[SOLVED] Low fps on games (30fps) while CPU,GPU and RAM usage is under 20%

Jozo3

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
Hello, my Laptop:
HP Omen, Intel i7-9750H Processor, NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 GB, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Windows 10

So i usually runs my games (Paladins) on max fps 175 with no problem, my cpu,gpu and ram usage doesn't go over 30% ever. Which is expected and normal. Temps don't go much over 50 C.
But sometimes for no reason my fps drops to 30-60fps and it stays like this until i restart my pc. When i restart it i runs again on 175 fps.
Now today i got 30fps and i tried to restart it and nothing changed. I tried another game where i have 17 fps. I can't do anything to fix it. My cpu,ram and gpu usage are all under 20% and temps low. Has anybody any ideas?

Solution
There is things like repasting the cpu die but that will end your warranty.

I would try undervolt the cpu first since its safe, another thing is laptop cooling pad if it wont drop the temperatures enough.

Seems like you didnt disable turbo boost with 99% cpu max state, or that 2nd pic was before you tried it. I can still see 12 threads being utilized in the picture (under utiliziation)

Just set processor max state back to 100% from the power settings, that will just hinder your performance.

After you done that follow guide in this video , but do only steps i say :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWDA9J112hk

- Ignore first 2 steps he tells you to do, leave BD PROCHOT checked (this makes...
have you enabled "high performance mode" from power settings and tested with that? Also is there HP OMEN Command Center installed? select high performance mode there tooo and test again.

"Temps wont go much over 50c" can you test this with hwmonitor, try gaming and leave it backround and then check max temps you hit in game from processor cores, GPU, pch , vram

Jozo3

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
have you enabled "high performance mode" from power settings and tested with that? Also is there HP OMEN Command Center installed? select high performance mode there tooo and test again.

"Temps wont go much over 50c" can you test this with hwmonitor, try gaming and leave it backround and then check max temps you hit in game from processor cores, GPU, pch , vram

I both power setting and omen command center are set to high performance

I was monitoring my usage on xbox game bar and it shows my gpu usage at 30 % BUT i tried HWMonitor and my gpu usage is always 100% when i run the game. Temps (CPU) are about 50-60 C (while i play) and they spike at 90+ C. GPU temps are max 47C

I really dont understand why this is happening

6IYHrgN.jpg

i7-9750h (your processor TJmax is 100c) https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9750h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Meaning laptop manufactor probably set throttling for around 90c+ and your hitting 99c max on all cores. This is why you get "hitting temperature limit, not for CPU but for either CPU or vram or pch chip"

Open hwmonitor as administrative rights and check if these are all temps you get or are there more sensors? Look for vram , pch too.

Follow guide on : https://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/how-to-disable-intel-turbo-boost-technology-on-a-notebook/

do the 2.2 advanced power management setting, just reduce maximum state to 99% and save, this will disable turbo boost. You should get somewhat lower temperatures, this will obviously cut your CPU clock speeds so its not optimal fix, just to see how it affects FPS, test your gaming experience while HWmonitor is monitoring backround? any fps drops when turbo boost disabled? How are temps looking take a another picture.

Jozo3

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
i7-9750h (your processor TJmax is 100c) https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9750h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Meaning laptop manufactor probably set throttling for around 90c+ and your hitting 99c max on all cores. This is why you get "hitting temperature limit, not for CPU but for either CPU or vram or pch chip"

Open hwmonitor as administrative rights and check if these are all temps you get or are there more sensors? Look for vram , pch too.

Follow guide on : https://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/how-to-disable-intel-turbo-boost-technology-on-a-notebook/

do the 2.2 advanced power management setting, just reduce maximum state to 99% and save, this will disable turbo boost. You should get somewhat lower temperatures, this will obviously cut your CPU clock speeds so its not optimal fix, just to see how it affects FPS, test your gaming experience while HWmonitor is monitoring backround? any fps drops when turbo boost disabled? How are temps looking take a another picture.

i couldn't find the sensors for vram, pch ...
I firstly installed the newest drivers for my graphics card and updated windows... after that my gpu usage was 50%max and cpu usage was 90+% again..(i got 140fps )
I tried the 2.2 advance power managment setting and that didnt change anything (still 140 fps)

DJQIqlp.jpg

I don't understand why this is happening now. because i was playing these games before with stable 175fps which is max and my laptop wasn't having any trouble with it. How can there be such a difference in one day. I'm so frustrated.
Thank you for taking the time and trying to help me

Your RTX 2070 max temperature on the last pic was 46c (number on the right)

However your cpu reached again 90-100c on all cores (tjmax is 100c)

I know modern laptops run hot with i7 but hitting the tjmax is not a good thing.
How old is the laptop and what is the exact model number?

I would try undervolt the cpu first since its safe, another thing is laptop cooling pad if it wont drop the temperatures enough.

Seems like you didnt disable turbo boost with 99% cpu max state, or that 2nd pic was before you tried it. I can still see 12 threads being utilized in the picture (under utiliziation)

Just set processor max state back to 100% from the power settings, that will just hinder your performance.

- Ignore first 2 steps he tells you to do, leave BD PROCHOT checked (this makes your gpu to throttle also if you hit temp limits with cpu which is good thing) and leave speedshift epp as it is.

- When you open FIVR menu and lower turbo limits, you can also do lower number at first like 30 (he does 34) for all cores, this is turbo boost, your processor base clock is 2.6ghz and everything beyond that is turbo boost.

- save voltages immidiattely

- do the offset voltage for both CPU core and CPU cache -125.0mv as he tells you to do.

- Ignore the TPL menu dont change those.

- you can do the task scheduler in the end

Report back your temperatures. This means you didnt disable any safety throttling and just lowered clock speeds when turbo boost is on to 3000 mhz from 4500mhz and also lowered voltage to cpu -125millivolts.
Going lower than -125mv can cause crashes it depends on the system, if you see any instability then move it to -100mv, less than that wont give much temperature change.
You can test your own settings and stress test in between (Undervoltage wont harm your CPU, overvoltage and overclocking is a different thing so you can test anything you want, however dont go too low , just stay 100-250mv range. . hf

Solution

Jozo3

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
Your RTX 2070 max temperature on the last pic was 46c (number on the right)

However your cpu reached again 90-100c on all cores (tjmax is 100c)

I know modern laptops run hot with i7 but hitting the tjmax is not a good thing.
How old is the laptop and what is the exact model number?
Yes , GPU temps were always good and after i updated my drivers i don't have anymore 100% GPU usage

Model 17-cb0040nr and it is 9 months old

I will try your fix that you recommended in the other comment now

Jozo3

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019

- Ignore first 2 steps he tells you to do, leave BD PROCHOT checked (this makes your gpu to throttle also if you hit temp limits with cpu which is good thing) and leave speedshift epp as it is.

- When you open FIVR menu and lower turbo limits, you can also do lower number at first like 30 (he does 34) for all cores, this is turbo boost, your processor base clock is 2.6ghz and everything beyond that is turbo boost.

- save voltages immidiattely

- do the offset voltage for both CPU core and CPU cache -125.0mv as he tells you to do.

- Ignore the TPL menu dont change those.

- you can do the task scheduler in the end

Report back your temperatures. This means you didnt disable any safety throttling and just lowered clock speeds when turbo boost is on to 3000 mhz from 4500mhz and also lowered voltage to cpu -125millivolts.
Going lower than -125mv can cause crashes it depends on the system, if you see any instability then move it to -100mv, less than that wont give much temperature change.
You can test your own settings and stress test in between (Undervoltage wont harm your CPU, overvoltage and overclocking is a different thing so you can test anything you want, however dont go too low , just stay 100-250mv range. . hf

lD9UkX3.jpg

I played 4-5 games. I have full fps and temps are not going over 70degrees. They stay around 55-60 most of the time. So it seems it's working for now. I will keep monitoring the next few days.
Now after a few games my temps reach max 70C but my fps dropped to 140 again instead of 175

Last edited:
You can see that 34 turbo limit for all cores means your Core clock speed (under clocks in that picture) is 3393mhz , so 34 = 3400mhz and so on.

Just keep tweaking until you find option what suits you, you are still hitting 68 to 74c on the cores (maximum temperature on the right), lower temperatures are good for longevity of your laptop. You can try different games and loads and see how high it ramps up after prolonged gaming.

The turbo clock speed does not affect your cpu temperatures but you needed to lower it so undervolting wont make your PC crash. Dont worry if this happens during tweaking its normal and no harm is done since you are not increasing voltage.

If you see any fps lags this might be cause of VRM or PCH temperatures which you cant monitor and you could profit from undervolting more (if you undervolt more and start crashing lower your turbo limits to 30 or 28, your default clock speed is 2.6ghz dont go lower than 27)

EDIT: You are most likely fine already with these settings but if problems arise