Question M.2 SATA versus M.2 NVMe ?

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi.
the concept of M.2 is a little confusing to me.
i know the difference between M.2 SATA (is it always B+M key?) and M.2 NVMe (always M key?)

and if NVMe is backwards compatible with SATA since i can put SATA to such M.2 slot due to extra pin that is there in Nvme M2 slot?

i have a Lenovo v15 IGL with 1tb HDD... all i need is easy portability of mentioned laptop and since HDD become faulty if u move laptop around, i rather change it to SSD ASAP .... i can get a Sata M2 128 for half price of NVMe one and i don't care about extra speed because of my CPU bottleneck ( Intel n5030)... and this laptop come with a free NVME slot.
is it possible to do so?

i know the difference between Sata (is it always B+M key?) and NVME (always M key?)
Generally yes.
and if Nvme is backwards compatible with sata since i can put Sata to such m2 slot due to extra pin that is there in Nvme M2 slot?
They are not compatible.
If your system supports M.2 NVME only, then you can not use M.2 SATA drive.
i have a Lenovo v15 IGL with 1tb HDD... all i need is easy portability of mentioned laptop and since HDD become faulty if u move laptop around, i rather change it to SSD ASAP .... i can get a Sata M2 128 for half price of NVMe one and i don't care about extra speed because of my CPU bottleneck ( Intel n5030)... and this laptop come with a free NVME slot.
is it possible to do so?
do you recommend Adata Su650?
Adata Su650 is SATA drive. In M.2 form factor you can not use it in your laptop.
But you could use Adata Su650 in 2.5" form factor and replace your existing HDD with it.

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Just from looking at its specification sheet, it looks OK.

I have never owned an Adata product.

What other choices do you have at your location within your budget?

What capacity do you want?
klevv n400
PNY cs900
X energy falcon
Vico VC500
lexar Ns100
kingstar G300
twinmos hyper H2....

other Sata brands like Gigabyte and Samsung and samdisk or WD are available too, but at 30% higher price which i can buy Twinmos Nvme for that price....

i dont care about difference between Speed. all i care about is durability and more TBW another reason that i am going to take out my HDD 1tb and replace it with 120Gb ssd is the fact that i can easily move my laptop while I'm working and its ON (HDD get defective if you move it while its ON)

my work stuff is with Microsoft office and google map and the whole storage i used after 2-3 years is less than 5GB . so 120 is enough for me , windows 11 and apps take 30 , ao overall storage i need is 40 GB .... i can even Download some multimedia.
my laptop have only 4GB ram so windows may cach some data and use SSD as missing RAM so does SLC CACH matter for durability or no?

Last edited:
klevv n400
PNY cs900
X energy falcon
Vico VC500
lexar Ns100
kingstar G300
twinmos hyper H2....

other Sata brands like Gigabyte and Samsung and samdisk or WD are available too, but at 30% higher price which i can buy Twinmos Nvme for that price....

i dont care about difference between Speed. all i care about is durability and more TBW and other reason that i am going to take out my HDD 1tb and replace it with 120Gb ssd is the fact that i can easily move my laptop while I'm working and its ON (HDD get defective if you move it while its ON)

The TBW on the Adata SU650 is 70 for each 120 GB increment......280 TBW for the 480 GB model. 70 TBW for the 120 GB model.

Durability is anybody's guess. Just hope for the best.

My SSD has a 72 TBW. It is 7 years old. I have written 49 TB to it in that time. "Health" per Crystal Disk Info is 71%.

I'd go with the Adata if I were you.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Generally yes.

They are not compatible.

Adata Su650 is SATA drive. In M.2 form factor you can not use it in your laptop.
But you could use Adata Su650 in 2.5" form factor and replace your existing HDD with it.
yes i know, i will remove my 1tb HDD even if i use NVMe because i don't need it and my laptop get lighter

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
The TBW on the Adata SU650 is 70 for each 120 GB increment......280 TBW for the 480 GB model. 70 TBW for the 120 GB model.

Durability is anybody's guess. Just hope for the best.

My SSD has a 72 TBW. It is 7 years old. I have written 49 TB to it in that time. "Health" per Crystal Disk Info is 71%.

I'd go with the Adata if I were you.
ok then , btw these models, Adata is the best? right? even it have a better warranty (3Years)
i doubt if i write 1 TB a year so i guess 70TB is fine.
thank you for your help.

ok then , btw these models, Adata is the best? right? even it have a better warranty (3Years)
i doubt if i write 1 TB a year so i guess 70TB is fine.
thank you for your help.

I tried to find the TBW on the PNY SSD.

Hard to find, but I think it is 40....compared to 70 on the Adata.

I'd stay with the Adata. But you can have bad luck and a horrible experience with any of them.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
I tried to find the TBW on the PNY SSD.

Hard to find, but I think it is 40....compared to 70 on the Adata.

I'd stay with the Adata. But you can have bad luck and a horrible experience with any of them.
hi again
i didn't want to make a new topic, and googled this alot but i couldn't find specific answer

what is the difference between
total nand write
and
total host writ?

and which one is TBW?

what is the difference between total nand write and total host writ?

You can ignore NAND writes because it's pretty complicated as SSD technologies aren't always the same. That's why total NAND writes is often hidden from users.

The total HOST writes is usually used to monitor the SSD's health.

and which one is TBW?

It's written on the package or on the manufacturer's website.

For example my 256GB SSD has a TBW of 100TB, so when the total host writes reaches 5TB, the SSD's health would have 95% left.