Question MacOS virtual disk for a VMware setup on NVMe?

CoDrift

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018
I'll keep it short:

I am a software dev, I want to test cross-platform applications but I do not have an apple MacBook or similar.
I do have a fairly adequate PC with a 256GB Sata based C drive for my main OS (W10), I also recently went out and got a 1TB NVMe (WD BLACK) for storing all my projects. I also have a 1TB 7200RPM HDD for storing data.

My question is;
Will setting up the vmware on the NVMe in this configuration allow me to run MacOS as smoothly as it is running off of any other MacBook? If not, what can I improve or change?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I'll keep it short:

I am a software dev, I want to test cross-platform applications but I do not have an apple MacBook or similar.
I do have a fairly adequate PC with a 256GB Sata based C drive for my main OS (W10), I also recently went out and got a 1TB NVMe (WD BLACK) for storing all my projects. I also have a 1TB 7200RPM HDD for storing data.

My question is;
Will setting up the vmware on the NVMe in this configuration allow me to run MacOS as smoothly as it is running off of any other MacBook? If not, what can I improve or change?
Trying to run the latest versions of MacOS using any virtual machine other than one that is running on a Mac will result in slow and laggy performance due to the hacky workarounds you have to do just to get it to boot and install then there's the issue of it limiting your virtual video memory to an extremely low MB amount (can't remember what it was for me last time I messed with it but maybe like 32MB???) and I can't even remember if it even lets you enable hardware acceleration for graphics so basically it's a crappy sluggish stuttery experience.

Crapple has gone out of their way to make sure things are as painful as possible unless you just pony up the cash for their stuff.

Unless something has changed in recent months then this is what you will have to deal with.

You can get some older versions of MacOS to run really well under a VM (I think anything older than Big Sur so basically v10.x and older but might need to go all they way back to something like Yosemite. High Sierra might work not sure) and you need to be using the pro version of VMWare Workstation as well.

Oh, and you will have an easier time if using Intel CPU btw. Using an AMD CPU can be a crap shoot because you need to get the right CPU ID data and modify the VMX file just to get things to boot properly and it's not guaranteed across all AMD CPU's.