Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
So here's the deal
I have a Corsair MP510 (250 G) where I installed Windows (my MB is an aorus B450M), and I bought a WD Black SN770 (1 T), but since i have no more M2 bays in my MB I had yo buy a PCIE (4x) adapter for my NVME.

The idea was to install the booting SSD on the adapter and the other one straight into the MB.

So installed everything, and the pc booted up perfectly fine. Then I went to Settings > Storage > Manage storage spaces > Create new Pool and storage space. Then arrived to the part where I'm suppoused to set the partition... then I changed my mind and closed this window and went to Computer Management > Storage > Disk Managment. Once I was there the drive was not showing up, wich I found odd. So I rebooted my pc and it froze there at the MB logo, and no input like going into the BIOS worked.

So then I tried different combinations to see if anything worked, and figured the new drive was freezing my boot... So what I did was to start the Pc with only my booting drive and then connected the new one in the PCIE, and here I am...

Does anyone know what to do??

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Small update! I run a memory diagnose (the Windows tool that goes through your ram searching for errors), upon finishing (no errors reported) the drive does show up, but if I restart ir the problem returns

So here's the deal
I have a Corsair MP510 (250 G) where I installed Windows (my MB is an aorus B450M), and I bought a WD Black SN770 (1 T), but since i have no more M2 bays in my MB I had yo buy a PCIE (4x) adapter for my NVME.

The idea was to install the booting SSD on the adapter and the other one straight into the MB.

So installed everything, and the pc booted up perfectly fine. Then I went to Settings > Storage > Manage storage spaces > Create new Pool and storage space. Then arrived to the part where I'm suppoused to set the partition... then I changed my mind and closed this window and went to Computer Management > Storage > Disk Managment. Once I was there the drive was not showing up, wich I found odd. So I rebooted my pc and it froze there at the MB logo, and no input like going into the BIOS worked.

So then I tried different combinations to see if anything worked, and figured the new drive was freezing my boot... So what I did was to start the Pc with only my booting drive and then connected the new one in the PCIE, and here I am...

Does anyone know what to do??
When you installed everything did you install windows on the new m.2 and was there more than 1 drive connected at installation time? The windows installer really doesn't like that so you may have to reinstall with only the 1 drive connected. Or you could have cloned the old drive onto the new drive.

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
When you installed everything did you install windows on the new m.2 and was there more than 1 drive connected at installation time? The windows installer really doesn't like that so you may have to reinstall with only the 1 drive connected. Or you could have cloned the old drive onto the new drive.

Thanks for replying!

No, this is a pc i'm currently using, this new drive didn't came with a fresh windows instalation... should I do a clean re-install?

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
If you want to use your new drive as the boot drive then you can either clone your old drive onto the new drive (e.g. Macrium) or perform a fresh install on your new drive with only the new drive connected.
no, the new drive i want to use is just as storage leaving the boot drive as boot drive (the new one should be in the m2 MB socket while the old (the boot one) should be in the PCIE adapter)

USAFRet

Titan
no, the new drive i want to use is just as storage leaving the boot drive as boot drive (the new one should be in the m2 MB socket while the old (the boot one) should be in the PCIE adapter)
You should put the OS drive back in its original location.
Verify the system boots up as before.

Add the new drive in the PCIe adapter.
And leave it as a second drive...no Storage Spaces Pool.
It will be just a second drive letter.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
You should put the OS drive back in its original location.
Verify the system boots up as before.

Add the new drive in the PCIe adapter.
And leave it as a second drive...no Storage Spaces Pool.
It will be just a second drive letter.
that was exactly my last atempt, i was able to create the partition from computer manager, and then restarted to check if it was cool, and nope... it froze once again

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
OK, so it works as original?

If so, then we can move on.

Add the PCIe adapter and the new drive.
NO Storage spaces thing.

Just add it, see what happens.

i've done that already, and it just won't boot

a little update... tried updating the BIOS (with OS drive in the MB socket and the new one in the adapter), for a moment it worked but when i swaped them and it started all over again

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Stop swapping.

Leave the current OS drive in the place where it works.
the thing is, it doesn't work when i have both pluged in, plus i need the OS one in the adapter for it limits the reading speed to 1600 MB/S when the new one is 5000, i'd be wasting reading speed if i keep that set up

USAFRet

Titan
the thing is, it doesn't work when i have both pluged in, plus i need the OS one in the adapter for it limits the reading speed to 1600 MB/S when the new one is 5000, i'd be wasting reading speed if i keep that set up
Ignore "speed" for now.

Make it actually "work".

Your motherboard may not support booting from a drive in that PCIe adapter.
Or, it may require a whole new OS install when the desired drive is in that adapter.

And that speed diff is almost completely unnoticeable.

What do you use this system for?

TRENDING THREADS