[SOLVED] Macrium Reflect Free Edition - Cloning (Non-Boot Drive) HDD to SSD Error 9 at 99%

ButUsername1

Honorable
Mar 9, 2015
Hey guys, I've recently noticed that while using CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.5 to check the status of my drives, my main storage drive was showing a caution health status with 8 reallocated sectors.

The drive in question is a Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB 7200rpm 128MB Cache HDD I've been using since mid 2017. I've also been getting freezes on occasion when I alt-tab out of a full screen game or even when exiting games which are stored on this drive. OS is Windows 10 Pro with all up to date drivers as far as I know.

I've noticed that the drive was getting pretty noisy kind of like ticking or rattling sounds sometimes. Because of this, I suspected that the HDD was failing.

I bought a new drive which was the Samsung 870 EVO SSD to replace the HDD and used Macrium Free Reflect to clone the Seagate HDD into the new SSD.

Everything was going well until it stated that the clone failed at 99% showing the error message
Clone failed - Error 9 - Read failed - 9 - Bad file descriptor

The Barracuda 4TB HDD had also passed the S.M.A.R.T Check on SeaTools for Windows.

However, seems like all the accessible files had been copied over to the new drive and were not corrupted.

Does this mean that my SSD is ready to use? The plan for the HDD was to be reformatted to act as a sort of backup drive as I probably have no other uses for it.

If anyone could help me with this to ensure that I have done the right steps in cloning the hard drive that would be very much appreciated.

I'm not very experienced with things like these as I pretty much only know the basics of PC building and googling solutions.

I can try my best to provide other information such as logs from Reflect Free if needed.

Solution
Once dealing with bad /reallocated sectors on the source drive, getting cloning to complete can be problematic...(as already noted in your experience here)

I'd start with simply copying and pasting assorted various files of importance, until everything you might need is safe (any files in only one location on a failed/failing drive is quite a precarious state!)

ButUsername1

Honorable
Mar 9, 2015
Not sure if this would help but the following is from the Macrium Reflect Free VSS Log

(Gathering writer metadata...)
(Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)
Initialize writer metadata ...
  • Get exclude files
  • Enumerate components
  • Get file list descriptors
  • Get database descriptors
  • Get log descriptors
  • Get exclude files
  • Enumerate components
  • Get log descriptors
  • Get exclude files
  • Enumerate components
  • Get log descriptors
  • Get exclude files
  • Enumerate components
  • Get exclude files
  • Enumerate components
  • Get log descriptors
  • Get exclude files
  • Enumerate components
  • Get exclude files
  • Enumerate components
  • Get log descriptors
  • Get exclude files
  • Enumerate components
  • Get exclude files
  • Enumerate components
  • Get log descriptors
  • Get exclude files
  • Enumerate components
  • Get log descriptors
Discover directly excluded components ...
  • Excluding writer '' since it has no selected components for restore.
  • Excluding writer '' since it has no selected components for restore.
  • Excluding writer 'MSSearch Service Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
  • Excluding writer 'BITS Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
  • Excluding writer 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
Discover components that reside outside the shadow set ...
  • Component '\TasksStore' from writer 'Task Scheduler Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
  • Component '\WriterMetadataStore' from writer 'VSS Metadata Store Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
  • Component '\PerformanceCounters' from writer 'Performance Counters Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
  • Component '\Registry' from writer 'Registry Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
  • Component '\NPS Database' from writer 'NPS VSS Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
  • Component '\COM+ REGDB' from writer 'COM+ REGDB Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
  • Component '\WMI' from writer 'WMI Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
Discover all excluded components ...
Discover excluded writers ...
- The writer 'Task Scheduler Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
(it does not contain any components that can be potentially included in the backup)
- The writer 'VSS Metadata Store Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
(it does not contain any components that can be potentially included in the backup)
- The writer 'Performance Counters Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'Registry Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'NPS VSS Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'COM+ REGDB Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'WMI Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
Discover explicitly included components ...
Verifying explicitly specified writers/components ...
Select explicitly included components ...
Creating shadow set {1a7b6007-7436-450c-90e9-ddec7d4b7364} ...
- Adding volume \\?\Volume{55005e8a-953d-43e1-8c47-85231cc9c38f}\ [D:\] to the shadow set...
Preparing for backup ...
Creating the shadow (DoSnapshotSet) ...
Shadow copy set successfully created.
Saving the backup components document ...

List of created shadow copies:

Querying all shadow copies with the SnapshotSetID {1a7b6007-7436-450c-90e9-ddec7d4b7364} ...

* SNAPSHOT ID = {a8bb395b-d6a7-45a0-bdc6-c1df77b4fed7} ...
- Shadow copy Set: {1a7b6007-7436-450c-90e9-ddec7d4b7364}
- Original count of shadow copies = 1
- Original Volume name: \\?\Volume{55005e8a-953d-43e1-8c47-85231cc9c38f}\ [D:\]
- Creation Time: 15/7/2021 2:26:11 PM
- Shadow copy device name: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy7
- Originating machine: ****
- Service machine: ****
- Not Exposed
- Provider id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
- Attributes: Auto_Release Differential

Completing the backup (BackupComplete) ...

Windows Events
Date: 15/7/2021 2:26:10 PM
Type: Warning
Event: 12348
Source: VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{c680328f-63a6-4dce-bb8f-6c247ce5359e}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly. Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Operation:
Automatically choosing a diff-area volume
Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
Execution Context: System Provider

Date: 15/7/2021 2:26:10 PM
Type: Warning
Event: 12348
Source: VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{c680328f-63a6-4dce-bb8f-6c247ce5359e}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly. Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Operation:
Automatically choosing a diff-area volume
Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
Execution Context: System Provider

Once dealing with bad /reallocated sectors on the source drive, getting cloning to complete can be problematic...(as already noted in your experience here)

I'd start with simply copying and pasting assorted various files of importance, until everything you might need is safe (any files in only one location on a failed/failing drive is quite a precarious state!)

Solution

ButUsername1

Honorable
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks for the advice. However I am finding it weird as using EaseUS to test the HDD showed that there were no bad sectors.

So far I've been using the new drive after replacing the drive letter and it seems that games and files can be loaded.

I've also compared each of the folders and found that most of the files are identical as well