Nov 30, 2023
I recently (september 202 through january 2023) built a new rig because my skylake build was starting to have issues and I also wanted to bump up to a high refresh rate 1440p environment from my old 60hz 1080p mode.

My system worked superbly (I enabled the AMD smart memory stuff asap) from the get go, and I was running windows 10 64 bit initially. After a few months, I was offered a free upgrade to Windows 11, which I took, which did not require a clean install. Everything still worked fine, I could alt-tab at break-neck speeds between anything I wanted.

One day, about 2 ish months ago, my PC failed to boot about 3 times in a row. Eventually, I was prompted to run an OS repair to get anywhere. Happy to not lose any documents compared to having to install windows fresh, I went with this option and the repair went off without a problem.

At first everything seemed fine and seemed to work the same. However, I quickly noticed that as soon as I launched ANY game (be it via the RIOT games client, vis steam, or from anywhere else, whether it is a 2D game or 3D game) that windows (explorer and web browsing...basically anything that was NOT the game itself) started lagging profoundly. I am talking about less than a frame per second, image updates every few seconds, with bursts of single digit fps, simply moving my cursor around etc.. However, alt-tabbing back to the game (whether a highly demanding game or not) would remove any and all lagg with about a second's delay, running the games smoothly at normal fps for my system and setup. This windows lagg persists until the game in question is exited/terminated, at which point the computer runs smoothly again. The lagg never starts unless I start a game and alt-tab out of the game.

I also tried out windows 11 HDR calibration tool, but only did this after the problem started. (I was not looking for a solution through this tool, just hoping to see if picture quality could be improved)

What I have tried so far:

1. Checked drivers for all my hardware.
2. Reinstalled GPU drivers.
3. Ran software that checks hardware health. No issues found.
4. Unplugged and replugged my RAM.
5. Uninstalled all games and reinstalled them.
6. Checked for malware with windows defender and malwarebytes. No malware found.
7. Checked temps, and loads while issue is active but image refreshes so seldomly that I can't get s read in task manager etc.
8. Disk clean up.
9. Googled solutions but everything is very basic like "maybe your computer can't handle windows 11?" Or "maybe you have malware" etc.

So, what else can I try that does not involve a fresh install. I would like to keep that option as a last resort as I have a bunch of files I would need to transfer into some sort of holding place, and figuring that out would take a day at least.

My system, in case anyone would recognize clues from there:

Motherboard: asus tuf gaming b550 (the non wifi model)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

RAM: DDR4 Corsair Dominator 3200mhz cl15 (according to hardware scans) (first response latency unknown)

STORAGE: Samsung 980 Nvme ssd, 1TB, + some cheapo 256GB nvme (OS drive), + an older SSD 2.5 SAMSUNG 500GB thing for extra storage.

GPU: AMD Powercolor 7900XT

PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ semi modular.

MONITOR: (not sure how this could affect anything, but anyways) KTC M27T20.

I am suspecting/hoping that there COULD be some OS fix I don't know about that could be done, and really hoping I don't have to spend a weekend backing up files to make a clean OS install.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
So, what else can I try that does not involve a fresh install. I would like to keep that option as a last resort as I have a bunch of files I would need to transfer into some sort of holding place, and figuring that out would take a day at least.
A fresh install is the first thing I would try.

Inplace upgrade sometimes have issues.

And your data needs to be backed up anyway, always.
So, do that.

Nov 30, 2023
A fresh install is the first thing I would try.

Inplace upgrade sometimes have issues.

And your data needs to be backed up anyway, always.
So, do that.
Hi!
Thanks for such a speedy reply!

Yeh, I realize it's good practice, but I am pretty busy until next week's weekend and don't have the time to fiddle around with files until then.

Hoping there might be something else I can try that I have missed until then.

Thanks anyways. :)

USAFRet

Titan
Hi!
Thanks for such a speedy reply!

Yeh, I realize it's good practice, but I am pretty busy until next week's weekend and don't have the time to fiddle around with files until then.

Hoping there might be something else I can try that I have missed until then.

Thanks anyways. :)
Well, thats the standard excuse.."I'm too busy right now".
What if all this twiddling around results in total data loss, even from something as simple as a misclick.

Backing up your data is not simply "good practice". It is as crucial as changing the oil in your car.

Nov 30, 2023
Well, thats the standard excuse.."I'm too busy right now".
What if all this twiddling around results in total data loss, even from something as simple as a misclick.

Backing up your data is not simply "good practice". It is as crucial as changing the oil in your car.
Excuse or not, that's not an option for right now.

Thanks for trying to help.