[SOLVED] m flash doesnt detect any drives "Media Not Found Please plug in USB media and press "Retry" to try again".

Oct 3, 2022
hi, i recently gotten a ryzen 5 5600x for my b350m gaming pro. it isnt originally supported with the motherboard, however, with a recent bios update it is. the bios update is in beta, but i dont think that should matter. im trying to install said bios update, but im having troubles getting m flash to detect ANY drives or directories. ive plugged in 3 usbs at once, each with the files on them, and still doesnt detect any. each were formatted to fat32 (on a windows computer) and ive tried just about everything to try and get this to work. ive done different slots, bought a different usb from a different manufacturer (samdata and sandisk drives) ive done everything, from chkdsk to disk management, to using rufus and the ami installer to try and install it manually. the only way i was able to update bios was through liveupdate, which was successful, but it didnt update to the version i need. im considering using the msi forum tool, im afraid of damage but seems its my last resort. the motherboard has worked fine for years, and this is the first problem ive ever encountered with it. if anyone has had a similar issue, or has a different suggestion, please reply.

Last edited:
Solution
There is nothing else at all on any of these drives right? Just the BIOS file?

Might also try formatting drive with FAT or NTFS instead of FAT32, as I have seen some boards that support it. It can't hurt to try. Also might try formatting FAT32 with a 3rd party tool like Paragon partition manager community edition or another 3rd party tool, rather than Windows itself.

Also, are you quite sure this is an aftermarket retail version of the B350m Gaming Pro and not one of the OEM versions of that board? Did you buy this board through a retailer and build the system yourself or did it come as part of a prebuilt system?
You only need version 2409 (12/24/20) for the 5600x. That version is older than either of the Beta versions for that board and is MUCH older than the latest version, being 7 versions back not including the two Beta versions. If Liveupdate isn't updating you to a newer version than that then there is something wrong with your board or you are not properly renaming the necessary files.

I assume you are plugging your USB drive directly into a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port on the motherboard itself, and not into a USB hub or front panel on your case.

Reactions: luckiecks
Oct 3, 2022
i think we're talking about different motherboards. i shouldve specified in my post, i have a MSI B450m gaming pro. also, yes. ive tried just about every usb slot on my computer, including my usb hub

MSI does not have a motherboard called B450m Gaming Pro.

They have a B450M Gaming Plus and a B450 Gaming Pro Carbon, but not a B450M Gaming Pro. Not that I can see via Google or PC Partpicker, which I already knew but double checked just to be sure. Do you have a link to the actual product page for your motherboard?

You are extracting the actual BIOS firmware file from the zip file you download and putting ONLY that file on the flash drive, right?

You are following the instructions in the video on the B350m Gaming Pro BIOS page exactly as it shows to do it?

You may have to contact MSI support for assistance if the answer to both of those is yes.

There is nothing else at all on any of these drives right? Just the BIOS file?

Might also try formatting drive with FAT or NTFS instead of FAT32, as I have seen some boards that support it. It can't hurt to try. Also might try formatting FAT32 with a 3rd party tool like Paragon partition manager community edition or another 3rd party tool, rather than Windows itself.

Also, are you quite sure this is an aftermarket retail version of the B350m Gaming Pro and not one of the OEM versions of that board? Did you buy this board through a retailer and build the system yourself or did it come as part of a prebuilt system?

Solution
Oct 3, 2022
just an update, i unplugged a external hard drive i had from my computer and tried again and that somehow worked. dont know why the hard drive was conflicting with my bios but yeah! thank you so much for the help! :)