Question M.2 SSD shows up in BIOS but not Windows

Jul 5, 2020
Hello!

So I bought a 2 TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD to replace my 2TB HDD. I physically installed it and started up windows, but it was not showing up in Disk Management (it did show up in Device Manager under Disk Drives though). When I checked the BIOS, I was able to see it there. I tried tweaking some settings in the BIOS and uninstalling both current drives but nothing I did got it to show up as a drive in Windows. I have no clue what steps to take next. Could anyone help me out?

New SSD: Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-2TB)

Specs:
MOBO: GA-AX370M-DS3H
Processor: AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen 5 2600
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 580
Current Storage: 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD

EDIT: Here is the link to the MOBO - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370M-DS3H-rev-1x#kf

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
If your SSD drive showing up in BIOS but not in WIndows then there can be 4 reasons for this issue:

1. SSD is not initialized

2. SSD drive letter is missing

3. SSD file system is not supported by Windows

4. SSD disk driver not installed properly.

Try to fix the above issues & most probably your drive will be recognized.

1. SSD cannot be initialized because it is not showing up in the Disk Management
  2. SSD drive letter is not missing^
  3. How would I know that the file system is not supported by Windows?
  4. It has been reinstalled and checked multiple times

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Have you attempted to install the Gigabyte Raid/ACHI driver? We all know that Windows 10 is supposed to natively have this driver, but if something is a miss your Windows 10 may not be doing this. (Imagine a buggy Windows 10 ?....naw)
I would get that driver from Gigabyte support and install it, see if that does anything?
Sata Raid/AHCI driver

Some sata ports do not play well with M.2 ports, you could also try using a different sata port for your sata hard drives

Jul 5, 2020
Have you attempted to install the Gigabyte Raid/ACHI driver? We all know that Windows 10 is supposed to natively have this driver, but if something is a miss your Windows 10 may not be doing this. (Imagine a buggy Windows 10 ?....naw)
I would get that driver from Gigabyte support and install it, see if that does anything?
Sata Raid/AHCI driver

Some sata ports do not play well with M.2 ports, you could also try using a different sata port for your sata hard drives
Yes I have already installed/updated all my drivers from that list. Nothing had changed :(

TRENDING THREADS