Question Low Download speed on PC

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
I am having some issues with download speed on my PC, I have an AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 Bluetooth 5.2 PCIe Adapter, Archer TX3000E and yet steam is barely pushing 1.5mbs download on steam, on the other hand my steam deck which is in the same room as my PC is downloading 19/20mbps on steam… how do I resolve my awful wifi issue on my PC, this isn’t the first PCIe Adapter I have tried either.

That is one the better wifi nic cards...the external antenna help a lot. Now it will still be no better than a wifi5 model with a 1200 number if your router can not actually use the 160mhz wide radio channels.

I would check what radio band your 2 devices are using. Maybe one is connecting on 2.4 and the other on 5. This is one of the key reason you make the SSID names different so you can force the connection where you want it.

Both 2.4 and 5 should have massively more bandwidth. Note be very sure you get the terms correct. Steam many times displays the rates in MEGA BYTES/sec where when you write it Mbps it means Mega bits/sec.

I would try switch between 2.4 and 5 and see if it is any different. Check that all the antenna connections are tight, with that fancy card you have a few more to check. Try to move the antenna block around a bit. On top of the case tends to be the best spot for most people.

After this you start wondering if it is drivers or something. I assume it happens on speedtest and when you say download a large file from microsoft?. Have you tested with a ethernet cable to see if it is only wifi that has issues.

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
That is one the better wifi nic cards...the external antenna help a lot. Now it will still be no better than a wifi5 model with a 1200 number if your router can not actually use the 160mhz wide radio channels.

I would check what radio band your 2 devices are using. Maybe one is connecting on 2.4 and the other on 5. This is one of the key reason you make the SSID names different so you can force the connection where you want it.

Both 2.4 and 5 should have massively more bandwidth. Note be very sure you get the terms correct. Steam many times displays the rates in MEGA BYTES/sec where when you write it Mbps it means Mega bits/sec.

I would try switch between 2.4 and 5 and see if it is any different. Check that all the antenna connections are tight, with that fancy card you have a few more to check. Try to move the antenna block around a bit. On top of the case tends to be the best spot for most people.

After this you start wondering if it is drivers or something. I assume it happens on speedtest and when you say download a large file from microsoft?. Have you tested with a ethernet cable to see if it is only wifi that has issues.
So tbf my speed test gives me like 19 mb download speed which I’d say is normal, bad download speed but I can’t even get more than that in my area. Sucks right.

TRENDING THREADS