Question M.2 SSD not detected in BIOS after BSOD, please help.

userbadshah

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
I have M.2 NVME Lite-on 512gb ssd around 2.5 years old used about 8-10hrs a day (maybe less) came installed in Dell XPS 15 9570. Suddenly I got BSOD and laptop gets stuck at BIOS screen for F2, F9, F12 options. Removing drive will take me to BIOS just fine.

Issue seems to be drive is not detected, to verify I swapped this ssd into my desktop with MSI tomahawk B450M board already having samsung ssd( working fine as secondary drive). Drive was not detected here as well. Last night windows did ask to install windows11 but i skipped. In partition 2/2 i was downloading some stuff and it had 1GB or less space left when system got into BSOD.

Drive is encrypted via bitlocker, yes i do have the key for it. So I would like to clone this drive into same capacity m.2 samsung ssd but only if it gets detected. Can you awesome folks help me out here? I did not have backup of everything so it will be painful to loose this data.

I have not tried any firmware upgrades or anything. Thanks!

userbadshah

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
Last resort might be trying the m.2 installed in a usb adapter. But if your second motherboard won't detect it its probably gone forever. If your data is worth enough you could consult a professional drive recovery company at an unknown cost.
I have not tried any settings in motherboard, I think AHCI was set, and Do you think something could have corrupted the drive but physically it may be fine? A small soldering may fix something if found? I can't afford professional ways. But if I can try detecting it via changing settings then can you help with them? Perhaps if I need some Bios update for it or firmware update or whatever. I feed its a result of drive corruption .

userbadshah

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
Update: The drive was detected in Desktop BIOS, but not being shown anywhere in windows. Not in disk management, not in miniTool partition app etc. Is there any linux app I can try to clone this ssd?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
must be CV3, with Marvell 88SS1093 and 64 layer Toshiba TLC. Seems like failed Lite-on SSD postings are not uncommon.

I know it might sound dumb, but maybe try to wipe the connector metal contacts with alcohol and try again?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
Oh, I have another idea - there is a hidden SSD reset routine (for most of the brands)

Simply connect the SSD,

Go to the BIOS, wait 30 minutes,

Turn off and wait 30 seconds,

Turn back on and wait 30 minutes.

And see if SSD comes back to life. This routine does not delete any data on your drive.

userbadshah

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
Oh, I have another idea - there is a hidden SSD reset routine (for most of the brands)

Wow I was surprised to see my drive visible in my desktop. However I did not wait for 30mins. I simply disconnected other 2 drives and ran just 1 drive along with this ssd. Maybe motherboard disabled m2 drive if other sata ports were in use?

Anyway now I see both ssd partitions(shows as E: and F: ) but they are having yellow exclamation mark on them. I was able to copy files from F: partition (2nd partition of ssd) but when I go to E: the file structure is visible but files are blank when i open them.

I have the bitlocker key but what do I need to do to get my files back safely? As this ssd is not being accessed on original motherboard where TPM was used. Instead i am opening it in my desktop with tomahawk B450 max motherboard.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
The reset might have already triggered when you were in the BIOS earlier (the key is powering the SSD without activating data exchange channels for certain period of time and cut the power certain period of time then turn back on)

I go through this routine no matter what when I get a used SSD.

Reactions: userbadshah