Question Major issues after RAM upgrade- crashes, failed boots, bsods...

onlugassy

Commendable
May 15, 2019
First, to get this out of the way, these are the specs of my PC:
  • CPU: Intel i9-7980xe
  • Motherboard: Asus rampage VI extreme (x299)
  • RAM: 8X8- 64gib TridentZ royal 3200mhz CL14
  • SSD: M.2 Samsung pro 970 1tb
  • GPUs: Titan xp SLI
  • PSU: Corsair axi 1600w titanium
  • Cooling: Custom water-cooling loop

Now I'll cut to the chase, the issue is as follows:

Originally, I was using 8 Corsair Dominator RAM sticks for 64GB 3200mhz cl16 which I then overclocked to 3400mhz cl17.
Back then everything was running completely fine, no issues whatsoever.

Not long ago I've upgraded my RAM to the Tridentz Royal which are also 8 sticks for a total of 64GB, 3200mhz cl14, and that was the point where the issues started occurring-
  • At every attempt of enabling XMP, the motherboard signals a 'detect memory' issue message.
  • Even when removing all sticks, then trying with only 2/4/6 sticks at a time I found no success.
  • I then went back to the Dominator sticks as they used to work completely fine before, however they also failed to XMP, as well as when trying only 2/4/6 sticks at a time.
I find that to be very bizarre.

The CPU manages to easily reach an overclock frequency of 4.6ghz.

Whatever I try, the memory manages to settle only at 2133 and that is it, no matter the configuration.

At every single hertz that is being added, the system crashes- It either fails to boot up, or just bsods out of a hardware issue.

I'm very helpless at this point, as I have no idea about what else I could do or what is causing the issue.

All help is gladly welcome and very appreciated, thanks in advance.

onlugassy

Commendable
May 15, 2019
According to Cary Holtzman all those X299 boards have issues, very touchy and require guaranteed compatible ram.
Google ASUS rampage vi extreme issues, 476,000 results.
I see, I'll take the RAM sticks to a friend's place then to confirm if it's indeed an issue with the motherboard.
hopefully that will be it and I can move on to getting it working properly.

What is the exact part number of your Tridentz Royal memory? Have you checked the Gskill site to see if it is listed as compatible? Almost sounds like a setting is off in the Bios messing with the memory. Did you have an earlier bios with the old memory ?

Last edited: