Question Main monitor not returning from sleep

ItsZanoniBro

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2014
Hey guys - I've found a ton of threads tackling this in general, but my situation seems a little unique. I recently set up a nice dual monitor display using my old (5+ years) ASUS 21.5 inch as a secondary, and a brand new ViewSonic 27 inch monitor as the primary. When the computer goes to sleep, both monitors sleep, but upon waking, it's only the secondary that come's back. The main ViewSonic does acknowledge something happened by turning on and simply telling me "no signal."

Upon writing this, I'm thinking the one thing I haven't tried (I'm at work, so this won't be for another 8-9 hours or so) that I'll go home and do is switch which HDMI cable is in which spot in the back of my graphics card - would this even matter?

Otherwise the other trouble shooting I've already tried is: I've disabled power saving in my power options for displays. I've disabled my graphics card and plugged it back in. I've also changed a BIOS setting to disable something to do with overclocking - I can't think of the name of that offhand nor can I find the article here at work. I also installed a basic corsair liquid cooler (the 55?) last night that lowered my overall temps and made the system cooler under rest and much cooler under stress - however this obviously wasn't the case of a stressed GPU to just turn on a monitor from sleep.

Basically I can provide more info later, but I just wanted to get this out here to hopefully someone's like "idiot, this is how to fix that." My build is below , let me know if you need the monitor specs and as always, thanks for reading:

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor - Quad Core, 4.0GHz, 8MB Cache, Up to 4.40 GHz, 2 Memory Channels, 16 Max PCI Express Lanes - BX80646I74790K
Asus Z97 Motherboard - Intel Socket LGA1150, Intel Z97 Chipset, SLI/CrossFireX Support, ATX - Z97-AR
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Dual-Fan OC Edition Graphics Card (DUAL-GTX1060-O3G)
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170/X99 Desktop Memory F4-2400C15D-16GVR
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)
Rosewill CAPSTONE Series ATX 12V/EPS 12V 750W 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply CAPSTONE-750-M
Thermaltake Versa H23 Mid-Tower Case w/ Window

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
do not know if related but I have noticed that if chrome is running and my system sleeps one of my screens will not wake up until I close chrome its always the same screen too.

it was frustrating until i figured it was chrome and ending the process would awaken the screen without needing to reboot.

ItsZanoniBro

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2014
do not know if related but I have noticed that if chrome is running and my system sleeps one of my screens will not wake up until I close chrome its always the same screen too.

it was frustrating until i figured it was chrome and ending the process would awaken the screen without needing to reboot.

Appreciated - and one of the things I found googling this as well. However, I've closed out all applications to assure myself it wasn't something I was running at the same time.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you can try this to verify if its the monitor or software.
boot to linux and let it run and go to sleep see if they both wake, if the monitor refuses to wake under a different OS and drivers its most likely a setting on the monitor/monitor itself.

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the thumb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.

ItsZanoniBro

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2014
you can try this to verify if its the monitor or software.
boot to linux and let it run and go to sleep see if they both wake, if the monitor refuses to wake under a different OS and drivers its most likely a setting on the monitor/monitor itself.

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the thumb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.
Will give it a try if someone else doesn't have anything quicker to check out. I'm a bit of a novice with building and systems in general - I've used Linux like 4 times in college - all of 10+ years ago, so forgive me for not rushing into this. If I don't hear anything else from anyone - I'll give it a shot this weekend for sure.

Thanks so much for your time.