Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
After trying to narrow down the cause (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-10-stuck-on-loading-dots.3745394/#post-22615583)
I've found how to reproduce it, simply setting in bios the first slot as auto or PCIe 4.0 will make my Windows unable to boot 99% of the time. It posts and when I manage to get into windows with PCIe 4.0 everything works fine, so I don't have any clue of what's happening, already replaced the MOBO and the same issue occurs.
Setting it to PCIe 3.0 or using the bottom PCIe slot, which is PCIe 4.0 x8 connected to the chipset, boots flawlessly.

I'm on Windows 11 right now, but that's not really relevant, just making clear because of the video title, the problem is exactly the same with Windows 10.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUvfobmBrC8

For me, it's either the CPU or a BIOS issue, but since it works flawlessly when I manage to boot, I can't really see how it's the CPU. Hope someone with a better experience/knowledge can help me out on this, thanks in advance.

My specs in case you have signatures disabled:
Ryzen 9 5900X
GALAX GeForce RTX 3070 SG
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
32GB (2x16) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz
SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB
EVGA CLC 360
XPG Core Reactor 750W

popatim

Titan
So the top Gen4 slot is having issues negotiating back down to Gen3 you think?

Are you on the latest Bios?

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
So the top Gen4 slot is having issues negotiating back down to Gen3 you think?

Are you on the latest Bios?
The top slot only doesn't work properly at PCIe 4.0. I'm using the latest non-beta BIOS.

Mentioned replacing mobo - to same model or it was different previously? It seems to be well known problem that some mobo/GPU combinations have problem when set to 4.0.
Btw, if it works when set to 3.0 why not leave it there? Performance difference should not be meaningful I think.

Reactions: KyaraM

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Mentioned replacing mobo - to same model or it was different previously? It seems to be well known problem that some mobo/GPU combinations have problem when set to 4.0.
Btw, if it works when set to 3.0 why not leave it there? Performance difference should not be meaningful I think.
Same model.
About the PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 performance difference, for now it's virtually zero, but I'm always upgrading my hardware whenever I can, so that PCIe version may make a notable difference in the near future.

Same model.
About the PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 performance difference, for now it's virtually zero, but I'm always upgrading my hardware whenever I can, so that PCIe version may make a notable difference in the near future.
So different motherboard model might not have such problems. This model might not have such problems in the future thanks to BIOS updates. Finally when you upgrade your GPU the new one might not have such problem just because it is different model. If you have to solve it now I would suggest changing motherboard to different model.

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
So different motherboard model might not have such problems. This model might not have such problems in the future thanks to BIOS updates. Finally when you upgrade your GPU the new one might not have such problem just because it is different model. If you have to solve it now I would suggest changing motherboard to different model.
I'm starting to suspect it's a CPU defect, I'm contacting AMD's support to see if they can confirm that, I might try a RMA, and depending on how long the support takes to to confirm or deny it, I'll do it next week since my warranty expires next month.
Here's another video of how it behaves with PCIe 4.0.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHg4dr9hr4M

Jun 28, 2022
No. I'm well aware of the riser and PCI 4.0 issue, but never used it anyway.

Hi, Did you manage to solve this problem? I have it too and it came when I updated my ryzen 3700x -> 5600. Using TUF Gaming Wifi motherboard.

I also get sometimes "VGA card not supported by UEFI Driver" error if I try to boot as 4.0. Using 3.0 works for me..

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Hi, Did you manage to solve this problem? I have it too and it came when I updated my ryzen 3700x -> 5600. Using TUF Gaming Wifi motherboard.

I also get sometimes "VGA card not supported by UEFI Driver" error if I try to boot as 4.0. Using 3.0 works for me..
Nope, rma'd the MOBO, rma'd the CPU, same issue.
And according to him (Head of GALAX in Latin America and a pro overclocker, among other things): Ronaldo Buassali
It's an AMD platform issue with some mobos. It doesn't occur on Intel boards.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022
And according to him (Head of GALAX in Latin America and a pro overclocker, among other things): Ronaldo Buassali

Thanks a lot! And too I'll hope that some bios would fix that. Good to know atleast the correct problem.

Did you set everything to GEN 3?

I have currently as GEN 3 these (maybe could set something auto):
PCIEX16_1 Mode
PCIEX16_2 Mode
PCIEX1_1 Mode
PCIEX1_2Mode

I did have M.2_1 & M.2_2 Link Mode and SB Link Mode as GEN 3 also but I set them as Auto because I guess that would affect the memory speeds. I'm not what exact stuff should I have as GEN3..

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Thanks a lot! And too I'll hope that some bios would fix that. Good to know atleast the correct problem.

Did you set everything to GEN 3?

I have currently as GEN 3 these (maybe could set something auto):
PCIEX16_1 Mode
PCIEX16_2 Mode
PCIEX1_1 Mode
PCIEX1_2Mode

I did have M.2_1 & M.2_2 Link Mode and SB Link Mode as GEN 3 also but I set them as Auto because I guess that would affect the memory speeds. I'm not what exact stuff should I have as GEN3..
Since my NVMe is PCIe 3.0 I just left it at auto, the only thing I specified as "PCIe 3.0" is the top PCIe slot, PCIEX16_1, because my GPU is "PCIe 4.0" and auto will set it accordingly.

Reactions: zaikai
Jun 29, 2022
Hey, I signed up just to respond to this.
Almost exactly the same problem for a year here. Crash on Windows dots under PCIe x16 gen4. Gigabyte Aorus Pro x570, AMD 5900X and 3080. Many BIOS updates ago I could boot to Windows but I would get "force to reinstall graphics driver" or something along those lines.

Gigabyte originally said waiting for a BIOS fix but I'm almost certain that this will not be the fix that will never come. I have swapped out every single component in my PC except the CPU at this point.

I was about to just send just my CPU off on its own (sent mobo back last week but they couldn't find a problem) but now you've said you sent mobo and CPU off andnothing changed, I'm going to send the entire PC back to the system builder, as they requested.

I don't normally buy full builds but because of the hardware shortages it was my only way to get an upgrade - so I'm lucky to have the luxury of getting someone to do the hard work for me.

Anyway, thanks, you encouraged me to send the entire unit and not just the CPU because it's more than likely a combination of things. Once I get a response in 7-10 days I'll let you know what their conclusion is.

Good luck! Keep us updated please

Reactions: zaikai
Jun 29, 2022

So an update from me with the same issue, it was my AMD 5900X that was the cause. The rest of the hardware has remained the same.

I know you already RMA'd your CPU OP but I'd be tempted to borrow another one to make sure.

Novatech in the UK (the system builder I bought from) also updated GPU firmware which didn't help. I have to give them a shoutout because their customer service has been amazing.

Good luck OP!

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
So an update from me with the same issue, it was my AMD 5900X that was the cause. The rest of the hardware has remained the same.

I know you already RMA'd your CPU OP but I'd be tempted to borrow another one to make sure.

Novatech in the UK (the system builder I bought from) also updated GPU firmware which didn't help. I have to give them a shoutout because their customer service has been amazing.

Good luck OP!

Just an update.**
I basically just given up and stick with PCIe 3.0, but I've been OCing my RAM lately, tweaked my VDDP, VDDG and SoC voltages (Making then as low as possible) and a couple minutes ago I also decided to give PCIe 4.0 another try and it booted, restarted another 3 times just to be sure it wasn't just a lucky shot and on those 3 times it also booted normally.

I don't know if lowering the voltages made it possible to use Gen4 or if NVIDIA driver updates fixed that issue for me. I'll report back if the issue start to occur again.

If anyone is wondering about my voltages:
VDDP: 0.88v, VDDG CCD: 0.92v, VDDG IOD: 0.96v, SoC: 1.08v

My XMP default voltages are higher:
VDDP: 0.90v, VDDG CCD: 0.95v, VDDG IOD: 1.05, SoC: 1.10v

**Edit: Nvm, it's still occurring. My Windows froze once after enabling PCie4 and I had to restart, booted normally and I used it with no problem, just before I leave the PC I restarted again just in case and froze on boot.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022
Just an update.**
I basically just given up and stick with PCIe 3.0, but I've been OCing my RAM lately, tweaked my VDDP, VDDG and SoC voltages (Making then as low as possible) and a couple minutes ago I also decided to give PCIe 4.0 another try and it booted, restarted another 3 times just to be sure it wasn't just a lucky shot and on those 3 times it also booted normally.

I don't know if lowering the voltages made it possible to use Gen4 or if NVIDIA driver updates fixed that issue for me. I'll report back if the issue start to occur again.

If anyone is wondering about my voltages:
VDDP: 0.88v, VDDG CCD: 0.92v, VDDG IOD: 0.96v, SoC: 1.08v

My XMP default voltages are higher:
VDDP: 0.90v, VDDG CCD: 0.95v, VDDG IOD: 1.05, SoC: 1.10v

**Edit: Nvm, it's still occurring. My Windows froze once after enabling PCie4 and I had to restart, booted normally and I used it with no problem, just before I leave the PC I restarted again just in case and froze on boot.
Hi, still have problems? I just use my new rtx 4080 and cant log in to Windows if i set PCI-e gen4. Only change gen3 works for me, but I just dont know how to repair this problém. Bios gpu and mobo are up to date, but idk how to fix this problem...

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Hi, still have problems? I just use my new rtx 4080 and cant log in to Windows if i set PCI-e gen4. Only change gen3 works for me, but I just dont know how to repair this problém. Bios gpu and mobo are up to date, but idk how to fix this problem...
Yep, still the same issue and I'm fairly sure it's indeed the motherboard/chipset, I'll rma it again as soon as I upgrade my GPU.

Dec 7, 2022
I have the same problem as you...
the difference is that I have a different configuration:
B550m TUF plus wifi ii
Ryzen 5600
SSD nvme 4.0 Netac 7000 1tb
Temporary GPU Radeon R9 280

I can barely install WINDOWS 11, and the PC corrupts Windows...
yesterday I changed the ssd, I put an Asgard PCIe 3.0, I managed to do everything, install windows, gpu driver, play CSGO all night...
this morning, when I turned on the PC, it corrupted windows again
I do not know what else to do.
I've already tested other memory kits, I've tested another processor... apparently the problem can only be the MB or the GPU

pf100

Commendable
Feb 18, 2022
I basically had this problem and solved it by getting another cpu. My msi x570 gaming plus with a 5800x and 3080 would boot with pcie4 on (all settings on auto or manually setting pcie4) only after 5 or 10 tries, and then once I eventually got into windows gpu-z showed the gpu was running in pcie 1.1 mode after running the render test, and gaming performance was really bad. I could manually force pcie3 in the bios and then everything worked flawlessly. I tried another known good x570 board and I had the same problem. It wasn't until after I got a shiny brand new 5800x3d that I booted into glorious pcie4. So it was the 5800x the whole time and I ran it like that in pcie3 mode for about a year. It was a good year, still.

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
I basically had this problem and solved it by getting another cpu. My msi x570 gaming plus with a 5800x and 3080 would boot with pcie4 on (all settings on auto or manually setting pcie4) only after 5 or 10 tries, and then once I eventually got into windows gpu-z showed the gpu was running in pcie 1.1 mode after running the render test, and gaming performance was really bad. I could manually force pcie3 in the bios and then everything worked flawlessly. I tried another known good x570 board and I had the same problem. It wasn't until after I got a shiny brand new 5800x3d that I booted into glorious pcie4. So it was the 5800x the whole time and I ran it like that in pcie3 mode for about a year. It was a good year, still.
Final update: Upgraded my GPU and with this new one the PCIe 4.0 started to work again.
Apparently the issue is with the previous GPU, but I'm a bit skeptical If I should warranty it and the brand test on another platform (Such as Intel) and PCIe 4.0 work flawlessly, which would conclude in me paying for delivery two times.