convinced that upgrading mine would be a significant increase but please correct me if I'm wrong! I think, primarily, upgrading GPU, RAM, and swapping the remaining traditional hard drives to SSD's will probably help the most. Thoughts and parts suggestions?

Ideally will be running 2-3 monitors off of the GPU. Just picked up this Dell 32" monitor that should arrive Friday. Also, on a side note, if anyone has any suggestions for a below-desk mount that will fit the Corsair 540 case, I'd appreciate it. Just set up my new Uplift desk and would love to have the surface clear if possible....maybe just need to put it on the ground on a pedestal and manage cable swap or custom build a mount....

Forgot to add: The computer is used mostly for gaming, as well as some drafting work (AutoCAD/Vectorworks). I live in NYC and don't have a budget defined at the moment, but would not like to wantonly spend on parts I can't use in a future build or will only serve to patch the issue in the very near term.

Last edited:
Solution
I'm with the others, save your money and build a new machine. Parts are so much faster today than they were in '13.

One bit of advise, stick with Intel for CAD and the like, AMD often doesn't play nice with these heavy hitters and the support channel will always blame the AMD chip.

I built a 9900k last summer. It's got nearly the same mhz and ram speeds as a 5930k it replaced, but is literally 80-100% faster on tasks.

Also, very hard to get parts right now, prices are very high if you can find parts.
You need a whole system upgrade.
You cant move to a new platform with swapping the cpu,mobo and ram.
Here is what i suggest.
Keep your system and money for 1 more year.
We should see a new platform,likely based on ddr5,and the GPU prices should drop.
Currently you cant get a gpu without paying 2x the original price (unless you can somehow get it for the normal price ofcourse).
1440p 165hz will be hard to run,both for the cpu and the gpu.
So that is why i think you need a whole new system,rather than a cpu or gpu upgrade.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. Built a PC back in 2013 (ORPHEUS 2013 Build) with the intention of upgrading slowly, but I've fallen off following current tech and trends. Been having some processing bottlenecks recently that I'd like to address, especially when Chrome is open on my second monitor. From looking at CPU compatibility, I'm not convinced that upgrading mine would be a significant increase but please correct me if I'm wrong! I think, primarily, upgrading GPU, RAM, and swapping the remaining traditional hard drives to SSD's will probably help the most. Thoughts and parts suggestions?

Ideally will be running 2-3 monitors off of the GPU. Just picked up this Dell 32" monitor that should arrive Friday. Also, on a side note, if anyone has any suggestions for a below-desk mount that will fit the Corsair 540 case, I'd appreciate it. Just set up my new Uplift desk and would love to have the surface clear if possible....maybe just need to put it on the ground on a pedestal and manage cable swap or custom build a mount....
Depends on your budget and where you live and can buy parts.

Also you never listed what the PC is used for.

For a simple upgrade a used 4790K would help.

tolienbosheit

Prominent
Feb 17, 2021
You need a whole system upgrade.
You cant move to a new platform with swapping the cpu,mobo and ram.
Here is what i suggest.
Keep your system and money for 1 more year.
We should see a new platform,likely based on ddr5,and the GPU prices should drop.
Currently you cant get a gpu without paying 2x the original price (unless you can somehow get it for the normal price ofcourse).
1440p 165hz will be hard to run,both for the cpu and the gpu.
So that is why i think you need a whole new system,rather than a cpu or gpu upgrade.
That was the line of thought my mind was wandering down as well... At this point it seems to be patching a problem and spending money on parts that will not be usable in a new build.

Depends on your budget and where you live and can buy parts.
Also you never listed what the PC is used for.
For a simple upgrade a used 4790K would help.
I'll post the updates above. Mostly Gaming, some drafting (AutoCAD/Vectorworks). Living in NYC, no budget defined at the moment.

Reactions: Dj0gany

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
I'm with the others, save your money and build a new machine. Parts are so much faster today than they were in '13.

One bit of advise, stick with Intel for CAD and the like, AMD often doesn't play nice with these heavy hitters and the support channel will always blame the AMD chip.

I built a 9900k last summer. It's got nearly the same mhz and ram speeds as a 5930k it replaced, but is literally 80-100% faster on tasks.

Also, very hard to get parts right now, prices are very high if you can find parts.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution