techflame700

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018
I currently have an old Logitech X140 speaker system hooked up to my PC. Since they are pretty old I was thinking about replacing them with something that sounds a little better. I only have room on my desk for a 2.0 setup but I could squeeze a 2.1 in if I had to. Do you have any recommendations/suggestions? Thanks!

Here is the model number of the X140: S-0264-A

Solution
Does the addition of a subwoofer make a difference? I was looking at the Logitech Z323 as a replacement. Is it worth it? I just want clear sounding audio not desk rattling bass.

Those are mediocre speakers, for clear audio I would stick to the 2.0 real speakers, not the cheaper 2.1 setups. Those are usually tuned for more punch impact in audio not cor clarity or even response. Like I said, you are right under the good quality stuff for your price, For under 80 or so you are almost looking at just a side move from what you have, not an upgrade. The speakers I linked are a clear upgrade. Spending $50 to get a small benefit vs 80 to get a big benefit, I would pick the higher price 100% of the time. Even a kid can save up...
D

Deleted member 217926

What kind of budget? We can go from $20 to $2000 pretty easily here. :p

Also newer doesn't mean better with speakers. Especially not if it was something decent to start with.

I can spend up $65.

You are right on the edge of "eh.. " and "good" For 80 on Amazon you can get Edifier R1010BT which are great for the price, but are larger than yours. You can connect a phone or something to them though since they are bluetooth so you have some nice options. For 70 there is Edifier R980T, almost same thing minus bluetooth.

If you care about how music sounds and better clarity than a budget 2.1 setup, I would get those in the under $100 range, although you will need the desk space for them.

20,40 extra is not all that much to add to get good quality vs just settling for something that you will be using often for years. I bought a nice set of speakers for my computer almost 20 years ago, and still using them, never felt the need to replace them. If I bought some cheaper ones I was looking at then I would have already purchased another set, just spending more money, or would have not been as satisfied in using them.

Last edited:

christopher.john.sr

Commendable
Oct 15, 2017
If the sound quality of your original speakers has dipped enough to make it time for a replacement, then by all means, do so, even at $65.

If it's not really because of sound quality, may I suggest not replacing the speakers you have with 2.0 speakers at your given $65 budget. Instead, while you take some more time to stack a little more coin, you can research a few good deals on a solid 2.1 system (time to add that subwoofer to your setup).

techflame700

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018
Does the addition of a subwoofer make a difference? I was looking at the Logitech Z323 as a replacement. Is it worth it? I just want clear sounding audio not desk rattling bass.

Last edited:

Those are mediocre speakers, for clear audio I would stick to the 2.0 real speakers, not the cheaper 2.1 setups. Those are usually tuned for more punch impact in audio not cor clarity or even response. Like I said, you are right under the good quality stuff for your price, For under 80 or so you are almost looking at just a side move from what you have, not an upgrade. The speakers I linked are a clear upgrade. Spending $50 to get a small benefit vs 80 to get a big benefit, I would pick the higher price 100% of the time. Even a kid can save up another $30 from asking parents, relatives, etc...

Solution