Question Low Performance with a new 4090 setup

Frostybd

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2014
Hey everyone,

I bought a prebuilt PC a few weeks ago with an MSI 4090 and have been noticing low performance on most games, 70-100 FPS on Tarkov, 100ish FPS on Stalker GAMMA, 80-120 FPS on Cyberpunk with Raytracing set to low and I just did a benchmark test on Black Myth Wukong where my average FPS was 139.

My specs are:
  • CPU: Intel Core i9 14900KF 8 P-Core, 16 E-Core, 32-Thread
  • GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 4090 24GB Gaming X Trio with support for DLSS 3.5 - AI-Powered Performance
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 UD-AC
  • RAM: TeamGroup Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz (2x16GB)
  • SSD: SAMSUNG 990 PRO M.2 2280 4TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 2.0 V7 V-NAND 3bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V9P4T0CW. W/Heatsink
  • CPU Cooler: EKWB 360MM Liquid Cooler
  • PSU: ABS Cyclops 1000W Gold ATX 3.0
  • Fresh Windows 11 install
When checking Task Manager my GPU usage hovers between 20-50% whereas my CPU doesn't go above 20% usage.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It sure is. Not sure why they spec such high end systems with no airflow. As a quick test, try removing the front panel to increase airfow.

HWInfo 64 can tell you all about the temperatures. You will want to fire up a game or benchmark and see if any thermal throttling is occurring. PerfCap limit on the GPU will tell you why the GPU may be throttling.

Install CPU-Z and GPU-Z.

Post the screenshots of your CPU-Z memory tabs so we can confirm that ABS set the memory up correctly.

Can you confirm the BIOS version? This is something you should update immediately regardless. Intel has released fixes for voltage spikes that directly lead to CPU failure.

3D Mark Fire Strike and Time Spy are still free on Steam. That will let you compare your results to others and see if anything is off.

2560x1440 I would expect quite excellent frame rates with that system. Double check that there aren't any universal settings in the Nvidia control panel overriding game settings. G-Sync or V-Sync will cap your max frame rate to the refresh rate of your monitor. G-Sync enabled is desirable as it leads to no frame tearing, but it is up to you if you want maximum frame rate or a smooth experience.

Frostybd

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2014
Nothing out of the ordinary in the Nvidia control panel

My bios version was last updated on 02-05-2024 should probably update it

Here's my CPU-Z memory tab

Screenshot-2024-08-13-151630.png

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Your memory is not set up correctly either. A common failing amongst OEM boutique builders.

DDR5 6000 should be running at 3000Mhz. Update the BIOS, then enable XMP. (Details are under the SPD tab for available profiles)

Frostybd

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2014
Did see a slight improvement of around 20 FPS after enabling XMP but still not what it should be.

Can't update my BIOS atm getting an OEMID mismatch, after a bit of research it looks like I need to get the BIOS update directly from ABS which will probably take a while :(