bojangles

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005

Hi,

Spot of trouble. I system restored back to the point where I had
updated windows media player ( to version 10 I think ) . Next thing I
knew the shortcut on the desktop was dead and media player was gone
from the start menu. I tried downloading various versions of it but
when I try to install them an error message appears claiming its
incompatible with XP. I tried uninstalling the player from control
panel but ended up wrecking service pack 2, acessories and games
(solitaire, etc.)

I was able to sort out sp2, acessories and games with the installation
cd and
media player shortcut returned to the start menu and desktop but when I
try to open it all that appears is a small error window with no
information except
a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

Can anyone help?

--
bojangles

Go to Start > Run and in the Run box copy, then paste, the following:
"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\setup_wm.exe"
Then hit the Enter key to reinstall Windows Media Player.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

bojangles Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Spot of trouble. I system restored back to the point where I had
> updated windows media player ( to version 10 I think ) . Next thing I
> knew the shortcut on the desktop was dead and media player was gone
> from the start menu. I tried downloading various versions of it but
> when I try to install them an error message appears claiming its
> incompatible with XP. I tried uninstalling the player from control
> panel but ended up wrecking service pack 2, acessories and games
> (solitaire, etc.)
>
> I was able to sort out sp2, acessories and games with the installation
> cd and
> media player shortcut returned to the start menu and desktop but when I
> try to open it all that appears is a small error window with no
> information except
> a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it.
>
> Can anyone help?

Try manually deleting the Windows Media Player folder if it is still
present in the C: drive. It should be located in Program Files. Try
deleting everything there and try reinstalling again.

--
Evolution54