Question low cpu/gpu usage on some games

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
Hey, so i have been having trouble running some games that my pc should be able to easily run.
SPECS
GPU: Geforce gtx 1660super (yes ALL games are running with the right gpu and not the integrated)
CPU: Ryzen 5 4600G
RAM: 16gb @ 2133mhz (can run at 3200mhz but the motherboard does not allow XMP, this is what i think might be the cause but im not sure)
System runs on m.2 and most games on ssd

In some games, i get low gpu usage, which ends up in low fps
In other games i get around 90-99% gpu usage

Some games in which i get low gpu usage (around 50-60%) are:
  • Elder scrolls V Skyrim: (yeah the 2011 game), 50ish fps or higher depending where i am
  • Escape from tarkov: 50ish to 60~fps
  • Rust: 40-90, fluctuates a lot, no matter if on lowest graphics settings or highest
  • Unturned: 55ish fps
  • Pubg: 90fps but when on cities drops down to 40-50
  • GTAV: runs well, but when going at high speeds fps dips down to 50ish

Games that run good with high gpu usage:

• Csgo
  • Apex legends
  • Conan Exiles
  • Cycle frontier
  • Black ops 3
  • Dead island
  • Dying light
  • Phasmophobia
  • Fall guys
  • Red dead redemption 2
These games that run with high gpu usage all get really good fps, most of them run at 90% gpu usage, but the other games that don't use the gpu that much run at low fps.

Since my motherboard does not allow me to change ram speeds, i was thinking of buying a new motherboard to see if i can put the ram at the right speeds, to see if the issue goes away, but i want to know what everyone thinks might be the issue, i don't know how much a ryzen cpu can be affected by low ram speeds.

Thanks

Hey, so i have been having trouble running some games that my pc should be able to easily run.
SPECS
GPU: Geforce gtx 1660super (yes ALL games are running with the right gpu and not the integrated)
CPU: Ryzen 5 4600G
RAM: 16gb @ 2133mhz (can run at 3200mhz but the motherboard does not allow XMP, this is what i think might be the cause but im not sure)
System runs on m.2 and most games on ssd

In some games, i get low gpu usage, which ends up in low fps
In other games i get around 90-99% gpu usage

Some games in which i get low gpu usage (around 50-60%) are:
  • Elder scrolls V Skyrim: (yeah the 2011 game), 50ish fps or higher depending where i am
  • Escape from tarkov: 50ish to 60~fps
  • Rust: 40-90, fluctuates a lot, no matter if on lowest graphics settings or highest
  • Unturned: 55ish fps
  • Pubg: 90fps but when on cities drops down to 40-50
  • GTAV: runs well, but when going at high speeds fps dips down to 50ish
Games that run good with high gpu usage:

• Csgo
  • Apex legends
  • Conan Exiles
  • Cycle frontier
  • Black ops 3
  • Dead island
  • Dying light
  • Phasmophobia
  • Fall guys
  • Red dead redemption 2
These games that run with high gpu usage all get really good fps, most of them run at 90% gpu usage, but the other games that don't use the gpu that much run at low fps.

Since my motherboard does not allow me to change ram speeds, i was thinking of buying a new motherboard to see if i can put the ram at the right speeds, to see if the issue goes away, but i want to know what everyone thinks might be the issue, i don't know how much a ryzen cpu can be affected by low ram speeds.

Thanks
What is this mobo?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The first batch all do better with multi core use. At least 4 cores but generally 5-6. The 4600G has very little Lcache, it uses system ram to make up the difference and with some games running higher core counts, ram-cache at slower speeds can make things suffer.

I'd see if there were things like bios that can be updated, chipset drivers, see what windows settings like Xbox DVR and Game Helper can be disabled.

Winaero tweeker is a cool little program that helps with turning off many windows ram suckers, like the windows store, tiles, Cortana voice etc

Reactions: KyaraM

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
The first batch all do better with multi core use. At least 4 cores but generally 5-6. The 4600G has very little Lcache, it uses system ram to make up the difference and with some games running higher core counts, ram-cache at slower speeds can make things suffer.

I'd see if there were things like bios that can be updated, chipset drivers, see what windows settings like Xbox DVR and Game Helper can be disabled.

Winaero tweeker is a cool little program that helps with turning off many windows ram suckers, like the windows store, tiles, Cortana voice etc
Do you think that if i upgrade mobo and get ram speeds to 3200mhz would do a big change?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pre-built mobo's are the lowest of the low. There's definitely a correlation. I mean they work just fine, but they are power limited, have the worst VRM's, there's absolutely nothing heavy duty about them, they simply aren't made to be pushed with performance. And that can and does include xmp at times. Ryzens simply work better with faster ram.

But then there's also windows. If it came with the pre-built it likely belongs to the pre-built so can be an issue with replacing, it may not just swap over.

I'd do everything before resorting to swapping mobo's at this point, that might include reinstalling windows, DDU the gpu drivers and install fresh (including any bios steps and media files etc). Do what you can for free, only then spend money if that fails.

Reactions: KyaraM