Question M.2 NVMe SSD not showing up in bios (MSI H97)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefteris Fousteris

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Hello,

I have bought a Crucial P2 500GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD and my MSI Gaming 3 H97 mobo doesn't show it.
MSI Quick Guide says to Enable "Windows 10 Mode" and "RAID Mode" and then enable "PCIe nand configuration", the ssd is suppoed to go into a "Remap" state.
After all that I still can't see the SSD anywhere, neither in the BIOS nor the OS Installation (Win10 64bit)

Mobo specs say:
  • 1 x M.2 Key M Socket supports type 2280/2260/2242 storage devices in both PCIE Gen2 x2 & SATA mode*
  • M.2 port supports M.2 SATA 6Gb/s module
  • M.2 port supports M.2 PCIe module up to 10Gb/s speed**
  • M.2 port supports 4.2cm/ 6cm/ 8cm length module
  • Supports RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 5 and RAID 10***
* The SATA5 and SATA6 ports will be unavailable when installing a module in the M.2 port. (I dont have any devices connected on those)
** M.2 PCIe interface only supports UEFI option ROM, NOT support legacy option ROM.
*** M.2 PCIe interface does not support RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 5 and RAID 10.
**** Supports Intel Core processors on Windows 7 and Windows 8/ 8.1

Last edited:

Lefteris Fousteris

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Try disabling RAID Mode. The Crucial P2 uses PCIe interface.

*** M.2 PCIe interface does not support RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 5 and RAID 10.
I have already tried that, it wont show up in AHCI nor RAID with pcie nand configuration enabled, ive also tried ubuntu installation and it doesnt find the volume.
I have given the drive to a friend for testing that had 3 m.2 slots and it works perfectly fine on his rig.
What was supposed to happen is after enabling pcie nand configuration while in raid mode and win 10 os mode enabled, the ssd should be automatically be remaped and able for os install, buy it isnt detected at all though the msi guide states that the drive should appear under RAID Driver in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST)
Ive also tried secure boot with csm key enabled to no avail (drive not evem shown in board explorer m.2 slot not sata5/m.2 interface. Also ive tried pcie pch lanes 4x/0x/0x and 2x/1x/1x also to no avail.

Lefteris Fousteris

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Are you certain the drive is installed correctly and is making a proper physical connection in the M.2 socket?
Yes i've tried countless times to re-insert it (even hot-plug it!), my buddy had his m.2 drives connected with no screw!! (he had his m.2 drives just floating and they worked no problem. However ive installed mine very nicely (screw and all) and it didn't help. Crucial has no drivers avaible btw.

Last edited:
I dont have it installed, it is a bios feature, and no i dont need it, just getting over things ive tried that msi suggested
You should be able to uninstall Intel RST from Programs and Features.

Intel-Rapid-storage-technology.png

silliconcrayon

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
I'm going through the similar problem , my M.2 NVME from ADATA doesn't show up in my asus gaming e board, if you find any fix please please tag me and tell me. It doesn't show up in boot or windows at all , nor does changing the slots helps. are we missing any drivers or something (though i can't seem to find any driver for DATA gammin s11 pro ) anyone please help US

Reactions: odongo
I'm going through the similar problem , my M.2 NVME from ADATA doesn't show up in my asus gaming e board, if you find any fix please please tag me and tell me. It doesn't show up in boot or windows at all , nor does changing the slots helps. are we missing any drivers or something (though i can't seem to find any driver for DATA gammin s11 pro ) anyone please help US
When you say your new M.2 NVMe SSD does not show up, do you mean in Windows "File Explorer" or in "Disk Management"? You still need to format a new drive.
Also have you downloaded the ADATA SSD Toolbox software from you new SSD's support page?

Last edited:

Lefteris Fousteris

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
When you say your new M.2 NVMe SSD does not show up, do you mean in Windows "File Explorer" or in "Disk Management"? You still need to format a new drive.
Also have you downloaded the ADATA SSD Toolbox software from you new SSD's support page?
In my case, it doesn show up anywhere, not in bios, not in disk manager, not in diskpart, nowhere.Crucial has no drivers avaible btw.

silliconcrayon

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012

Well like OP , in my case it doesn't show up anywhere either, BIOS or windows ! I have tried each and every thing that can be done I believe the NVME is DOA , I test it on my friend's computer as well and it didn't show .. now if any driver is missing then am so pissed because i haven't seen any drives from ADATA anywhere !

OP I suggest getting the NVME replaced , I believe most of the NVME are DOA I have seen many post like this but no help so perhaps changing the stick might help. There's no solution I encountered so far buddy sad for us

Lefteris Fousteris

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Well like OP , in my case it doesn't show up anywhere either, BIOS or windows ! I have tried each and every thing that can be done I believe the NVME is DOA , I test it on my friend's computer as well and it didn't show .. now if any driver is missing then am so pissed because i haven't seen any drives from ADATA anywhere !

OP I suggest getting the NVME replaced , I believe most of the NVME are DOA I have seen many post like this but no help so perhaps changing the stick might help. There's no solution I encountered so far buddy sad for us
As i said mine isnt doa bc i gave it to a friend for testing and it worked fine. I am speaking with msi customer support in hopes of finding a solution. They sent me a 1.12B beta version BIOS for my mobo but that didnt help as well.

odongo

Reputable
May 20, 2017
Hi! Did you find a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.