Oct 24, 2021
Hello. I hope this is ok here.
I have just acquired a Mackie d8b studio console. The way this recording software is setup is by a bare version of Windows 95 and called Mackie OS.
The latest version we have is 5.1 and of course no newer versions because the technology was abandoned. But the recording capabilities of this recorder is amazing! especially the DSP plugins!
My question is with the brilliant minds we have in this forum, is there anyway this OS can be reversed engineered to run on newer hardware?
Th catch is it has to communicate with the board and PC.
The reason is if we don’t get this OS running on other computers, all of these brilliant DSP plugins and OS will be gone for good at some point.
This OS is really small and just seems like it wouldn’t be that complicated.
If I’m wrong, I apologize in advance.

More information here if needed.
http://www.d8bforum.com

Solution
Sure.
Run it in a VM.

On the actual hardware? Not a chance.
Times change. Hardware changes. Software changes.

It might be better to get those plugins rewritten for current hardware and OS.
Oct 24, 2021
Thanks for your reply.
We need the OS to run on a newer system, the rackmount for this system is the computer and the power supply for both. They’re both getting age on them ( the system was built back in 1999)
Also, The OS is proprietary driven on the front end (Mackie) The backend of it is Windows 95 (The WHOLE OS fits on 3 floppy drives ) Not very big at all.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for your reply.
We need the OS to run on a newer system, the rackmount for this system is the computer and the power supply for both. They’re both getting age on them ( the system was built back in 1999)
Also, The OS is proprietary driven on the front end (Mackie) The backend of it is Windows 95 (The WHOLE OS fits on 3 floppy drives ) Not very big at all.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?
Have you tried the VM concept? Linux or Windows as the host.

USAFRet

Titan
David
I went ahead and tried VirtualBox again and it won't run in ANY 32bit VM. It's a proprietary OS ( only runs on specific hardware.) That's why I was asking if this could be reversed engineered.
VB will indeed run a 32bit guest OS.
A few months ago, I cranked up a 32bit Win XP, in a VirtualBox VM.

Now...if your particular thing needs specific hardware, then a VM probably is not the answer.

Oct 24, 2021
VB will indeed run a 32bit guest OS.
A few months ago, I cranked up a 32bit Win XP, in a VirtualBox VM.

Now...if your particular thing needs specific hardware, then a VM probably is not the answer.
Sorry my terminology may be wrong.
Yes, it does run on specific hardware. There were only 2 versions of the system. A 166mhz, and a 300mhz version.
I'm sure it's 32bit though.

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry my terminology may be wrong.
Yes, it does run on specific hardware. There were only 2 versions of the system. A 166mhz, and a 300mhz version.
I'm sure it's 32bit though.
166 or 300mhz.
Pentium era, from the mid-late '90s.

I have one or two such laptops out in the garage, in my Pile O Crap.

Your easiest way forward would be to source a period compatible system. ebay maybe.

But...while this old thing may have awesome plugins, I have to believe that they have been recreated in more current software applications.

TRENDING THREADS