Question m.2 SSD detected in bios but doesn't show up in windows

Mar 10, 2019
I was installing an nvme m.2 ssd to my laptop. I plugged it in but it didn't show up in This PC. Then I checked bios setup, the ssd was detected in bios, but device manager and disk manager didn't show the ssd. The ssd is fine because I used it in a USB-m.2 converter and it worked fine. The m.2 slot does support nvme according the "nvme" sticker on it.
Later I tried to re-plug it when the laptop is powered on, then refresh the device list in device manager. Windows recognized the ssd several times this way, but after reboot/shutdown/sleep the ssd disappears from the device list again. I've tried everything I can do, please help me out!!

additional information:
Gigabyte Aero15x
i9-8950hk rtx2070mq
32gb ram
windows 10 update 1803
boot drive: intel ssd7 512gb
ssd I'm trying to install: hp ex950 2tb

I understand. Gigabyte is known for that. Their modern UEFI is way behind the times, though usually it works fine if you can navigate the settings. You are correct on not wanting to switch to SATA. To check, you are on the latest UEFI? Likely to new to have more than 1 or 2 available. Are both drives NVMe based?

Mar 10, 2019
I understand. Gigabyte is known for that. Their modern UEFI is way behind the times, though usually it works fine if you can navigate the settings. You are correct on not wanting to switch to SATA. To check, you are on the latest UEFI? Likely to new to have more than 1 or 2 available. Are both drives NVMe based?
Yes, the board has two m.2 ports, one of them work with sata or nvme, and the other one only works with nvme. Both of my ssds supports nvme.

OK. Makes sense there, and both are indeed NVMe based. Being that both drives function and show up correctly in the UEFI in both ports, it seems OS related in some way. When the drive appears for awhile, what have you attempted so far to use it? A quick format in Disk Managment? Using GPT Partitioning instead of MBR? Is there any kind of recommended HP driver for the new SSD vs. the basic one included with Windows 10. I know Samsung for example recommends using their own driver. Any kind of HP software available for the drive?

Mar 10, 2019
I think the main reason of the problem is windows doesn't know “there's an ssd plugged in”. When it's recognized, it functions normally. But so far the only way to make windows detect the ssd is to hotplug it.

Possible it's a faulty drive? Seems odd when you hotplug it shows up, but when it reboots, loses power, reinitializes it's no longer available? Could be worth a shot to remove your Intel drive, install 10 on only the HP without using install key, and see if drive loses connection after a reboot. Given no driver options in OS or UEFI options to try, not sure what else to attempt. Any listings in Event Viewer?

Mar 10, 2019
I just remembered I have another portable HDD with a clean windows 10, I booted up with that HDD, the result is intel ssd7(my daily used boot drive) always shows up in This PC, the hp ex950 never shows up.
According to this, it's almost clear that there's something to do with the ssd. But there's one thing which is very confusing... I'd been using this ssd a lot with an m.2-thunderbolt adapter, even streaming tons of audio samples from the drive (I make music), it worked perfectly...

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
I just remembered I have another portable HDD with a clean windows 10, I booted up with that HDD, the result is intel ssd7(my daily used boot drive) always shows up in This PC, the hp ex950 never shows up.
According to this, it's almost clear that there's something to do with the ssd. But there's one thing which is very confusing... I'd been using this ssd a lot with an m.2-thunderbolt adapter, even streaming tons of audio samples from the drive (I make music), it worked perfectly...
maybe that changed they way it's formated...

Mar 10, 2019
Possible it's a faulty drive? Seems odd when you hotplug it shows up, but when it reboots, loses power, reinitializes it's no longer available? Could be worth a shot to remove your Intel drive, install 10 on only the HP without using install key, and see if drive loses connection after a reboot. Given no driver options in OS or UEFI options to try, not sure what else to attempt. Any listings in Event Viewer?
I deployed an windows 10 1803 image using imagex, test boot success.

Mar 10, 2019
maybe that changed they way it's formated...

The problem seems to be solved now (but I'm not very sure because yesterday I got the ssd stay recognized for several power cycles and it disappears today).
I pushed the ssd hard into the slot, then turned the screw which presses the back of the ssd extremely tightly (I put much force on it that I even thought I might damage the slot and screwhole slightly) and it's recognized by the OS.
I assume that's the cause of the problem, then it might be my thunderbolt-m.2 adapter. The adapter has a plastic component pressing the ssd module against it's aluminium case for thermal purpose. And after several weeks the PCB might be bent slightly so it's harder to get to the right place in the slot, I guess.
This is the most convincing probable cause that I can come up with.

(But if it disappears from my device list again tomorrow, I'll have no more idea for that...)

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
The problem seems to be solved now (but I'm not very sure because yesterday I got the ssd stay recognized for several power cycles and it disappears today).
I pushed the ssd hard into the slot, then turned the screw which presses the back of the ssd extremely tightly (I put much force on it that I even thought I might damage the slot and screwhole slightly) and it's recognized by the OS.
I assume that's the cause of the problem, then it might be my thunderbolt-m.2 adapter. The adapter has a plastic component pressing the ssd module against it's aluminium case for thermal purpose. And after several weeks the PCB might be bent slightly so it's harder to get to the right place in the slot, I guess.
This is the most convincing probable cause that I can come up with.

(But if it disappears from my device list again tomorrow, I'll have no more idea for that...)
Glad you fixed it!

TRENDING THREADS