Question M.2 Samsung 970 evo plus 1 terrabyte ssd not showing up in boot options for BIOS

rickiller

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Like i said its not showing up for my boot options

It only shows

P3: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSBO
P4: WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0

But its not showing my 970 evo plus 1 tb ssd

Can someone help?

The 970 Evo is a NVMe drive which I believe your motherboard doesn't support.

Forget this. It doesn't make sense as that NVMe wouldn't fit into a SATA m.2.

Most boards will disable the m.2 port if a certain SATA port is already in use. Check your motherboard manual.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
And even if it does, with the most recent BIOS update, it will be severely limited in performance.
PCIe 2.0, instead of being able to utilize it in a 3.0 port as on newer motherboards.

Your 970 EVO will run just barely faster than a regular SATA III SSD.

rickiller

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
And even if it does, with the most recent BIOS update, it will be severely limited in performance.
PCIe 2.0, instead of being able to utilize it in a 3.0 port as on newer motherboards.

Your 970 EVO will run just barely faster than a regular SATA III SSD.
Should i just get a new motherboard?
Whats the best budget motherboard that would fit with this and a nvidia 1060 graphics card?

USAFRet

Titan
Should i just get a new motherboard?
Whats the best budget motherboard that would fit with this and a nvidia 1060 graphics card?
No, you should get a compatible SSD.

Changing the motherboard to match that 970 EVO means a new board, new CPU, new RAM.
All motherboards of that vintage have the same issue. I have one as well.
They are simply just on the edge of Too Old for this newer type NVMe drive.

And depending on what you use this system for, that NVMe drive is not markedly faster than a normal SATA III SSD.

rickiller

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
No, you should get a compatible SSD.

Changing the motherboard to match that 970 EVO means a new board, new CPU, new RAM.
All motherboards of that vintage have the same issue. I have one as well.
They are simply just on the edge of Too Old for this newer type NVMe drive.

And depending on what you use this system for, that NVMe drive is not markedly faster than a normal SATA III SSD.
With samsung magician it shows my computer is perfectly capable. Does that still mean my motherboard is too outdated?