yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
Hey y'all. I have currently an i7-6700k, gtx 1060, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz, and 1tb ssd.

Im looking to upgrade my cpu atm, and gpu in the future. So i frequently play MMO's and stream from time to time. I've been looking at the ryzen 3800x or even the i7-10700k. Any insight on a good cpu for this? and one i wont have to upgrade for some time. Or if i should just wait for ryzens new gen soon? Thanks again! Reminder: I will be upgrading my gpu so no bottleneck on any cpu when i upgrade

Solution
If gaming is your focus including MMO's then the Intel side will always be just a bit better. The 10700K is really a 9900K in disguise and a 100 bucks cheaper both 8 core 16 thread CPU's. The performance will be better than the 3700X and they hit 5GHz on a couple of cores stock and overclock all core to 5.1GHz with ease. The big issue is total cost for Z490 motherboard + CPU and this is where Ryzen comes in....

The key here is where is the money better spent? So you could go Ryzen 3600X on a B550 motherboard and put the saved money towards a better GPU and then further down the road drop in a more powerful Ryzen. This is probably the best all around performance to price value...

If money is not too much of an issue, then the 10700K is...

yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
If you aren't concerned about max overclocking get the 3700x and put the saving towards the GPU. There's only a couple hundred Mhz difference between the two resulting in little improvement for roughly $70

so let’s say I got the 3700x, would I see a big improvement from my current i7-6700k?

If gaming is your focus including MMO's then the Intel side will always be just a bit better. The 10700K is really a 9900K in disguise and a 100 bucks cheaper both 8 core 16 thread CPU's. The performance will be better than the 3700X and they hit 5GHz on a couple of cores stock and overclock all core to 5.1GHz with ease. The big issue is total cost for Z490 motherboard + CPU and this is where Ryzen comes in....

The key here is where is the money better spent? So you could go Ryzen 3600X on a B550 motherboard and put the saved money towards a better GPU and then further down the road drop in a more powerful Ryzen. This is probably the best all around performance to price value...

If money is not too much of an issue, then the 10700K is stellar for gaming and will see you through a fair few years and you still have an upgrade path to Rocket Lake.

Please note both the Ryzen 3600X/3700X and Intel 10600K/10700K routes will still be held back by the GTX 1060, though at 1080 it should be fine. Yes moving to 6 core or 8 core will help and push the frames up quite a bit but a better GPU ultimately will make the most difference.

so let’s say I got the 3700x, would I see a big improvement from my current i7-6700k?

Solution
The Ryzen option is by far the best value, being a similar performer at a lower cost. However, the Intel will perform slightly better in games. If you are streaming though, the Ryzen is probably a better option, because the Ryzen is much better for multi-core usage, which is something that streaming takes advantage of. Ryzen is also more likely to be upgradable in the future, while Intel has historically been more restricted.

Do you have a budget?
From what I see, games like MMO, strategy and sims use only a few fast threads.
For that, a i9-10900K or KF would be the best. 5.3 clock is likely.
But, those processors are hard to fine and scalpers are marking them up.
A i7-10700K is a very close alternative. 5.1 boost and 16 threads should handle any streaming needs.

I think the best ryzen will do is around 4.5 with a similar IPC

You will want a Z490 based motherboard to enable overclocking.