Hi hope someone can help me, my computer seems to have a corrupted system
file, on start up the computer started to show lots of random letters all
over the screen, and basically kept resetting itself. I then after switching
the computer off got through to a screen where it tells me that the system
file is corrupted etc etc and to insert my xp start up cd-rom and press 'r'.
The problem is i cannot get help from microsoft as i can't get the product
id, (obviously because i can't start my computer up to look into the files
for it! Cant get through by using my laptop as it's an OEM product. So what i
really need to know it there anywhere to download and make my own windows xp
start up cd-rom to get this system file fixed? I can't use a floppy disc cos
my laptop only has cd-rom! And i have lost my original XP start up cd-rom so
i am basically screwed!!!

Also i have just started it up again and it's gone back to a fuzzy screen
with random letters all over the place!!!

"aggie" wrote:

> Hi hope someone can help me, my computer seems to have a corrupted system
> file, on start up the computer started to show lots of random letters all
> over the screen, and basically kept resetting itself. I then after switching
> the computer off got through to a screen where it tells me that the system
> file is corrupted etc etc and to insert my xp start up cd-rom and press 'r'.
> The problem is i cannot get help from microsoft as i can't get the product
> id, (obviously because i can't start my computer up to look into the files
> for it! Cant get through by using my laptop as it's an OEM product. So what i
> really need to know it there anywhere to download and make my own windows xp
> start up cd-rom to get this system file fixed? I can't use a floppy disc cos
> my laptop only has cd-rom! And i have lost my original XP start up cd-rom so
> i am basically screwed!!!

Look on the top or side of the case. You should find a Microsoft Product
Key sticker. Your Product Key is there. On laptops it is on the bottom of
the laptop. Don't turn your laptop upside down while it is powered up!

"aggie" <aggie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Also i have just started it up again and it's gone back to a fuzzy screen
> with random letters all over the place!!!
>
> "aggie" wrote:
>
>> Hi hope someone can help me, my computer seems to have a corrupted system
>> file, on start up the computer started to show lots of random letters all
>> over the screen, and basically kept resetting itself. I then after
>> switching
>> the computer off got through to a screen where it tells me that the
>> system
>> file is corrupted etc etc and to insert my xp start up cd-rom and press
>> 'r'.
>> The problem is i cannot get help from microsoft as i can't get the
>> product
>> id, (obviously because i can't start my computer up to look into the
>> files
>> for it! Cant get through by using my laptop as it's an OEM product. So
>> what i
>> really need to know it there anywhere to download and make my own windows
>> xp
>> start up cd-rom to get this system file fixed? I can't use a floppy disc
>> cos
>> my laptop only has cd-rom! And i have lost my original XP start up cd-rom
>> so
>> i am basically screwed!!!

Hi,

There is no place to download the Windows XP CD, at least not safely or
legally outside of an MSDN subscription. You need to contact the
manufacturer about getting a replacement disk, Microsoft cannot help you
with that either.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Kevin wrote:

> Look on the top or side of the case. You should find a Microsoft Product
> Key sticker. Your Product Key is there. On laptops it is on the bottom
> of
> the laptop. Don't turn your laptop upside down while it is powered up!

Why? Will the keys fall off?

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

aggie wrote on Sat, 2 Jul 2005:

>So what i really need to know it there anywhere to download and make my
>own windows xp start up cd-rom to get this system file fixed? I can't
>use a floppy disc cos my laptop only has cd-rom! And i have lost my
>original XP start up cd-rom so i am basically screwed!!!

Hi Aggie

Go here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
and look for "XP Quick Boot Diskette". I read that you don't have a
floppy drive, but it's just a zip file to download, so I don't see any
reason why you couldn't burn it to CD instead.

Hope this helps

--
Nightowl

If you lost your original XP install CD, which could also be used as the
start-up disk, you do one of the following options:

1) If it was an original XP retail kit, you should be able to contact
Microsoft and request a replacement CD (for a fee). You will need to
provide proof of purchase of an original Microsoft product.

2) If it was a OEM, you will need to contact the manufacturer, or place of
purchase, so as to see if they can provide you with another original OEM CD
(fees may apply.) You may need to provide original proof of purchase.

3) Head over to your local computer software store and pay for an original
retail kit of Microsoft XP. The software box would need to state "For PCs
without Windows installed...".

This newsgroup will not suggest you ever go tot any P2P sharing system and
get a pirated CD image.