littel_cate

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
Hi,

So I've been having a problem with my framerate in games on a new laptop that I just got a few days ago. As seen on the pictures that I took (I couldn't record them), my games are usually low on fps most of the time. However when I alt-tab multiple times (or fast enough, I still haven't figured it out), the game will see a significant improvement in fps. We're talking 20fps+ improvement. After seeing some benchmarks on YouTube, the high fps is what I'm supposed to get all the time but for some reason I need to alt-tab a lot of time just to get to that point. This severely affects multitasking as I can't alt-tab to other programs since that would bring the framerate back down until I alt-tab multiple times again. This is such a hassle and all I want is to gain the high framerate constantly. Something else I've noticed is that changing refresh rate through windows settings from 144Hz to 60Hz improves my fps (I still leave it on 144Hz). I don't think that should happen, monitor's refresh rate shouldn't affect the performance of the laptop. Based on my observations, GPU1 usage is high when the low framerate happens and the opposite during high framerate (GPU2 usage is more). GPU1 = AMD Radeon Graphics and GPU2 = Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU.

Things I've tried:

1. Update AMD and NVIDIA drivers.
  2. Uninstalled AMD and NVIDIA drivers from "add or remove program" and reinstalling the AMD and NVIDIA drivers
  3. Used DDU to uninstall AMD and NVIDIA drivers and reinstalling AMD and NVIDIA drivers.
  4. Change my battery settings.
  5. Turned off iGPU on armoury crate.
  6. Changed the settings in NVIDIA Control Panel.

But to no avail, I'm still facing this problem. Does anyone know what I'm dealing with, I've dealt with a lot of software problems but nothing like this.

Specifications:
  • ASUS TUF A15 F506IC
  • AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
  • NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3050
  • Single-channel 3200Mhz DDR4 8GB Ram
  • GPU1 = AMD Radeon Graphics
  • GPU2 = Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU

Ps: Images: View: https://imgur.com/a/KdyvmvS

Solution
I've decided to reset my windows and keep my personal files and that's what worked for me. A shame that I lost a lot of software in the process but oh well, it fixed my problem.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? What OS are you working with? Windows 10? If so, what version(not edition) are you on? Armed with the latest drivers from both AMD and Nvidia, did you manually install both drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

littel_cate

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
  1. BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. FA506IC.300, 9/2/2021
  2. OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
  3. OS Version: 10.0.19042 Build 19042
  4. Yes, I did install them as Administrators if that's what you meant. Yes, they're on the latest driver as of now. I've tried installing the older versions but it didn't help at all.

littel_cate

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
I've decided to reset my windows and keep my personal files and that's what worked for me. A shame that I lost a lot of software in the process but oh well, it fixed my problem.

Solution